British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DSC67

0-0 ?

3 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Thanks for that confirmation. I'm only usually wrong when I think I was wrong. :blink:

Seriously, I started to convince myself that it was that other American Billy Janniro.

And I agree with you. How can a ref exclude a rider for not racing when he's the only competitor left in the race?

There was a ruling that stated if a rider wasn't making a bona fide attempt to race than the referee had the the right to exclude him...or some such wording. One of those curious and somewhat controversial rulings. I seem to remember two riders from the same team were excluded for the offence even though there was no opposition!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

There was a ruling that stated if a rider wasn't making a bona fide attempt to race than the referee had the the right to exclude him...or some such wording. One of those curious and somewhat controversial rulings. I seem to remember two riders from the same team were excluded for the offence even though there was no opposition!

5 April 1970 Chris Blythe and Malcolm Mackay for Workington at Rochdale ( coincidentally Worky's first ever away meeting)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks Steve. The rule was quoted at the time and yes, by-the-book, the ref was correct. But it's odd isn't it? Watching one rider, riding for a 3-0 is not very entertaining is it? But seeing the same rider doing one handed wheelies and waving to the crowd makes everyone smile. Ho hum.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Thanks Steve. The rule was quoted at the time and yes, by-the-book, the ref was correct. But it's odd isn't it? Watching one rider, riding for a 3-0 is not very entertaining is it? But seeing the same rider doing one handed wheelies and waving to the crowd makes everyone smile. Ho hum.

Can understand the ruling if it's two riders on the track but it's a bit odd when it's just one rider . Strangely enough I was discussing with a friend last night how you used to see wheelie competitions at meetings at one time, I guess that's another thing that's disappeared a bit like mechanics races and such like 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

Can understand the ruling if it's two riders on the track but it's a bit odd when it's just one rider . Strangely enough I was discussing with a friend last night how you used to see wheelie competitions at meetings at one time, I guess that's another thing that's disappeared a bit like mechanics races and such like 

Recall Wiggy pulling a wheelie when crossing the finishing line during a Test Match at Cowley thinking that he had just completed an unbeeten 18 point maximum...only to be excluded!

• Like 1

I think it happened in the 70's when Leicester travelled to Belle Vue for a 'top of the table clash'. Belle Vue hadn't lost at home for ages but Leicester were leading 37-35 with one race to go. Heat 13 was stopped after a crash, with one of the home team excluded. A fracas ensued which ended up with most of the riders and mechanics etc. involved, along with various other people. The referee proceeded to exclude the other riders under the two minute rule and declared the meeting over!

I wasn't there myself but I wish I had been. I believe there are differing versions as to why the last race didn't happen but the result was definitely 37-35 to Leicester.

• Like 1

Heat 12 of the league match between Cradley Heath and Exeter in June 1966 had 3 finishers and produced a score of 0-0.  Well, not quite, as the race was actually declared void by the referee.  Exeter's Chris Blewett won the race after a forceful piece of riding caused his team mate Jack Geran and Cradley's Chris Julian and Chum Taylor to fall.  Julian and Geran remounted and the result was initially declared as 2-4, but following a protest by the home team the race was declared void.  It might have been more appropriate to stop the race and exclude the cause of the stoppage from a re-run.

• Like 1

If we are including whole matches then I seem to remember going over to Long Eaton when the visiting team refused to ride so the Long Eaton riders got 5-0's in every race. I think the other team was Middlesborough.

3 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Middlesborough

You spell it like that and you'll get the sack as the team manager!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, False dawn said:

You spell it like that and you'll get the sack as the team manager!

Funny, isn't it? Doesn't matter what name they used 'Boro (which is a strangely incorrect abbreviation) or Teesside, people had trouble with the spelling.

That's why it's much easier these days with Reddcar... :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Icicle said:

Try living in Edinbro........

Or as the Americans say, EdinBURG! The other ones that get me are Glass-cow and WimbleTon!

Just now, chunky said:

Or as the Americans say, EdinBURG! The other ones that get me are Glass-cow and WimbleTon!

... And Lye-cester, Nor-witch, Birming-HAM...

The best I know of was overhearing (US) tourist asking how to get of Youfall? Until a local realised they had asked about Uphall (pronounced Up- hall..)

7 hours ago, Vulcan62 said:

I think it happened in the 70's when Leicester travelled to Belle Vue for a 'top of the table clash'. Belle Vue hadn't lost at home for ages but Leicester were leading 37-35 with one race to go. Heat 13 was stopped after a crash, with one of the home team excluded. A fracas ensued which ended up with most of the riders and mechanics etc. involved, along with various other people. The referee proceeded to exclude the other riders under the two minute rule and declared the meeting over!

I wasn't there myself but I wish I had been. I believe there are differing versions as to why the last race didn't happen but the result was definitely 37-35 to Leicester.

I can see the pictures now...Alan Cowland and Alan Wilkinson being restrained. I think that Tom Leadbitter was somewhat useful with his fists on that occasion?