British Speedway Forum
Andy Downes

Most Unpopular Rider

8 hours ago, ch958 said:

Loram rode Div 2

Yes in 1988 when they were the Kestrels   changed names ( 1984- 90) they won the league. I remember Mark as a mascot and he made his debut in 1987 in the British League for the Kestrels.

Edited by Sidney the robin

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Very rarely made an appearance at Cowley (especially during the last year of "The Rebels'") giving feeble reasons for not doing so. He was often difficult and a control freak as has been highlighted by team mates and by at least one Team Manager and his handling of the Danish Team whilst still the personal manager of Erik Gundersen (who later agreed that it was wrong when interviewed in an edition of Backtrack some years ago) which caused friction amongst members of the National Team...especially with Hans Nielsen.

No not my favourite rider or, indeed, personality within speedway it has to be said. Thank goodness he turned down a move to Oxford and we got the majestic Dag Lovaas instead...who had the beating of Olsen around Monmore Green much to his annoyance!

I remember Dag beating Ole at Wolves, Dag was on a JAP!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sommelier said:

How many beat Ole around Monmore not many? Wilson/Briggs/ Mauger were amongst a small group who beat him the odd time.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

How many beat Ole around Monmore not many? Wilson/Briggs/ Mauger were amongst a small group who beat him the odd time.

Michanek had a good record at Wolves with Ole

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Yes Dag was one of the last riders to ride a JAP. One of my favourite riders together with brother Ulf.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Yes Dag was one of the last riders to ride a JAP. One of my favourite riders together with brother Ulf.

You would have warmed to Ole had he moved to Oxford, Ole such talent 

Just now, steve roberts said:

Why did he not adapt to White City Steve? that always puzzled me a terrific rider.. I remember him getting a 15 point max in the Mike Keen benefit meeting in horrendous conditions.The Reading trio of Michanek, Lovaas, Curtis, was not bad eh. Steve !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing but Oxford had only the one remaining year in the British League (1975) before being forced to enter the National League when re-develoment was on the agenda and was saved at the last moment. I'm glad that during that last season I was able to enjoy the exploits of Dag for one season before his career stalled when the promotion re-located to Wood Lane.

6 minutes ago, sommelier said:

I never saw  Ole as a ogre,  he had the spat with Hans over Erik and in hindsight that should of never happened.He was a great rider a real class act who for me is certainly in the top 10 riders of all-time.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Why did he not adapt to White City Steve? that always puzzled me a terrific rider.. I remember him getting a 15 point max in the Mike Keen benefit meeting in horrendous conditions.The Reading trio of Michanek, Lovaas, Curtis, was not bad eh. Steve !!!

I think that it was combination of things Sid. The JAP engine wasn't suited to the vast Wood Lane bowl and he was badly affecred when he had a bad crash with Trevor Hedge. However, personally, I feel that after getting his long desired wish to ride at Oxford he felt very disappointed that it only resulted in the one year and his enthusiasm was diminished...just my opinion.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

I never saw  Ole as a ogre,  he had the spat with Hans over Erik and in hindsight that should of never happened.He was a great rider a real class act who for me is certainly in the top 10 riders of all-time.

Vic White (Coventry Team Manager) felt that Olsen was one of the most difficult riders that he had ever dealt with. Often undermining his decisions.

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I think that it was combination of things Sid. The JAP engine wasn't suited to the vast Wood Lane bowl and he was badly affecred when he had a bad crash with Trevor Hedge. However, personally, I feel that after getting his long desired wish to ride at Oxford he felt very disappointed that it only resulted in the one year and his enthusiasm was diminished...just my opinion.

I have spoken to Dag, he said it was the silencer that killed the JAP

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sommelier said:

I have spoken to Dag, he said it was the silencer that killed the JAP

I once presented him with a bottle of bubbly at the last meeting at Cowley. Came across as a shy person.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I once presented him with a bottle of bubbly at the last meeting at Cowley. Came across as a shy person.

I also remember when Dag qualified for the 1974 World Final via the tough European Final round. I remember him falling in one race, and i have the picture of him after the race with blood all over his face.

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

I also remember when Dag qualified for the 1974 World Final via the tough European Final round i remember him falling in one race and i have the picture of him after the race with blood all over his face.

...and, if I recall, beat Olsen in that same meeting thus denying Olsen outright victory much to his annoyance as Dag explained in an interview some years back.

• Like 1