Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Big decisions in November.

30 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

As Bagpuss says, Cricket and Rugby Union for sure. 

They're mickey mouse joke sports though I suppose!

In fact, I was in a bar in the Algarve a couple of weeks ago and an Englishman was watching some Rugby and boy did the locals laugh when he told them about the losers getting a pt in Rugby. 

And in European Football, including the biggest club tournament in the world, you can draw and at the same time win for scoring more goals at your opponents place than your opponent did at your place.. !!

One of the things UK Speedway has definitely got right is the scoring.

Maybe we should give Duckworth, Lewis and Stern a call? :D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

After 56 years of going to Speedway, I have given up on British Speedway.

i have averaged 55 meetings a year during that time.

i will continue to go to Belle Vue as the quality of racing and the stadium itself is outstanding

You are a lucky sod to go there everyweek Gunner ,  Belle Vue in a way cover over the cracks of the general state of  british speedway.Saying that my club have addressed there problems and i have enjoyed my speedway more this year than i have  done in the last ten.

43 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Yes there are other sports where the 'loser' gets pts.

Not more points for drawing though, that's what's ridiculous... please try to understand, you miss the detail in your eagerness for an argument

Not so sure having a big home advantage is so bad, as teams that normally have a big home advantage are not so good on their travels. 

We changed our pool tables cloth to one that isn't that well liked to gain a home advantage as we aim to win all matches by the biggest margin possible.  Strangely though, winning by big margins isn't seen as a good thing in speedway. 

4 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Not so sure having a big home advantage is so bad, as teams that normally have a big home advantage are not so good on their travels. 

We changed our pool tables cloth to one that isn't that well liked to gain a home advantage as we aim to win all matches by the biggest margin possible.  Strangely though, winning by big margins isn't seen as a good thing in speedway. 

I do sometimes think some of us forget that the entertainment factor should be  the most important thing in speedway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not more points for drawing though, that's what's ridiculous... please try to understand, you miss the detail in your eagerness for an argument

There's nothing to understand.

There is absolutely nothing ridiculous. Only in the mind of someone who can't remember whether it's +6 or 6. After years.

As has already been explained to you elsewhere, they get an extra pt as they have got within 6 effectively.

You don't hear football fans saying what a joke and how ridiculous the away goals rule is.

Penalty shoot outs to decide a game could be deemed as 'ridiculous' if one wanted too.

Indeed, in the biggest sports tournament in the World, the World Cup, there are situations where teams progressing would be done by drawing lots. 

All sports have their vagaries, just speedway fans have this inane desire to make out theirs are 'mickey mouse' and 'ridiculous'.

Speedway's BIGGEST problem? It's moaning fanbase.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

There's nothing to understand.

There is absolutely nothing ridiculous. Only in the mind of someone who can't remember whether it's +6 or 6. After years.

As has already been explained to you elsewhere, they get an extra pt as they have got within 6 effectively.

So again... In which sport other than Speedway do the away team get more league points for a draw than the home team?

... Apology accepted

Why not award whatever the score is as victory points? 

Eg Ipswich 46 Swindon 44. 

Ipswich get 46 points and a bonus of 10 for winning. Swindon would get 44. If it's a draw both clubs get 5 points. So 50 points each. 

I'd also like to see a change in the heat points scoring to what is used in cycle speedway. 4 3 2 1

Heats would then be 7-2 6-3 5-5. However if a rider fails to finish e.g. from an exclusion or retiring he scores 0.

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

So again... In which sport other than Speedway do the away team get more league points for a draw than the home team?

... Apology accepted

There is no apology. 

Your question is irrelevant as every sport is different.

Although if you wanted to go down that route, in which other sport is home advantage such a big factor?

Edited by BWitcher

4 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

There is no apology. 

Your question is irrelevant as every sport is different.

Although if you wanted to go down that route, in which other sport is home advantage such a big factor?

I'll take that as an apology, thanks

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'll take that as an apology, thanks

You'll take "there is no apology" as an apology?

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

... Apology accepted

Rugby Union and Cricket..

In Rugby the away team can score more tries and gain bonus points over and above their point for the draw..

In Cricket the away team can score the same as their opponents but take more wickets so get bowling bonus points over and above the points for the draw..

And Duckworth - Lewis - Stern can award a win for a draw, (and even if scoring less than the other team)..!

Edited by mikebv

Just now, Grachan said:

You'll take "there is no apology" as an apology?

No... I'll take the bit where he/she's going off at a tangent about every sport being different and the home advantage thing as him/her wanting to change the subject because he/she couldn't read the detail of my original point... as an apology :D

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Rugby Union and Cricket..

In Rugby the away team can score more tries and gain bonus points over and above their point for the draw..

In Cricket the away team can score the same as their opponents but take more wickets so get bowling bonus points over and above the points for the draw..

And Duckworth - Lewis - Stern can award a win for a draw, and even if scoring less than the other team..!

That's bonus points