British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

Cricket, rugby off the top of my head. I think it’s particularly apt in speedway where home advantage can be so strong. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

What? As I don't follow all sports. 

As Bagpuss says, Cricket and Rugby Union for sure. 

They're mickey mouse joke sports though I suppose!

In fact, I was in a bar in the Algarve a couple of weeks ago and an Englishman was watching some Rugby and boy did the locals laugh when he told them about the losers getting a pt in Rugby. 

• Haha 1

To me the scoring system is bang on. Even if a team is 10 points up after heat 14 there is something to race for in 15. And it's easy to understand!!! All the newbies I took this season got it straight away.

• Like 2

After 56 years of going to Speedway, I have given up on British Speedway.

i have averaged 55 meetings a year during that time.

i will continue to go to Belle Vue as the quality of racing and the stadium itself is outstanding

Never watched cricket, 

I play in a pool and darts league and points are earnt by how many legs or frames your team gets, to me that would work for speedway, you get what you score. And that's home and away. 

Edited by Baldyman

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Simple question for those who liked the 'bonus pt'.

Why? What made it better?

Thats how works in sweden it can keep a meeting interesting to the end

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Never watched cricket, 

I play in a pool and darts league and points are earnt by how many legs or frames your team gets, to me that would work for speedway, you get what you score. And that's home and away. 

So the losers are getting pts.... you've just defeated your own argument!

3 minutes ago, ray c said:

Thats how works in sweden it can keep a meeting interesting to the end

I thought that would be the answer.

It was replaced by a system that kept many more meetings interesting to the end. 

Although it has been tweeked and ruined a part of that aspect, it still keeps far more interesting (from a scoring perspective) that the old 'bonus pt' system did.

Edited by BWitcher

Just now, BWitcher said:

So the losers are getting pts.... you've just defeated your own argument!

But we get whatever we get, we don't get extra for only just loosing, or more for drawing away,. 

I like that that way of scoring, and I think it would work for speedway, you might not but I do, as I don't like your way, the current way, still sucks a fat one to me. 

11 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Never watched cricket, 

You would be penalised for a meeting result being called early due to curfew / weather

Just now, Call me wolfie said:

You would be penalised for a meeting result being called early due to curfew / weather

That's very true, hadn't thought of that, okay my way wouldn't work in speedway. 

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

But we get whatever we get, we don't get extra for only just loosing, or more for drawing away,. 

I like that that way of scoring, and I think it would work for speedway, you might not but I do, as I don't like your way, the current way, still sucks a fat one to me. 

You asked what other sports give points to losers, in a mocking way towards the sport of speedway.

Then five minutes later quote two sports you play in that do just that.

Even by BSF standards that's an impressive.

Your system, as the old bonus pts system did, would simply reward those with the biggest home track advantage.

It's not a bad idea as it would make every race important for sure, but the difference in tracks would play an even bigger role.

Edited by BWitcher