British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattJ81

Cradley vs Kent 9th Sep - Off, Re-arranged for 16th Sep double header with BV Cup match

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

With respect if Belle Vue Colts have a supporter base in the thousands i would be staggered if they have bigger gates than Kent over the season. The locality may suit itself to travelling supporters from the north but 2nd fixture of a double header isn't often a great draw and generally ive seen more travelling Kent fans about than any other club in the NDL.

I suspect there might be a couple of clubs that will gladly step down to fill the gaps, the costs of running speedway at present are alarming but no NDL will officially be the end of the sport. 

If buster gets his 10 Team Top League with rumoured Leicester / Somerset / Sheffield it poses huge questions.

Do Berwick / Birmingham / Eastbourne / Edinburgh / Newcastle / Redcar / Scunthorpe - dumb down in to a composite CL/NDL or do IOW / Kent / Mildenhall / Plymouth crank up in to a higher NDL/CL composite . That could be a great 11 Team League on paper but in reality how many would remain - I fear it could be no more than 6 or 7.

Terrifying thoughts for many Clubs who have to decide to effective move down or up against their wishes and economic logic either way.

48 minutes ago, HGould said:

If buster gets his 10 Team Top League with rumoured Leicester / Somerset / Sheffield it poses huge questions.

Do Berwick / Birmingham / Eastbourne / Edinburgh / Newcastle / Redcar / Scunthorpe - dumb down in to a composite CL/NDL or do IOW / Kent / Mildenhall / Plymouth crank up in to a higher NDL/CL composite . That could be a great 11 Team League on paper but in reality how many would remain - I fear it could be no more than 6 or 7.

Terrifying thoughts for many Clubs who have to decide to effective move down or up against their wishes and economic logic either way.

My big fear is that if Buster gets his desired top league how sustainable will it be long term? Clubs should be required to show a break even/profit before stepping into leagues with higher costs. 

Kent often post a profit at NDL level but would they in a higher division? Plymouth have been on a rallying call recently for spectators so increased out goings may be too much for several. Likewise those potentially dropping down who have stated that the losses are large at Championship level but how would crowd numbers hold up to NL racing (some tracks already post figures lower than several NL tracks). 

What needs to be considered in the long term sustainability of all clubs not just those that Buster is involved with otherwise he will find that there will be no league for his precious Kings Lynn to compete in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Glasgow? Where would Peterborough go with their stadium issues?

27 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Glasgow? Where would Peterborough go with their stadium issues?

I had assumed Glasgow might replace Peterboriugh but forgot to include in CL as a result.

Not sure if any CL clubs other than the 3 rumoured and Glasgow would want to move up but would at least be right and proper if they were asked!

15 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

With respect if Belle Vue Colts have a supporter base in the thousands i would be staggered if they have bigger gates than Kent over the season. The locality may suit itself to travelling supporters from the north but 2nd fixture of a double header isn't often a great draw and generally ive seen more travelling Kent fans about than any other club in the NDL.

I suspect there might be a couple of clubs that will gladly step down to fill the gaps, the costs of running speedway at present are alarming but no NDL will officially be the end of the sport. 

Sings. If you had realised HGould is an Eastbourne supporter you would have ignored this post like i did.

In general cubs/colts teams have virtually zero travelling support. From my frequent attendance at various NL tracks I would certainly place Kent as providing the largest (and friendliest) visiting contingent of away fans. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Surely buster should see past his top league? And try to help other teams working together to make every team a success or at least a break even rather than just buying the teams that are up for sale. The days have gone where gp riders want to ride here. Why not merge both leagues and then run a NDL alongside it for the teams that can’t afford it. Lower the rider wages and lower the fee entry to come in and watch speedway 

• Thanks 1

Jason pipe did say at the NL pairs other then Sheffield being hosts, kent had the biggest contingent there, despite arguably the longest journey.

Looking ahead could be a tense week for Warriors,Heathens and Fen Tiger fans all vying for that 4th spot.

Deserves more coverage then it's getting to be honest. These end of season showdowns have the potential to have inflated crowd sizes if the significance was a bit more pushed inside the sports media, and also the local press.

3 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Looking ahead could be a tense week for Warriors,Heathens and Fen Tiger fans all vying for that 4th spot.

Deserves more coverage then it's getting to be honest. These end of season showdowns have the potential to have inflated crowd sizes if the significance was a bit more pushed inside the sports media, and also the local press.

Does the NL get any meaningful press in the sports media. It really is the poor relation of British speedway.

16 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Does the NL get any meaningful press in the sports media. It really is the poor relation of British speedway.

Which is Crazy! Look at the top british riders in speedway gb squad at the moment they all came from a nl team! 

Woffinden scunthorpe 

bewley belle vue 

lambert kings lynn 

cook Buxton 

Ellis IOW 

• Like 2

CRADLEY: Max Clegg, Luke Harris, Tom Spencer R/R, Connor Coles, Jack Smith, Harry McGurk, James Chattin.

KENT: Drew Kemp, Rob Ledwith, Jordan Jenkins, Dan Gilkes, Anders Rowe, Sam Woolley, Alex Spooner.

So Cradley saying Tom Spencer is injured so they can use a guest for Danny Halsey seems very coinvent as Tom Spenser rode at Perry Barr last Wednesday in a M S D L official match  & scored 4 points 

Seems a bit fishy to me.

19 hours ago, Old Crusader said:

Anyway getting back to the meeting I reckon with almost a full strength team apart from no Jake, Kent could pick up some points on Monday.

I would be gutted is Kent didnt return with all the points as i would love to see IOW in the play offs. Ledwith returning is obviously a risk but he has taken his tie to ensure he is right, Spooner at reserve will be a trump card providing he stays out of trouble as Sam Woolley seems unlikely to trouble the score card too heavily. For the host Clegg present is an obvious boost & Coles is more consistent than the enigma Halsey this year. Is Spencer out with concussion again? He rode at Plymouth recently so guessed that the suspension was up? Either way the visitors should have enough to take the away points and keep the Warriors fans happy. 

Edited by Sings4Speedway