British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

1 hour ago, ArthurRudge said:

I believe Speedway in this country will die and can't see it still about in 10 yrs to cum

It will eventually end up like grasstrack, with a few amateur and club meetings run occasionally at weekends.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

I believe Speedway in this country will die and can't see it still about in 10 yrs to cum

There is certainly no way, in my book, that it will make it's Centenary ( unless it bends the rules and moves that to 1923 and not 1928 ). We know that the BSPA are capable of that. Perhaps 1923 will be a "guest" year!

Edited by waytogo28
correction
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, Sidney the robin said:

With the season nearly over in November there has to be discussion and changes will it happen though.? I am not hopeful to be honest i hope i am wrong the three thing's i would like to see happen are.      1./ at least 10 teams in the Premiership ( pref 12) 2./ Premiership and Championship teams to have at least one young Brit at reserve.     3/.Riders to have one average only including bonus points  not a rolling average changing only at the last day of every month any thoughts.!!

The supporters have been saying this for years , and ther BSPA have not listened , I can't see this year being any different . name change of the leagues perhaps .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

There is certainly no way, in my book, that it will make it's Centenary ( unless it bends the rules and moves that to 1923 and not 1928 ). We know that the BSPA are capable of that. Perhaps 1923 will be a "guest" year!

Let's hope they don't +5% to it as that will be another 96 years before they get there.. :D

12 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It will eventually end up like grasstrack, with a few amateur and club meetings run occasionally at weekends.

That will be pretty much the end game won't it?

Similar to the US and Aussie where riders go around from event to event...

Mainly made up of UK riders..

The best UK riders will still be riding abroad earning decent coin in well ran leagues, but for the majority it will be a semi pro (at best) standard with, in the main, riders using it as an exciting paid hobby, similar to how so many do in MX and Road Racing..

Unless of course the UK decides to run its leagues like proper sports do and delivers radical changes...

Not a chance of that though as we know..

Has someone told Richard Lawson where he is on Saturday? :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

That will be pretty much the end game won't it?

Similar to the US and Aussie where riders go around from event to event...

Mainly made up of UK riders..

The best UK riders will still be riding abroad earning decent coin in well ran leagues, but for the majority it will be a semi pro (at best) standard with, in the main, riders using it as an exciting paid hobby, similar to how so many do in MX and Road Racing..

Unless of course the UK decides to run its leagues like proper sports do and delivers radical changes...

Not a chance of that though as we know..

Has someone told Richard Lawson where he is on Saturday? :rolleyes:

With the present incumbents running the show, it's hard to see any other outcome. Speedway desperately needs some professional people to help pull it out from the abyss.

• Like 3

The inability of the UK to produce enough riders who can hold their own on the world stage must have a correlation to our current state.

Shipping in riders at vast expense has seen a deterioration in our leagues and hastened its demise. We don't get the crowds that imo justified paying large sums of money to riders of sometimes average standard because they came from Poland or somewhere else and therefore must be good.

We haven’t or didn’t want to encourage youth and were too busy putting on a show that supporters said they must have to justify their attendance.

Whilst I supported Rye House who encouraged youth and lived within their means (until you know who took over) I would read about other teams supporters saying we must have so and so riding because I won’t go otherwise!

We now have a situation where the sport is maintained by the need for the majority of riders to fill 2 team places to enable the leagues to survive. Another reason for the decline of the sport.

It is probably true to say that the sport will continue to contract as stadiums are gobbled up by redevelopment and an ageing attendance. How long it will last is really down to this and the people who put their livelihoods at risk to bring us the entertainment.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

With the present incumbents running the show, it's hard to see any other outcome. Speedway desperately needs some professional people to help pull it out from the abyss.

Gone way beyond that. No-one truly professional would take it on, having looked closely at it as a project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Gone way beyond that. No-one truly professional would take it on, having looked closely at it as a project.

The sport (in the UK), is now no more than a conduit for riders to earn the kind of money that justifies their outlay on kit...

A system devised to provide as many rides as possible for individuals, with scant regards to the impact this has on any credible status of each league or the teams within them..

It won't change now I would suggest, as it cannot given how long this situation has been allowed to fester..

Basically riders riding for whoever, whenever, is an integral part of the business plan, and operating model, which then facilitates their participation in the sport in the UK..

Too many teams? Not enough riders? 

Either way, that scenario isn't going to be fixed anytime soon unless they try six or even five man teams initially to give themselves some head room to deliver a much more fit for purpose longer term plan..

No breath is being held waiting for that to happen I would suspect..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Agreed with both. The calibre of people running the show = Buster Godfrey & Co are tbh useless. They couldn’t run a bath. They have proved to be totally incompetent. And before someone says that’s harsh take a look at the state of our sport. It’s completely knackered. Anyone who is anyone wouldn’t touch Speedway with a 20’ barge pole. More pain to come for fans and clubs that’s for sure.

Edited by Speedtiger
  • Like 2

So it seems as though there will be a 'top' league of x clubs next season. With the likes of Terry Russell wanting to keep Jason Doyle in an 8 team league it begs the question about how many 8+ point riders will be allowed in the team building and to what team points limit?

Swindon, Belle Vue and Kings Lynn may well have some serious decisions to make with their Number 1s.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So it seems as though there will be a 'top' league of x clubs next season. With the likes of Terry Russell wanting to keep Jason Doyle in an 8 team league it begs the question about how many 8+ point riders will be allowed in the team building and to what team points limit?

Swindon, Belle Vue and Kings Lynn may well have some serious decisions to make with their Number 1s.

the 8point rule was scrapped last season 

23 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would Belle Vue and Kings Lynn have to make a "serious decision" over their Number 1s.

Kings Lynn have no rider over 8 points and Belle Vue just the 1.

So you are sh*t stirring as usual and failing miserably.

4 minutes ago, double_O said:

Why would Belle Vue and Kings Lynn have to make a "serious decision" over their Number 1s.

Kings Lynn have no rider over 8 points and Belle Vue just the 1.

So you are sh*t stirring as usual and failing miserably.

there is no 8 point rule now !!

10 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

there is no 8 point rule now !!

18.6 TEAM COMPOSITION

18.6.1 A SGB Premiership Team’s initial Declaration must not exceed 42.50 and may include ONLY one rider with an MA of 8.00 or above.

As usual you are wrong!!!!!!

The 1 rider over 8 point rule is in the 2019 regulations

• Like 1