British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DSC67

0-0 ?

I cannot not remember seeing a 0-0 but I have seen a 15-0 in a Trackstar Anglia Junior League at Wimbledon in 1979 where all the opposition riders against Wimbledon had no finishers. In fact looking at the records of the Trackstar Anglia Junior League there have been several 15-0 results I did not know what happened in these meetings though.

12 hours ago, arnieg said:

5 April 1970 Chris Blythe and Malcolm Mackay for Workington at Rochdale ( coincidentally Worky's first ever away meeting)

Are u sure it wasnt "vic longsdale" in place of chris blythe?

Kent vs Cradley in 2014 finished with a 0-0 in heat 2. Im sure it was something daft like a rider not under power when a rider fell then the two Cradley riders left the track thinking the race would be awarded? Someone with a better memory will correct me but was certainly a strange atmosphere as it all happened. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Are u sure it wasnt "vic longsdale" in place of chris blythe?

My info comes from Speedwayresearcher - Workington 1970 file.

12 hours ago, False dawn said:

You spell it like that and you'll get the sack as the team manager!

Wish I'd picked Newcastle now as I can spell that. :D So presumably Middlesbrough?  The English language is so difficult I'm surprised anyone can learn it. I mean why is it Loughborough  not Loughbrough then, which is not far from us and why on earth  is Leicester spelt like that. What's wrong with Lester? :P

17 minutes ago, Gemini said:

What's wrong with Lester?

It's not Coventry! :D

The Middlesbrough Middlesborough quip was a real story, I think (??). I'm sure I remember one of their last team managers (or at least a member of management) getting a set of body colours made with the wrong spelling. He left the club shortly after. :shock:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

My info comes from Speedwayresearcher - Workington 1970 file.

I was going off memory had a look at that site cant believe the race times at derwent park in the 80 secs bracket was  still good to watch though, who needs super engines.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, Gemini said:

You're not wrong as that's exactly what happened. One by one the riders were excluded leaving Rick Miller to race by himself but he was deemed not to have been making a bona fide attempt to race so was excluded. Referee was my friend Geoff Dalby and he went down in my estimation that day. 

Absolutely bonkers!!! That's being a jobs worth of the highest order.....how can you race without an opponent? Lol crazy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kent vs Cradley in 2014 finished with a 0-0 in heat 2. Im sure it was something daft like a rider not under power when a rider fell then the two Cradley riders left the track thinking the race would be awarded? Someone with a better memory will correct me but was certainly a strange atmosphere as it all happened. 

Greaves rode to the pits after someone  fell bend 2 (thinking the race was gonna be stopped)and was excluded. Then Ayres and Phillip's either fell or had mechanicals and both set off to push for 3 laps, both were excluded for not completing the race in 3 mins.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

Absolutely bonkers!!! That's being a jobs worth of the highest order.....how can you race without an opponent? Lol crazy

I seem to remember he pulled wheelies down every straight to keep the crowd entertained as they watched the less than edge of the seat spectacle of one rider completing four laps all alone..

Obviously the ref didn't appreciate his efforts..

Or lack of them as he saw it... :rolleyes:

You have to remember though that the crowd were primarily there to watch him referee, not to be entertained by the show the riders were putting on for them... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Think I remember seeing one at Brandon.  Last rider was Chris Manchester, who decided to pull a wheelie all the way down the back straight, and was promptly excluded for not racing properly.

The referee was Frank Edbon surprisingly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mb1990 said:

Think I remember seeing one at Brandon.  Last rider was Chris Manchester, who decided to pull a wheelie all the way down the back straight, and was promptly excluded for not racing properly.

The referee was Frank Edbon surprisingly

I think I can remember reading about that particular one 

On 9/3/2019 at 12:20 AM, teaboy279 said:

Greaves rode to the pits after someone  fell bend 2 (thinking the race was gonna be stopped)and was excluded. Then Ayres and Phillip's either fell or had mechanicals and both set off to push for 3 laps, both were excluded for not completing the race in 3 mins.

I've got that one on a DVD and it's like something out of a circus.  In the first running Ayres knocks off Jason Garrod and both fall off, for some reason Garrod is excluded.  In the rerun Ayres falls on his own, as he tries to get up the two Cradley riders knock each other off half a lap further on.  Greaves remounts but thinking the race has been stopped due to all the carnage rides back into the pits leaving the ridiculous sight of Ayres and Phillips trying to push start their bikes half a lap apart.  With the crowd laughing their heads off the referee waits for a bit and then excludes both of them for exceeding the time limit thus ending possibly the funniest and most ridiculous speedway race I have ever seen!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, False dawn said:

And I agree with you. How can a ref exclude a rider for not racing when he's the only competitor left in the race?

Quite aside from 'not making a bona-fide attempt to race', a heat has a time limit of 3 minutes. So the last rider could have an engine failure and not have time to push home, although not sure whether that would be actually classified as an exclusion or 'retired'. 

The last rider might also miss the two minute warning or touch the tapes with no reserve replacement available. In fact, all four riders in a race could conceivably be excluded this way. 

Another way would be for the last rider to fall themselves whilst 'genuinely making an attempt to race' and thereby be excluded as the primary cause of the stoppage. :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby