British Speedway Forum
Andy Downes

Most Unpopular Rider

4 hours ago, chunky said:

when I beat Eric Bristow in his last-ever World Championship appearance.

Ah, right. I know who you are now!  :D

38 minutes ago, norbold said:

Ah, right. I know who you are now!  :D

You hadn't seen the "Wanted" posters?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, chunky said:

I think you can look at similar cases at most tracks. At Plough Lane, Steve Bastable was the evil one after Rudy Muts suffered serious injury.  Rudy was never the same after that.

Steve

...and I guess Preben Eriksen would be another at Plough Lane after his 'tangle' with Kelvin Tatum at Wolves. Apparently Eriksen was targeted by some members of the 'Dons' team during the return at Wimbledon.

Edited by steve roberts

11 hours ago, iris123 said:

A sportsperson would understand, a fan would understand. You would also think that a journalist of long standing would understand the spirit in which sport is played out and that there are always going to be popular and unpopular participants. It often pays to be unpopular. A lot have made a career out of it all. Like I said Fundin understood the reason he was unpopular, was that he was so good. Being popular wasn't important, being successful was. If he could go to Wimbledon and beat one of the most popular riders in the sport and along the way get a few boos, it was a price he was more than willing to pay, and it was something he was expecting. If there was a journalist, a forum member who despite all the years connected to the sport, didn't really understand some of the emotions, then it would be gustix..... 

Jack Millen was painted as a villain but he had the respect of his fellow riders and he was regarded as one of the nicest guys you could of met.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Jack Millen was painted as a villain but he had the respect of his fellow riders and he was regarded as one of the nicest guys you could of met.

Yes, Sid, John Davis was very complimentary of him in an interview he gave in "Backtrack" some years ago. Len Silver was very distressed over Jack's tragic end and thought very highly of him.

Edited by steve roberts

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Sid, John Davis was very complimentary of him in an interview he gave in "Backtrack" some years ago. Len Silver was very distressed over Jack's tragic end and thought very highly of him.

Terrific with young riders he would give them lots of help he  was great mates with the great Phil Crump.

• Like 1

I remember Jack once taking Ivan Mauger's carb apart at B/vue  while Ivan was getting changed to see any mods he had ,when Ivan returned someone informed him of what Jack had done to which he replied at least he will have put it back together properly ! 

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, FAST GATER said:

I remember Jack once taking Ivan Mauger's carb apart at B/vue  while Ivan was getting changed to see any mods he had ,when Ivan returned someone informed him of what Jack had done to which he replied at least he will have put it back together properly ! 

Garry Middleton did a similar thing to Briggo's engine...when Briggo caught him red handed!

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:12 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Did the same happen to the great Shawn Moran TMC ???

Yes, that was the case with Shawn too - as he admitted in Backtrack yonks ago.

• Like 1