British Speedway Forum
George Dodds

Berwick v Edinburgh & Glasgow Saturday 7 September 6.30pm

Thoroughly enjoyed last night as it everything a night at the speedway should have, good atmosphere, big crowd and a bit of controversy, all done just about on time so credit to all for getting through both meetings. 

Sadly Edinburgh were seen off with relative ease, one gripe I have is seeing riders give up halfway through the race, something that all to often from our visitors.

Glasgow was always going to be the tougher of the two meetings and so it proved with Glasgow looking to get something out of the meeting right up to the end. IMO the correct call was giving in HT15 to exclude Craig Cook, he did get a better run down the straight than Jye Etheridge but unfortunately ran out of room and sent the Berwick rider to the fence. Loved to know what was said on the phone between the Glasgow manager and referee as I can't recall a referee leaving his box to talk to a team manager on the centre green and by the looks of things he was inviting out for a pint afterwards.

Edinburghs play off dreams ended last night while Berwicks are just about alive,  yes it's going to take something strange but where there's life there's hope and we haven't given up quite yet

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Left after the first meeting couldn’t stand through another 15 heats of gate and go. All for trying to get through it quickly but at least apply the rules ridiculous amount of false starts tonight.

Bandits were on fire tonight and well we are completely rubbish. Same score 2nd meeting bandits.

I am sure you had your reasons  but I must admit I find it odd that anyone would leave after the first meeting of two. Anyway you missed a cracker.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Heat 15, he went for a gap to overtake Jye Etheridge, there was contact, Jye came off, Cook was excluded. Nothing wrong with the move, it was hard, there was a gap, he went for it. The decision was right. There was bravado afterwards, finger pointing, threats, pantomime stuff. It all added to the atmosphere. The noise generated by both sets of fans in the second meeting was brilliant and this just ramped it up a bit. Glasgow meetings are always special, because they bring a load of fans. The more fans create a better atmosphere. There is a good bond between the two clubs as well.

Cook is the rider Berwick fans love to hate, mainly because of his time as an Edinburgh rider and the fact he is so bloody good around the place. I reckon if you asked Berwick fans they would say that they love booing him but they also admire him because he is damn good to watch around Shielfield.

Absolutely a bit of pantomime and booing the ‘villain’ gets everyone talking 

13 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Left after the first meeting couldn’t stand through another 15 heats of gate and go. All for trying to get through it quickly but at least apply the rules ridiculous amount of false starts tonight.

Bandits were on fire tonight and well we are completely rubbish. Same score 2nd meeting bandits.

You should have stayed for a proper , competative meeting between two decent sides 

• Like 7

Think Edinburgh and Glasgow got of lightly last night if Spud had been fit IMO would have scored more than Ben's 12 points in both matches no disrespect to Ben who as usual was a very entertaining guest, are we using him against Brum? 

After last night I hope Berwick do reach the play offs , if you thought the tension and atmosphere was good last night , can you imagine a play off final 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Very good atmosphere for the Glasgow part of the meeting. Watching from the third bend I couldn’t be certain there was contact, but people who had a better view said otherwise. 

From my viewpoint on the back straight there was no way both riders were going to get round the bend Cook had to much speed and just kept going out . I don't think I've ever seen Jye as riled up as that ever before 

4 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Think Edinburgh and Glasgow got of lightly last night if Spud had been fit IMO would have scored more than Ben's 12 points in both matches no disrespect to Ben who as usual was a very entertaining guest, are we using him against Brum? 

Likewise if we had Starke . But without the it's and buts , it was still a very good meeting 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bandit59 said:

Is Nico Covatti available ? He was the original guest wasn't he ? 

Sounds as if it was a good meeting well done to Berwick , be good if you can reach the play offs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bandits4eva said:

The play offs are still alive... GIFUY Cami Brown :icon_smile_clown: :lol:

What's he been up to now ?.

7 minutes ago, Paulco said:

After last night I hope Berwick do reach the play offs , if you thought the tension and atmosphere was good last night , can you imagine a play off final 

With the same ref ?  :D

1 minute ago, Gazc said:

Sounds as if it was a good meeting well done to Berwick , be good if you can reach the play offs.

Berwick have to get 4 points against us at Ashfield to have a chance in the playoffs.

Brilliant night, Reggie paid 15 max against Edinburgh is absolute fairytale stuff and you could tell he was loving it, 60-30 is a brilliant way to end Edinburgh’s play off hopes for the second year running.

Atmosphere for the Glasgow meeting was probably the best atmosphere I’ve seen at home for a long long time, Reggie beating Cookie in heat 11 and then the dramatic heat 15, Cookie trying a desperate move against one of the worst riders ever in this league’ and the noise when he got excluded and the whole dramatics on the pitch were brilliant, I’d love to know what was said in that ‘meeting’, first time I’ve came away from Shielfield Park buzzing in a few years that’s for sure! Now we need 4 points at Birmingham on Wednesday which will leave us needing all 4 points at Glasgow next Tuesday, all I’m saying is it’s a shame it’s on a Tuesday because that could of been a terrific night with fans after last night. Up the bandits.

Why has Dick all of a sudden started blaming the Edinburgh Evening News for the infamous quote about Jye's abilities? :blink: