British Speedway Forum
Andy Downes

Most Unpopular Rider

Recently, there's been a lot of criticism and general bad karma surrounding Craig Cook - coming from many different directions. I know he has never been the most popular of riders but some of the recent vitriol has got me thinking. Who was the most unpopular/hated rider and more importantly why?

I know in the past there have been many 'pantomime villains' who play to the crowd as much as anything; certainly at Crayford the mere mention of the name Kelvin Mullarkey would lead to a chorus of boos; but riders like these were those we 'loved to hate' rather than have a genuine dislike about

Who do you think was an unpopular rider and why?

• Like 1

Ove Fundin. At least at Plough Lane. And he told me himself he was booed and had things thrown at him. It was because he often beat local hero Ronnie Moore. He said to me, he liked the track, but the locals didn't like him.....chuckling away, as he remembered

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Ove Fundin. At least at Plough Lane. And he told me himself he was booed and had things thrown at him. It was because he often beat local hero Ronnie Moore. He said to me, he liked the track, but the locals didn't like him.....chuckling away, as he remembered

Ove was booed at most tracks because he always beat local heroes. Ivan Mauger suffered in the same way.

I would think the most unpopular rider has been Nicki Pedersen.

Edited by norbold
spelling
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Ole Olsen

Olsen was one of the riders I was thinking of.The main one,when it came to universal unpopularity... Seem to remember he got booed when he won a world title, but couldn't recall which

• Like 1

Ove Fundin was thought of as a dirty rider at the outset , he was also deeply unpopular when riding for Wembley on their brief revival as  he cried off for away meetings at short notice and alarming regularity.

Fundin, Mauger, Olsen, Pedersen.

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Fundin, Mauger, Olsen, Pedersen.

You know, that would probably be the most named four...

Funny how the most unpopular riders are all multi-world champs; says it all, really!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jenga said:

careful how you tread !

Well, none of those were English!  Or Australian, for that matter...

Yes, I'm prodding! :party:

13 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Bernt Persson, Bob Valentine and Alan Wilkinson.

'Wilkie' was an extremely tough competitor but I would like to think fair. I well recall the time at Cowley when he objected to some offence and came striding out of the pits and ripped the tapes from their sockets to the boos of the crowd. However he was well respected by his rider colleagues (John Davis amongst them) and was fiiercely loyal to his team mates. His great buddy, Chris Pusey, never really got over Wilkie's accident apparently.

Edited by steve roberts

2 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Alan Grahame, could dish it out, but could not receive it. 

I was never a fan of him.

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was never a fan of him.

Nor me Steve, always will remember Wolves October 17/1975. if you now what I am talking about ? Still have nightmares about that night!