British Speedway Forum
Andy Downes

Most Unpopular Rider

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes Steve he is,  Ellis is going well this year and is doing a great job for the Budgies. Dave was a really good rider i  remember his Cradley/ Oxford days also his strong spearhead days  with Mike Sampson at Nottingham.

I think Dave Perks was the first rider to go straight in to first division with Cradley in 1972 I think ? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sommelier said:

I think Dave Perks was the first rider to go straight in to first division with Cradley in 1972 I think ? 

Yes and it was a tough ask at the time , the eighties i can remember Tatum, Screen, Loram, Doncater to name a few going BL full time without experience.

• Like 1

Surprised Kenny Carter not mentioned. He was a massive loss to the sport. But I don't think he had many fans outside of Yorkshire. The boos followed him everywhere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, falcace said:

Surprised Kenny Carter not mentioned. He was a massive loss to the sport. But I don't think he had many fans outside of Yorkshire. The boos followed him everywhere.

I was a big Kenny fan, & im from Worcestershire!

• Like 2

Mick Poole

Never left riders room and fenced Mark Loram once at Peterborough leaving Mark with shoulder injuries

On 30/9/1995 at 7:15 PM, Craig Boyce said:

Tomasz Gollob

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, sommelier said:

I was a big Kenny fan, & im from Worcestershire!

You are a rarity in the Midlands. I don't think many Team Kenny Carter coats were sold at Dudley Wood. 

I must add, there was a pantomime element to it all. Much like a lot of the riders mentioned. I loved booing Kenny Carter racing against Belle Vue. But I was also bloody glad he was in the England team too! 

• Like 1

Andy Galvin was always guaranteed a 'warm' reception at Plough Lane. Preben Eriksen had a tough time of it after a crash with Kelvin Tatum in which Tatum broke his leg. I can remember Kenny Carter breaking the track record at Belle Vue. The Aces fans were unimpressed, to put it mildly. The reception Chris Morton got a couple of races later when he broke the record was as noisy and fervent as I can ever recall at Hyde Road

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Preben Eriksen had a tough time of it after a crash with Kelvin Tatum in which Tatum broke his leg. 

i've a feeling it was more than once

On 9/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, steve roberts said:

Ole Olsen

Ole was booed because he went to any track and beat the local hero

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Flag said:

Ole was booed because he went to any track and beat the local hero

Very rarely made an appearance at Cowley (especially during the last year of "The Rebels'") giving feeble reasons for not doing so. He was often difficult and a control freak as has been highlighted by team mates and by at least one Team Manager and his handling of the Danish Team whilst still the personal manager of Erik Gundersen (who later agreed that it was wrong when interviewed in an edition of Backtrack some years ago) which caused friction amongst members of the National Team...especially with Hans Nielsen.

No not my favourite rider or, indeed, personality within speedway it has to be said. Thank goodness he turned down a move to Oxford and we got the majestic Dag Lovaas instead...who had the beating of Olsen around Monmore Green much to his annoyance!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes and it was a tough ask at the time , the eighties i can remember Tatum, Screen, Loram, Doncater to name a few going BL full time without experience.

Loram rode Div 2

11 minutes ago, ch958 said:

Loram rode Div 2

Hackney wasn`t it remember him and Galvin turning up at Cleveland Park