British Speedway Forum
Andy Downes

Most Unpopular Rider

I was thinking of mentioning Ivor Brown myself-the man all non Cradley Heath fans loved to hate. Always good box office, always called upon for Open meetings.  On a side note loved the old Harum-Scarum Provincial League-great racing and great personalities.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I was thinking of mentioning Ivor Brown myself-the man all non Cradley Heath fans loved to hate. Always good box office, always called upon for Open meetings.  On a side note loved the old Harum-Scarum Provincial League-great racing and great personalities.

Ivor Brown was a mild-mannered quietly spoken man, pleasant to meet and speak with.
It's only envy by rival supporters, whipped up by press and ghost writers of a certain biography, that gave rise to Ivor's title. Most top successful riders have gone thru that phase, - e.g. Fundin, and even Mauger himself, who was one of the least accommodating of fans. 
That said, Brown was never successful as an individual, - i.e. in individual mtgs. It was his consistent team performances and scoring, which put him at the top of Prov'l Lge averages until Mauger rose to the fore, that made his name and reputation.
3-Ivor-Brown-Ove-Fundin-1963-Ox-v-Plg.jp 

Edited by britmet

Agreed Britmet and I meant no disrespect to Ivor who I always enjoyed seeing riding-he was unpopular with away fans only because he was so good  and would beat the favourite riders of their tracks on their home territory

I met Ivor Brown a few times in later life when he played bowls for Loughborough BC - a very quiet and polite gentleman, always a pleasure to meet

Of course, when he rode for Cradley Heath in his pristine white jersey, off track he wore a pristine white coat when behind the counter of his store in Wymeswold 

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 5:19 PM, Wessex Wanderer said:

To return to the original topic, I am surprised no one has mentioned Ivor Brown who was universally disliked in the Provincial League. Everyone it seemed wanted to see him have his pristine white jersey covered in shale by an opposition rider. Probably his uncompromising style went a long way to making him unpopular. 

Only one rider was ever ever unpopular over a long period at Weymouth and that was Mike Sampson. An incident where he retired and waited for Kelvin  Mullarkey to come round and somehow grabbed him and pulled him off his bike just as Kelvin was coming out of the second bend was never forgotten. I did once suggest some sort of rider exchange at a meeting which would have brought Mike to Weymouth and I instantly found out what it is like to be heckled and the subject of hostile booing! 

:)

Remember that meeting,was that the meeting when the track resembled Weymouth beach?i remember the seyco championship in 1977 when mal corradine stalked him for 3 laps  before passing Sampson on his way to winning the meeting,we should have signed Sampson when Eastbourne moved up

On 9/3/2019 at 10:03 PM, ch958 said:

Loram rode Div 2

Think he started with British League Hackney in 1987.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Think he started with British League Hackney in 1987.

Sure that he was their nominated junior?

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Sure that he was their nominated junior?

Mark  was Steve,  was that the year Surman rode at Oxford? and after did Paul Dugard ride remember Per Sorensen improving out of sight for the cheetahs mainly down to the professor.!!!!

• Like 1

Oh I remember Loram riding round before he was even on the team. Think he was the mascot. Sure I even have a team pic and he is there in his gear when he was too young for a team place

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Oh I remember Loram riding round before he was even on the team. Think he was the mascot. Sure I even have a team pic and he is there in his gear when he was too young for a team place

You and me both!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Mark  was Steve,  was that the year Surman rode at Oxford? and after did Paul Dugard ride remember Per Sorensen improving out of sight for the cheetahs mainly down to the professor.!!!!

Jon was our nominated junior in 1986 (first year of it's introduction). Paul rode as a reserve in 1989 and although showing some signs of potential basically wasted his talent. Per was one of the un-sung heroes but his signing proved crucial and turned "The Cheetahs' into a super team in 1986!

On 9/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, Tracy Bird said:

Remember that meeting,was that the meeting when the track resembled Weymouth beach?i remember the seyco championship in 1977 when mal corradine stalked him for 3 laps  before passing Sampson on his way to winning the meeting,we should have signed Sampson when Eastbourne moved up

That was a year or two later. I well remember that one too - it was the only time I have ever seen the rakers pulling the “dirt”(thick sand that night) OUT towards the fence. The riders ended up using just the inside two thirds of the track. Eastbourne were not very popular in the NL at the time with their seemingly win at all costs attitude but they deserve full credit for continuing in this instance. Many teams would have just pulled out (with justification if I am honest). 

The time I suggested signing Mike Sampson was when the Reading management took over for a season. Unfortunately as well as being met with hostility from some fans the promoters made it clear that they knew much better. So we went ahead to a disappointing season of under achievement. 

Good old Weymouth Speedway- not many trophies but always something happening. 

:)

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 7:38 PM, steve roberts said:

Jon was our nominated junior in 1986 (first year of it's introduction). Paul rode as a reserve in 1989 and although showing some signs of potential basically wasted his talent. Per was one of the un-sung heroes but his signing proved crucial and turned "The Cheetahs' into a super team in 1986!

I think Steve 1986 might of been the year Hans broke Mauger's highest average of 11.74....? not  quite sure but in later years did Ivan's 11.74 figure get reduced because of a tape exclusion.? Nielsen was an awesome rider he posted four 11 point averages on the trott from 1985/88 an alltime great but in 1986 was very fortunate to get away with the Knudsen incident.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think Steve 1986 might of been the year Hans broke Mauger's highest average of 11.74....? not  quite sure but in later years did Ivan's 11.74 figure get reduced because of a tape exclusion.? Nielsen was an awesome rider he posted four 11 point averages on the trott from 1985/88 an alltime great but in 1986 was very fortunate to get away with the Knudsen incident.

Yes I have to admit Sid having been present at Poland that year my heart was very much in my mouth. Trouble with Tommy Knudsen is that he used to be in the habit of riding 'square bends' and on trying to correct himself found that Hans had filled the gap. I had witnessed on numerous occasions both Tommy amd Hans riding each other up to the fence. Both hard competitors. Knudsen once attempted to ride Marvyn Cox wide but 'Cocker' was wise to it and cut up the inside of him and rode to magnificent 5-1 with Hans to register a last gasp Oxford win...much to the anguish of the Coventry fans preseent.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I have to admit Sid having been present at Poland that year my heart was very much in my mouth. Trouble with Tommy Knudsen is that he used to be in the habit of riding 'square bends' and on trying to correct himself found that Hans had filled the gap. I had witnessed on numerous occasions both Tommy amd Hans riding each other up to the fence. Both hard competitors. Knudsen once attempted to ride Marvyn Cox wide but 'Cocker' was wise to it and cut up the inside of him and rode to magnificent 5-1 with Hans to register a last gasp Oxford win...much to the anguish of the Coventry fans preseent.

Hans getting that call was his reward for taking thing's on the chin when thing's went against him in the years before that.That rule has annoyed me for decades Steve,  me and you could see the Knudsen/Nielsen-  Penhall/Carter incident differently but who is wrong ? neither of us.Why couldn't both of those races be all four back? nobody could ever be certain in both instances and as a result the public was robbed of a great spectacle.Going back to Nielsen saw most of his Cowley home meeting's from 1984/ 88 and had many a good night in there restaurant the guy was a machine awesome.

• Like 1