British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DSC67

0-0 ?

There was a 3-0 at Berwick last night , not unusual but fairly rare .  I was wondering if anyone had witnessed a 0-0 where no riders finished the race ?  

12 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

There was a 3-0 at Berwick last night , not unusual but fairly rare .  I was wondering if anyone had witnessed a 0-0 where no riders finished the race ?  

I DID, at the old Reading stadium many, many moons ago. Cannot fully remember the circumstances but think there was at least one exclusion followed by engine failures and falls. 

• Like 1

This might be all wrong. It's an age thing......

Wasn't it Rick Miller that was the only rider to finish a race at Brandon only to find he'd been excluded for not trying. He spent most of the race performing wheelies for the crowd. That was a 0-0.

• Like 5

At Exeter on a Bank Holiday Monday many, many moons ago. Heat 2 1st guy breaks the tapes and gets excluded. Re-run all three come down in the first turn, two of them get injured, ref excludes one anyway as primary cause. Single guy lines up for the third time of asking and suffers an engine failure. Someone may remember it better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Isotonic said:

At Exeter on a Bank Holiday Monday many, many moons ago. Heat 2 1st guy breaks the tapes and gets excluded. Re-run all three come down in the first turn, two of them get injured, ref excludes one anyway as primary cause. Single guy lines up for the third time of asking and suffers an engine failure. Someone may remember it better.

That was the kind of situation I was thinking about 

5 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Have a feeling that a 0-0 was declared at White City (vs Swindon) back in 1978 but can't recall the details?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Have a feeling that a 0-0 was declared at White City (vs Swindon) back in 1978 but can't recall the details?

I guessed it might have happened on a few occasions just I've never witnessed one  yet 

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I DID, at the old Reading stadium many, many moons ago. Cannot fully remember the circumstances but think there was at least one exclusion followed by engine failures and falls. 

I also was there- 1969 v Plymouth heat 8 1st attempt Plymouth`s John Ellis suffered an EF and was excluded for not being under power when the race was stopped on the 2nd lap when away rider Chris Roynon(father of Adam) had racers rider Bob Tabet off and was excluded leaving just Tabet and his partner Dene Davies to cruise round in the re-run for a 5-0  !!! However Davies fell on the 1st lap and Tabet on the 2nd.  My thanks to Arnie Gibbons`s wonderful book " tears and Glory" for the details.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, False dawn said:

This might be all wrong. It's an age thing......

Wasn't it Rick Miller that was the only rider to finish a race at Brandon only to find he'd been excluded for not trying. He spent most of the race performing wheelies for the crowd. That was a 0-0.

You're not wrong as that's exactly what happened. One by one the riders were excluded leaving Rick Miller to race by himself but he was deemed not to have been making a bona fide attempt to race so was excluded. Referee was my friend Geoff Dalby and he went down in my estimation that day. 

6 hours ago, DSC67 said:

Yes and no, as it wasn't a team meeting. But in an indoor meeting in Kiel I did witness a heat where nobody finished. Well they did, but the one rider that made it to the end was excluded by the ref for 'not trying', which was probably a bit harsh seeing as so many riders had problems with the concrete surface and a number (Tobi Kroner, I think broke a leg) were injured

6 hours ago, DSC67 said:

You were probably there at Berrington Lough to witness fifteen 5-0`s when Belle Vue failed to turn up for their league meeting against Berwick.

8 minutes ago, screm said:

You were probably there at Berrington Lough to witness fifteen 5-0`s when Belle Vue failed to turn up for their league meeting against Berwick.

I don't think it ended up as 15 5-0s I'm sure there where some  engine failures , I wasn't actually at the meeting but I remember it 

7 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

I don't think it ended up as 15 5-0s I'm sure there where some  engine failures , I wasn't actually at the meeting but I remember it 

You are right, meeting finished 60-0 to Berwick, season 1991.

44 minutes ago, screm said:

You are right, meeting finished 60-0 to Berwick, season 1991.

Peterborough 'beat' Oxford 40-0 in 1976 when 'The Cheetahs' refused to take to the track deeming it unfit for racing.

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

You're not wrong as that's exactly what happened. One by one the riders were excluded leaving Rick Miller to race by himself but he was deemed not to have been making a bona fide attempt to race so was excluded. Referee was my friend Geoff Dalby and he went down in my estimation that day. 

Thanks for that confirmation. I'm only usually wrong when I think I was wrong. :blink:

Seriously, I started to convince myself that it was that other American Billy Janniro.

And I agree with you. How can a ref exclude a rider for not racing when he's the only competitor left in the race?

• Like 1