British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

On 9/14/2019 at 12:11 AM, TheReturn said:

End of?  Right up there with people who end a discussion with 'fact'!

5th place in 2018 doesn't mean anything. Tai was 1st place last season and currently languishing in 14th and he only missed a couple of rounds.

Let's be honest, he was never in contention in 2018. A wildcard would be a commercial rather than sporting decision I suspect.

As I think they all are.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

As I think they all are.

Ok, well let's hear of your 15 better riders than, given that ALL the GP riders are chosen on commercial grounds.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:16 AM, iand said:

Tai 19pts off 8th place and as you say has only missed 2 rounds this year. Only averaging 8 a round so form wise has had a poor season, not top 8 standard but will surely get a wild card next year.

So if Tai had 16 more points for the two rounds he's missed, he'd be 3 off 8th place. One race win.

4 minutes ago, Ghostwalker said:

I'd pick Woffinden, Doyle, Michelsen and Lambert.

Wouldn't pick the latter two.

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

So if Tai had 16 more points for the two rounds he's missed, he'd be 3 off 8th place. One race win.

I believe Tai has only managed 1 heat win all season..still believe he is not top 8 standard this year 

2 minutes ago, iand said:

I believe Tai has only managed 1 heat win all season..still believe he is not top 8 standard this year 

He’s top 15 though.

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Ok, well let's hear of your 15 better riders than, given that ALL the GP riders are chosen on commercial grounds.

Huh? Who said that - not me. Instead of jumping into confrontation, maybe consider the topic was wildcards, not the whole field. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Huh? Who said that - not me. Instead of jumping into confrontation, maybe consider the topic was wildcards, not the whole field. 

I apologise. I misread the meaning of your post, I believed you were referring to all 15. Hands up. Sorry.

12 hours ago, falcace said:

I apologise. I misread the meaning of your post, I believed you were referring to all 15. Hands up. Sorry.

No problem, thanks for reply. 

Woffy certainly isn’t top 8 material this season despite missing a few rounds but is certainly top 15. 

has to get a wild card.

7 hours ago, Pinny said:

Woffy certainly isn’t top 8 material this season despite missing a few rounds but is certainly top 15. 

has to get a wild card.

Missed 2 GP's and made a comeback from a broken back in a GP.   He has been very good.  I hope he can win tonight. 

19 hours ago, Mark said:

Missed 2 GP's and made a comeback from a broken back in a GP.   He has been very good.  I hope he can win tonight. 

I am not sure I would agree with that, and I am a Tai fan.   I thought since his injury he's been an average rider, but not good (and I say that as a Tai fan). As others have said, Tai right now is not top 8 on points or form, but certainly top 15 material so no question of a wildcard place.  I do believe he's done enough to earn a wildcard if you take his injury into account and most likely by his own admission coming back at least one GP too soon.

But this proves my point with regards Hancock, if Tai is struggling like this after 2 GPs out, I don't think they could justify giving Hancock a wildcard. I suspect, partly why he was in Cardiff as a PR push for a wildcard place.

As he's current world champ I'd say Tai is deserving of a wild card pick when you take into account his injury. Personally I wouldn't give Hancock one I think it's time to move on the series needs some new blood , I don't think Robert Lambert has done enough to justify a pick , Fricke however my have caught the eyes of those who decide who gets the nod for next year 

36 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

As he's current world champ I'd say Tai is deserving of a wild card pick when you take into account his injury. Personally I wouldn't give Hancock one I think it's time to move on the series needs some new blood , I don't think Robert Lambert has done enough to justify a pick , Fricke however my have caught the eyes of those who decide who gets the nod for next year 

Max Fricke is surely already in having finished 3rd in the GP Challenge meeting.

• Like 1