British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

I have just worked out last season's table on the 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. The one change is in mid-table, where Poole beat Belle Vue into third place on the complicated current system (merely on race-points). In contrast, on the easier to understand 2 points for a win method, 1 for a draw, last year Belle Vue would have gained the third spot by a match point over Poole. The table stays the same otherwise, nothing else changes. King's Lynn would have still had a six-point lead at the top of the table. Although positions don't change, the gap in points do. And I thought we wanted closer league tables. For example, Last year Swindon missed out on the play-off places by 9 points on the complicated current system. If the two points for a win method was used, that gap would be just three points.

2018 table 

King's Lynn 33 (2 pts for a win) compared to 53 (complicated way)

Somerset 27 to 47

Poole 25 to 44

Belle Vue 26 to 44

Swindon 22 to 35

Wolverhampton 21 to 34

Leicester 14 to 23 

I think the BSPA is fooling some to believe they're getting value for money.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

And it makes more meetings more interesting for longer. 

Yep, was editing my post just as you made yours!

49 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I know you like disagreeing with people, BWitcher, but how does it offer better value and more meaningful races? The league table stays the same, so fans are being sold an empty bottle of fresh air.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone, this isn't a matter of 'opinion'.

It's factual. 

No they aren't being sold an empty bottle of 'fresh air' at all, quite the opposite. 

The league table is irrelevant.

34 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

I have just worked out last season's table on the 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw. The one change is in mid-table, where Poole beat Belle Vue into third place on the complicated current system (merely on race-points). In contrast, on the easier to understand 2 points for a win method, 1 for a draw, last year Belle Vue would have gained the third spot by a match point over Poole. The table stays the same otherwise, nothing else changes. King's Lynn would have still had a six-point lead at the top of the table. Although positions don't change, the gap in points do. And I thought we wanted closer league tables. For example, Last year Swindon missed out on the play-off places by 9 points on the complicated current system. If the two points for a win method was used, that gap would be just three points.

2018 table 

King's Lynn 33 (2 pts for a win) compared to 53 (complicated way)

Somerset 27 to 47

Poole 25 to 44

Belle Vue 26 to 44

Swindon 22 to 35

Wolverhampton 21 to 34

Leicester 14 to 23 

I think the BSPA is fooling some to believe they're getting value for money.

Again utterly irrelevant.

Just now, moxey63 said:

OK.

If you don't understand something, best not to comment.

Interest is retained in each individual meeting for longer on a more frequent basis. More meaningful races, more last heat deciders. In no way shape or form can that be deemed a 'bad thing'. 

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

If you don't understand something, best not to comment.

Interest is retained in each individual meeting for longer on a more frequent basis. More meaningful races, more last heat deciders. In no way shape or form can that be deemed a 'bad thing'. 

Ok, BWitcher. 

Maybe a scoring system can be invented where all races are meaningful holding people's interest for the whole meeting. 

So maybe something like a point for a 3 3, 2 for a 4  2 and 3 for a 5 1.    Prob rubbish idea but hey ho. 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Ok, BWitcher. 

Leave it, the guy's a bully

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2

I would think changing the points awarded in league matches will cure all of speedways ills! 

Personally I think the sport is now to far gone and such a poor way that its in its final throws and by the mid 2020s will be a thing of the past. 

The only saviour will be a complete and radical overhall this winter but that is something that has never happened so won't this time around. 

Those of you who still go and enjoy it please enjoy it while it lasts

But what is radical ovethaul? 

I've always wondered with all the hours it's been on TV, how it's never found a sponsor that would put even the smallest amount of money in..

Edited by Baldyman

18 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

But what is radical ovethaul? 

Whatever it is I’m pretty sure the current bunch of promoters are incapable of coming up with it. 

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that any recent demises of speedway clubs has been down to the stadium availability rather than if the speedway itself breaks even or fails?