British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MattJ81

Cradley vs Kent 9th Sep - Off, Re-arranged for 16th Sep double header with BV Cup match

15 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

If the NL does become a type of MDL training League will people be prepared to pay £10, £12+ to watch riders learning to ride, I very much doubt it. The NL will suffer due to the incompetance of the BSPA, There should have been a break away from the BSPA years ago but Clubs/Teams were not prepared to grasp the nettle, the breakaway by the Provincial Leage from the National League in the early sixties forced the Perceived stronger National League to be realistic, then we had the amalgamation of the two Leagues which gave us a period of strong/good League racing for a number of years.

Two of the worst things we have at the moment is doubling up/down, and Teams constantly changing riders, there is no bond being created between riders and fans its just watching seven riders wearing your teams colours for that particular meeting or that month, Team changes should be limited to 2 per season unless a rider is unavailable due to long term injury, or another possible suggestion could be that teams have a squad of 10 riders to pick there Team from with any 7 riders totaling a combined average of a certain number of points.

Whilst i get what you are saying in reality the MDL style leagues should not contain riders that are learning to ride (although sadly in places it does) it should be riders who are bike competent and are honing their racing skills and techniques in preparation for the step up to the next level. The competent riders along with lower level NL riders would produce good racing as all you need for good entertainment is a raceable surface and competition that is of similar abilities.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst i get what you are saying in reality the MDL style leagues should not contain riders that are learning to ride (although sadly in places it does) it should be riders who are bike competent and are honing their racing skills and techniques in preparation for the step up to the next level. The competent riders along with lower level NL riders would produce good racing as all you need for good entertainment is a raceable surface and competition that is of similar abilities.

So you’re talking about a team of reserves from the MDL, where second strings would be the likes of Butcher, Kelly, Bursill & King etc with third heat leaders like Halder, Spooner & Spencer and number 1 & 5s like either Thompson, Verge, Brooks, Marson & Extance. I just think that’s far too weak. I can’t see anyone paying £12+ to watch that. Also you’re pushing out riders like Palin, Gilkes, Atkins, Rowe & Ruddick etc who are young and need the NL to fall back on even if they pick up a Championship spot. Atkins has openly said he wants to do the NL next year. 

9 hours ago, Islander15 said:

So you’re talking about a team of reserves from the MDL, where second strings would be the likes of Butcher, Kelly, Bursill & King etc with third heat leaders like Halder, Spooner & Spencer and number 1 & 5s like either Thompson, Verge, Brooks, Marson & Extance. I just think that’s far too weak. I can’t see anyone paying £12+ to watch that. Also you’re pushing out riders like Palin, Gilkes, Atkins, Rowe & Ruddick etc who are young and need the NL to fall back on even if they pick up a Championship spot. Atkins has openly said he wants to do the NL next year. 

With great respect that is largely what we had this season and what is likely next year. The only reason this year looks a little stronger is the batch of youth riders progressing up in one go but the amounts cannot be sustained every year. The likes of King & Butcher will need to be 2nd strings next year if they want a place and quite frankly if just natural progression. Likewise the top riders will be pushed up into the CL (providing their is one) as that was the 'vision' when the averages were reduced. If you look at the green sheets the most sides have a top two on 8+ of very close if all of these moved up (top 3 from Belle Vue & Clegg from Cradley) then introduced two x 2.00 as reserves that is likely what will be served up next season. There are riders that will obviously fall by the wayside a usual but thats just how the sport moves on.

Think it's pretty clear we will be a 2 tier sport next year. How that pans out i dont know, but I imagine something like below. I have been told a few times by people high up in the sport that the top flight has to be a ten 10 league for a least 2 broadcasters that may take on the rights.

10 in top flight

14-16 in second

And mdl below that

Basically if we push all riders on a 6 point NL average up a league, it would eradicate doubling up and throw out the nonsense that gets rolled out about rider shortages. Water down the 2nd tier so it's not so close to the top flight and therefore hopefully reduce costs.

