British Speedway Forum
Andy Downes

Most Unpopular Rider

1 minute ago, sommelier said:

Nor me Steve, always will remember Wolves October 17/1975. if you now what I am talking about ? Still have nightmares about that night!

The very sad occasion of Gary Peterson's death.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Mauger, Fundin, Nicki Pedersen, Preben Eriksen and Tim Hunt were two also that really crossed  over the line at time's.

Ivan ????

13 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

'Wilkie' was an extremely tough competitor but I would like to think fair. I well recall the time at Cowley when he objected to some offence and came striding out of the pits and ripped the tapes from their sockets to the boos of the crowd. However he was well respected by his rider colleagues (John Davis amongst them) and was fiiercely loyal to his team mates. His great buddy, Chris Pusey, never really got over Wilkie's accident apparently.

In my years (50s onwards) as a spectator, mechanic and sponsor, those three stood out as being unpopular, they might well have been adored by their own fans etc but I was going by the thread title.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Mauger, Fundin, Nicki Pedersen, Preben Eriksen and Tim Hunt were two also that really crossed  over the line at time's.

Tim Hunt was as "mad as a hatter" but apparently a very nice bloke!

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

'Wilkie' was an extremely tough competitor but I would like to think fair. I well recall the time at Cowley when he objected to some offence and came striding out of the pits and ripped the tapes from their sockets to the boos of the crowd. However he was well respected by his rider colleagues (John Davis amongst them) and was fiiercely loyal to his team mates. His great buddy, Chris Pusey, never really got over Wilkie's accident apparently.

Regarding your comment on Chris Pusey, what a rider, so underestimated 

Simon Cross. Remember when he walked out on Oxford after a 'disagreement' with the late Ashley Pullen. Although adored by Cradley fans I felt he rode erractically taking riders out...an example being at Dudley Wood when Oxford were the visitors in 1985 and he left both Simon Wigg and Andy Grahame nowhere to go (in seperate incidents) on the second bend. Personally I felt that he was a classic example of riding the man rather than the track and guilty of 'over-riding' on occasions.

Edited by steve roberts

Just now, sommelier said:

Regarding your comment on Chris Pusey, what a rider, so underestimated 

Yes I've spoken to Ian Cartwright on a number of occasions and he spoke of Chris being the absolute wrong guy to have been a pub landlord when he held such a postion. But yes people talk of the great Hyde Rode heroes (Collons and Morton) but Chris, who could be equally spectacular, is rarely mentioned.

24 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Ivan ????

The boo's that were made were out  out of respect more than anything else   he was the benchmark that everyone had to try to expire to..He certainly put bums on seats and when he came into town the place was buzzing.The incident Ivan had with Bob Kilby at the Abbey was the only time he may have been in the wrong that i ever witnessed but  he  was a hard but fair rider.

• Like 2

Neil Evitts. I know that he had a bit of a thing going with Jens Rasmussen (another hard rider) and apparently Evitts and Kelven Tatum had altercations (?). He was never really forgiven by 'Cheetah's fans' for putting in a poor guest performance for Oxford after only the previous week winning a World Championship Qualifying Meeting although rumours circulated at the time for the reasons why...whether true or not.

Edited by steve roberts

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Neil Evitts. I know that he had a bit of a thing going with Jens Rasmussen (another hard rider) and apparently Evitts and Kelven Tatum had altercations (?). He was never really forgiven by 'Cheetah's fans' for putting in a poor guest performance for Oxford after only the previous week winning a World Championship Qualifying Meeting although rumours circulated at the time for the reasons why...whether true or not.

Evitts was a tough rider i was a fan of his a very talented rider  he has been at Swindon recently helping Ellis Perks.)

52 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Tim Hunt was as "mad as a hatter" but apparently a very nice bloke!

He still is. On track he was a great "friend" of Neil Evitts.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Evitts was a tough rider i was a fan of his a very talented rider  he has been at Swindon recently helping Ellis Perks.)

Is Ellis Perks related to one-time 'Cheetah' Dave?

7 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Dave is his uncle. Dave's brother and Ellis' father is former ref Robbie Perks

Edit - correction Dave is ELLIS' great uncle.

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Yes Steve he is,  Ellis is going well this year and is doing a great job for the Budgies. Dave was a really good rider i  remember his Cradley/ Oxford days also his strong spearhead days  with Mike Sampson at Nottingham.

• Like 1