British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

5 hours ago, Baldyman said:

But what is radical ovethaul? 

I've always wondered with all the hours it's been on TV, how it's never found a sponsor that would put even the smallest amount of money in..

It may have been on tv for years but if you were running a business would you want to be associated with it at a national level?

When the big sky money was coming in and our league was beamed into Poland that is the point that the sport should have been completely rebuilt top to bottom and ran as a professional sport.

The operating model from Poland would have been a good starting point. At that time the sport could have afforded to go a different route. 

Sadly those days have long gone. 

6 hours ago, Baldyman said:

But what is radical ovethaul? 

I've always wondered with all the hours it's been on TV, how it's never found a sponsor that would put even the smallest amount of money in..

A toxic brand sadly BM...

You only have to look at many of the TV matches...

Rows and rows of empty seats, standing areas bereft of anyone actually stood there..

Companies want only positive brand association, as their name will resonate in the sub conscious of those watching..

Add also the fact that a company could sponsor a team with a significant sum of money and then find that their support will be rewarded by their number one rider (who will invariably be the chief beneficiary of their patronage), being actively allowed to destroy his own team's chances of winning the league by riding for any other team in the league, and you really have a hard sell to persuade any self respecting nationally known business to come on board..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Am I right in thinking that any recent demises of speedway clubs has been down to the stadium availability rather than if the speedway itself breaks even or fails?

That is true. However if you own a stadium or land that stages a sport that has been in decline for at least 20 years and shows no signs of turning around would you turn down offers for your property? Equally the state the sport is in its hardly high up on council or private landowners radars for new sites. Building a new stadium for the use of a few hundred supporters for 6 months a year doesn't make much sense. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

The only thing that may happen is admission increase 

Take it you mean the price of admission not an increase in number of people admitted ?

1 minute ago, RS50 said:

Take it you mean the price of admission not an increase in number of people admitted ?

Correct 

Ipswich crowds are easily up from last few seasons though

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, mikebv said:

Add also the fact that a company could sponsor a team with a significant sum of money and then find that their support will be rewarded by their number one rider (who will invariably be the chief beneficiary of their patronage), being actively allowed to destroy his own team's chances of winning the league by riding for any other team in the league, and you really have a hard sell to persuade any self respecting nationally known business to come on board..

There used to massive sponsors deals when the same thing happened all the time so not why that's a issue now  when it never used to be ..unless guests are a new thing in speedway of course  . In fact with fixed race nights its even less likely to happen now ..

It's makes you wonder how they got sponsors in the old days ..maybe they never told them  about guest riders :rofl:

6 hours ago, orion said:

There used to massive sponsors deals when the same thing happened all the time so not why that's a issue now  when it never used to be ..unless guests are a new thing in speedway of course  . In fact with fixed race nights its even less likely to happen now ..

It's makes you wonder how they got sponsors in the old days ..maybe they never told them  about guest riders :rofl:

I would have thought any potential sponsors / speedway image links would have concentrated more on speed, power, noise, danger, thrills etc rather than guests, r/r, averages, double points, t/s which, really only speedway anoraks are interested in. I doubt if any potential sponsors of football tournaments are put off by VAR. 

On 9/5/2019 at 12:14 PM, BWitcher said:

Simple question for those who liked the 'bonus pt'.

Why? What made it better?

Bonus point system had good and bad points.  It would give you an extra heat if the aggregate was tied (the legendary Mikael Karlsson-Ryan Sullivan run off at Peterborough springs to mind), but one team thumping the other both home and away rendered it meaningless.

There again, speedway has much bigger issues that wont be solved by changing the scoring system.

On 9/11/2019 at 9:01 PM, mikebv said:

A toxic brand sadly BM...

You only have to look at many of the TV matches...

Rows and rows of empty seats, standing areas bereft of anyone actually stood there..

Companies want only positive brand association, as their name will resonate in the sub conscious of those watching..

You often have sensible suggestions but I’m not with you on this one.

I can’t think of any sport where I’m particularly aware of the crowd or the advertising or where I make any correlation between the two.

If BT have crowd figures, there’s a clear audience for advertisers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

I would have thought any potential sponsors / speedway image links would have concentrated more on speed, power, noise, danger, thrills etc rather than guests, r/r, averages, double points, t/s which, really only speedway anoraks are interested in. I doubt if any potential sponsors of football tournaments are put off by VAR. 

Spot on sponsors being put off by rules is another speedway myth as I said we had guests when speedway had  massive sponsors

53 minutes ago, orion said:

Spot on sponsors being put off by rules is another speedway myth as I said we had guests when speedway had  massive sponsors

But then a guest rider was only allowed to cover for a missing number one / heat leader, but now there are guest riders for seemingly every rider, including the reserves, plus the doubling up and doubling down of riders which makes a total mockery of the team (loyalty) aspect of the game. This has simply become too much to be acceptable anymore.

• Like 3