19 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Think it's pretty clear we will be a 2 tier sport next year. How that pans out i dont know, but I imagine something like below. I have been told a few times by people high up in the sport that the top flight has to be a ten 10 league for a least 2 broadcasters that may take on the rights.

10 in top flight

14-16 in second

And mdl below that

Basically if we push all riders on a 6 point NL average up a league, it would eradicate doubling up and throw out the nonsense that gets rolled out about rider shortages. Water down the 2nd tier so it's not so close to the top flight and therefore hopefully reduce costs.

Cost reductions yes but is there any sustainability of rider production in a model like that? If the MDL is to remain in it current format you would lose the vast majority of sub 6 point riders from the sport along with anyone competing now as the current target is NL 2.00 position not championship reserve at 6.00 level. How would anyone be able to get near that level or be measured without sensible levels of competition and track time. I feel if there is no NL next season there will be no point having an MDL either any many will just walk away from the sport. Propping up the top leagues by sacrificing the grassroots of any sport just doesn't work.

• Like 3

Cost reductions by diluting the product on offer just doesnt work how many years have the BSPA been doing that for ?. There has to be realistic cost reductions beginning with machinery, tuning etc etc, a small step could be a bog standard Bike with NO tweaks to it, but thats where everything falls down with most riders trying there best to get even the smallest extra bit of power from there machinery.. and so it goes on, fewer and fewer spectators being asked to pay more for an inferior product, on Tracks that were built for less speed than what is acheved nowadays, whats the issue with being 5 seconds slower but with better racing ?, oh i get it, every rider wants to be a GP star ;). Then there is the issue of newish sign written vans, I understand the days of having a bike on a rack at the back of the car have long since gone, but jeez surely the object is to get from A to B with whatever mode of transport is available how much does a half decent trailer cost ?.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, greyhoundp said:

Cost reductions by diluting the product on offer just doesnt work how many years have the BSPA been doing that for ?. There has to be realistic cost reductions beginning with machinery, tuning etc etc, a small step could be a bog standard Bike with NO tweaks to it, but thats where everything falls down with most riders trying there best to get even the smallest extra bit of power from there machinery.. and so it goes on, fewer and fewer spectators being asked to pay more for an inferior product, on Tracks that were built for less speed than what is acheved nowadays, whats the issue with being 5 seconds slower but with better racing ?, oh i get it, every rider wants to be a GP star ;). Then there is the issue of newish sign written vans, I understand the days of having a bike on a rack at the back of the car have long since gone, but jeez surely the object is to get from A to B with whatever mode of transport is available how much does a half decent trailer cost ?.

The thing with having sign written vans is that even amateur riders do manage to get sponsorship so a mobile advert is a plus for even the smallest of sponsor.Also there’s the thing about bike security,and secure storage for a trailer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greyhoundp said:

Personally i think that cost reductions can and should be driven by the promotions. These guys are driving themselves out of business by paying riders over the top money. If they all stuck to their guns and paid reasonable figures riders would need to look at how to either generate more income via actively seeking their own sponsorship and/or reduce the amounts spent on bike parts and focus on maintenance rather than replace every part that becomes slightly scuffed.

However vans are just part of modern culture, the number of cars on lease or PCP is rising and the average age of vehicles on the road is shrinking. Add in the vast distances covered by even the lowest level riders and the need to arrive safely, reliably both at the track and back home into the early hours then money spent on a van is the best money spent for any speedway rider.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

2 tier  speedway next season poses a  huge problem for Kent ( a MONDAY only track in the NL) as thats a PL only reserved night?

Any thoughts teaboy 279?

We actually have permission tobring Monday- friday 1 night per week. Although the 6.30 start stands on all nights. I believe There was a admenment added for a 7pm start 9pm curfew to run in the TOP flight only on fridays. Further restrictions of availability are the dog meetings but ad Roger owns both sports in the stadium I would imagine that, that is not an insurmountable problem.

To clarify my earlier post under the 2 main leagues I see an mdl standard of league but probably run to current NL format or even a 13 heat format. And ran solely on weekends.