British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

4 hours ago, acef said:

So they have less fixtures?

7 home league matches in Poland, 8 in Sweden. 

That's the other side of the Polish "dream" that gets ignored. 

Judging by the big crowd at Ipswich last night, British speedway needs to reclaim Saturday nights, the GP organisers can have Mondays lol

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Trees said:

Judging by the big crowd at Ipswich last night, British speedway needs to reclaim Saturday nights, the GP organisers can have Mondays lol

Let's be honest this time of year once Poland has finished no reason why the play offs can't be run on a Saturday. Ipswich always get good gates on a Saturday and tend to run the big end of season fixtures on a Saturday if they qualify. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Let's be honest this time of year once Poland has finished no reason why the play offs can't be run on a Saturday. Ipswich always get good gates on a Saturday and tend to run the big end of season fixtures on a Saturday if they qualify. 

Unless of course the respective stadia are used for something else on Saturdays?! (and Sundays for that matter.)

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, Lefty said:

I would like:-

1) a home meeting every week.

2) away team to visit once only per season.

3) no double-up riders.

4) less gardening at the gate!

5) a heat structure that ensures heat leaders achieve a higher average.

6) riders to adapt machinery to weather conditions AND RIDE.

7) in the event of r/r a #8 to be named and given at least one ride.

8) yellow/black helmet colour to return.

9) first race to start prompt at advertised start time.

10) a points system that allows a League Table to be understood.

decent ideas apart from No6, riders safety must always come first, plus who wants to watch 3 riders unable to race purely because they can't see clearly.

3) no double-up riders.

11.) The smell :rolleyes:

I think another key issue for the AGM is Fixture Planning - in light of 2020 being the Olympics and Euro footie tournaments (and there are bound to be others too.)

With attendances apparently precarious everywhere (?) Promoters will think twice before going up against any major TV Sport - assuming they realise of course?!

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I think another key issue for the AGM is Fixture Planning - in light of 2020 being the Olympics and Euro footie tournaments (and there are bound to be others too.)

With attendances apparently precarious everywhere (?) Promoters will think twice before going up against any major TV Sport - assuming they realise of course?!

Whilst I agree with you, those tournaments are held in what are the traditionally drier months. ( Wishful thinking perhaps.) Also, many have complained that interest wains at many clubs when there are big gaps in fixtures.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:21 PM, mikebv said:

Just read this and checked the timeline when it appeared..

It said 22 hours ago..

It really could have said 22 years ago and many would stil have nodded in agreement.... :unsure: 

How about starting with whoever becomes Champions gets their average used as the limit next year? 

An aspirational level to be attained by the rest..

And meaning the Champs don't have to release riders if they don't want to...

And hopefully meaning their crowds, who have built an association with the riders who have brought success, can keep that so important emotional attachment that team followers desperately need..?

So if Ipswich win this year every team  bar P/borough have to aspire to drop there team limit to 41.43 for next season ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, B.V 72 said:

So if Ipswich win this year every team  bar P/borough have to aspire to drop there team limit to 41.43 for next season ?.

No, if that happens you could still decide it's 42.5 for the League so Ippo could decide to keep their seven or use the extra points available...

If though another team over 42.5 wins the league they should be allowed to keep their seven too if they so wish, and that figure becomes the maximum figure..

It's ridiculous that fans become attached to riders who win leagues (especially younger fans who you want to engage more than ever) only for them to be often left out the year after...

That simply doesn't equate to a sensible business model...

You also have the nonsense of TV mentioning that a meeting involves "last year's Champions" when maybe only four of them are actually in attendance... 

British Speedway desperately needs some aspirational attainments, and dumbing down the leagues means no team has to aspire to "beat the best" because "the best" invariably gets diluted...

• Like 3

On 9/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, robins les said:

Whilst I agree with you, those tournaments are held in what are the traditionally drier months. ( Wishful thinking perhaps.) Also, many have complained that interest wains at many clubs when there are big gaps in fixtures.

both major tournaments last for a number of weeks through out the summer so really no chance of working around them I don't think 

On 9/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, Skidder1 said:

What other sports or events are staged at Polish tracks? A couple seem to have football pitches while Wroclaw has an American Football pitch. I think most are single-purpose speedway stadia. 

36 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

What other sports or events are staged at Polish tracks? A couple seem to have football pitches while Wroclaw has an American Football pitch. I think most are single-purpose speedway stadia. 

Really not sure what this has to do with the topic?

3) no double-up riders.

If points 1 and 2 are to be met- how many teams in the league  25 !!!

5 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

If points 1 and 2 are to be met- how many teams in the league  25 !!!

Why not. Not far off British League in the sixties! 

Variety is the spice of life :t:

Edited by Lefty
Spelling