British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mimmo

Peterborough Showground

There are rumours on Facebook, that the Peterborough Showground is to close down altogether.  Has anybody else heard anything about this?   

This is totally at odds with what Peterborough bosses have told the fans. Any development  is said to be long term and no changes that will effect speedway expected for 2/3 years. Development plan  the council have said will not be looked on favorably  unless it involves safeguarding   the future of the various existing  sporting activities

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

This is totally at odds with what Peterborough bosses have told the fans. Any development  is said to be long term and no changes that will effect speedway expected for 2/3 years. Development plan  the council have said will not be looked on favorably  unless it involves safeguarding   the future of the various existing  sporting activities

I hate to be the harbinger of doom, but as a Bees fan, your words are eerily familiar.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This has also been mentioned on the Peterborough Panthers 2019 thread in the other section.

There is an exhibition on the 19th September at the Showground which aparantly will show the "vision" of the redevelopment.

This has always been on the cards and you can see by the houses that have been built so far, is likely a long way off.

From what I understand this is just an example of what could be done, and would need to be backed up by a much more detailed plan (likely next year). This plan would then need to satisfy the council with safeguarding future use of the showground for events and other activities and (i forget the actual wording) but basically keeping it pretty. Normal stuff that you hear everywhere else.

My guess, and this is purely my oppinion backed by nothing else - is that the Speedway will continue for another 2/3 years whilst a plan is put in place for the houses (~600 is the number floating around). I cannot see anyone relocating the Speedway track, the cost involved in this coupled with the dwindling numbers going each week is likely render it a non starter.

Of course I do not know, I am only speculating based on what is out there at the moment. I suggest anyone interested should get down to the showground on the 19th to see what this "vision" is about and put their voice to good use in regards to the speedway.

The reality is that nothing is likely to change significantly over the next 2/3 years and any new housing is likely 10+ years away, by which time the Speedway will either be in a wealthier position with a strong fan based and able to command a new stadium or relocation, or it will be dead in the water and thus render it all completely irrelevant anyway.

For those interested - here is the Peterborough Telegraph article about the exhibition and offers some interesting notes:

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/plans-to-redevelop-peterborough-s-showground-to-go-on-public-display-1-9062880

“The Showground will remain fully operational until at least the end of 2022, with all facilities open for business until that point.

“From 2023 onwards it is likely there will be a phased withdrawal of facilities at the Showground over a number of years starting from the edges of the Showground.

So 2/3 years for the speedway seems about right to me...

Edited by Method
More Information
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mimmo said:

There are rumours on Facebook, that the Peterborough Showground is to close down altogether.  Has anybody else heard anything about this?   

I have not seen any rumours on the Facebook groups I visit in regard to the point you raise re Peterborough Showground Mimmo. However on several FB groups I have seen the matter raised and debated in a sensible manner.

In the short term, finding someone to subsidise the running of the sport in Peterborough could be more pressing than the future of the Showground. 

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

In the short term, finding someone to subsidise the running of the sport in Peterborough could be more pressing than the future of the Showground. 

Although some now claim to the contrary  Messrs Rathbone and Watson  were adamant that they ran without incurring any debt

27 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Although some now claim to the contrary  Messrs Rathbone and Watson  were adamant that they ran without incurring any debt

The crowds seemed decent on sunday afternoons last year.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Never been anything different:

2013 "Frost added: “There are losses at Peterborough every year but myself and Julie are very fortunate in that our companies make a lot of money."

2014 Horton said: “This club needs another Rick Frost and Julie Mahoney, people with the finances to make it work.”

2018 Ged Rathbone insists selling Panthers was the only way he could complete a five-year plan for the city club - “From the first day I took over the club at the end of 2014, my intention has always been to take Peterborough back to the highest level,” said Rathbone. “We had a five-year plan to do that and we have managed to achieve it going into the fifth year. “It was very obvious I couldn’t afford to make the plan come to fruition, but Mr Chapman’s purchase means it can now happen.

Isn't there a dog track in Peterborough? Has the sport ever run there? If not, why not?

there is , no  and don't know

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Isn't there a dog track in Peterborough? Has the sport ever run there? If not, why not?

Allied Presentations finished up at the Showground after planning consent was refused at the Greyhound Stadium following noise tests and local objections (no silencers in those days).

They are ok for now then. Getting crowds like last night will not help. Way i am feeling, i am relieved for the Panthers now. What happens in 3 years is worrying. But i fear more for Clubs being packed up this winter.