British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

27 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Why is so difficult to fit in so many meetings?. I just looked at Sheffield archives section for 2006. They had 33 matches at Owlerton that year. 

Do people really want 33 home matches to go to? Most fans pick and choose which meetings they go to these days

29 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Why is so difficult to fit in so many meetings?. I just looked at Sheffield archives section for 2006. They had 33 matches at Owlerton that year. 

fixed race nights no flexibility makes it harder poole and kings lynn riding there last meeting before the playoffs on the last day possible before the cut off

11 hours ago, RS50 said:

Why is so difficult to fit in so many meetings?.  

Getting 14 riders (whereby the vast majority can collectively represent every single team in the top two leagues), together at the same time?

Not to mention their foreign clubs..

Must be a logistical nightmare..

Guests really undermine any credibility the sport has but so many are caused by riders getting injured and needing to be required somewhere else the day or two later..

If clubs just ran once every week then the number of guests would drop significantly as riders would have time to get fit..

Fixture planning must need a degree in logistics..

13 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Well they managed it 13 years ago.

But 13 years ago every rider due to race every meeting didn't have two/three/four/five teams that they rode for..

Many do now...

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

But 13 years ago every rider due to race every meeting didn't have two/three/four/five teams that they rode for..

Many do now...

Fair point, but I believe that one of the reasons riders want to double up is the ever reducing number of fixtures, and therefore income, of riding for 1 club only.

16 hours ago, ray c said:

fixed race nights no flexibility makes it harder poole and kings lynn riding there last meeting before the playoffs on the last day possible before the cut off

It's all about the TV schedule, in fact there are loads of things to take into consideration these days, particularly rider availability given we are so far down the pecking order where we used to be top dog lol

10 hours ago, mikebv said:

Guests really undermine any credibility the sport 

Crowds were massive when we had more guests than we do today ...just another made up  myth 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Next season is 8 team top flight. Eurosport. And they are paying for it. Not Sky type money but more than BT pay. 

On 9/17/2019 at 7:53 PM, Suffolkpunch said:

The rumor i have heard is ten teams to run in Premiership Monday and Thursday

Ten teams in the Championship not Premiership nights

???

Although a larger top league would be good I cannot see many clubs wanting to move up with the way the top league has acted in previous years to those that have moved up, most of which dropped out after one season, too many politics and if shown on tv not enough money is paid to cover those fans that stay at home and watch the meeting on tv.

The cost of the riders is higher and unless the teams are weakened or the costs reduced how many PL clubs can afford to move up?   

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, Ice Cream Man said:

Do people really want 33 home matches to go to? Most fans pick and choose which meetings they go to these days

I am sure I went to them all, as well as a few at Scunthorpe and Buxton. Will have also watched some on television. 

17 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

Although a larger top league would be good I cannot see many clubs wanting to move up with the way the top league has acted in previous years to those that have moved up, most of which dropped out after one season, too many politics and if shown on tv not enough money is paid to cover those fans that stay at home and watch the meeting on tv.

The cost of the riders is higher and unless the teams are weakened or the costs reduced how many PL clubs can afford to move up?   

Moving up can also mean losing the clubs traditional race night. It was financial suicide for the likes of Rye House.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Moving up can also mean losing the clubs traditional race night. It was financial suicide for the likes of Rye House.

As can staying in the same league, ask Sheffield