British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

14 hours ago, Crumpet77 said:

Not good enough, gone backwards this year.

Results wise, but he's always been on the pace. But one problem was the amount of racing he's had to do because of his unexpected SGP call up.  If we are gifting wildcards then why not Lambert instead of Hancock, he's the future. 

7 minutes ago, Crumpet77 said:

I'm no Hancock fan, but the guy has done nothing wrong to be overlooked. Just my opinion.

I agree, but he's not ridden for an entire year.  He may well be good enough, but we simply don't know and because he did not ride for a non speedway injury, he should not be given a wildcard. The reason he did not ride is sad, but this is meant to be the best speedway riders right now, and we simply do not know if Hancock is that.  As I have said multiple times on here, look at how much Woffy struggled after just 2 GPs out injured.

God forbid this happens, but let's say Hancock gets injured early season and can not ride for the rest of the season, and/or comes back to league racing but is average at best, but says he wants to ride in 2021. Do we then gift him another wildcard then simply because he's an ex world champion?    

Edited by TheReturn
  • Thanks 1

I still think a much fairer and sporting way of doing this (if we have to have wildcard picks) is the wildcard picks (extended to those who failed to make top 8 and other wildcards)  have to race off at the start of 2020... let them earn their place. 

38 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

After a year out?    Gifting a wildcard now (for non speedway injury) would be a 'mockery' of the sport.

If we are going to gift wildcards to ex world champions, why not Nicki?  Yes I know that is ridiculous, but so is your argument. 

Pedersen finished outside of the top 8. 

Hancock did not. 

Age is utterly irrelevent. If he is still in the top 8 at age 80 and wants to carry on, he does so.

If he rides next year, falls outside the top 8, then you don't give him a wildcard the following year. Simple as that.

If you think taking the time out to look after your sick wife is a 'mockery', then so be it. It doesn't matter whether he's 25, 35,45 or 50. He should only be applauded for that.

There is one reason and one reason alone you don't want him picked... you don't like him.

38 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Results wise, but he's always been on the pace. But one problem was the amount of racing he's had to do because of his unexpected SGP call up.  If we are gifting wildcards then why not Lambert instead of Hancock, he's the future. 

Because Lamberts very best year so far isn't a patch on Hancocks worst GP year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

I agree, but he's not ridden for an entire year.  He may well be good enough, but we simply don't know and because he did not ride for a non speedway injury, he should not be given a wildcard. The reason he did not ride is sad, but this is meant to be the best speedway riders right now, and we simply do not know if Hancock is that.  As I have said multiple times on here, look at how much Woffy struggled after just 2 GPs out injured.

God forbid this happens, but let's say Hancock gets injured early season and can not ride for the rest of the season, and/or comes back to league racing but is average at best, but says he wants to ride in 2021. Do we then gift him another wildcard then simply because he's an ex world champion?    

Obviously not.

He should be given a wild card because he QUALIFIED in his last GP season. Significant difference to those who get them when outside the top 8.

Interview with Armado Castagna on sportowefakty. He says the decision on the wildcards will be made today with an announcement on Monday morning.

He also confirms Greg Hancock will be offered a wildcard. When asked if Hancock will be getting one, he says "Yes. And doesn't he deserve it?"

Away from the wildcard situation, Castanga also said "I can tell you that there will be three big changes in the Grand Prix"... adding that "these will be changes that improve the Grand Prix cycle". He says these changes will be announced at the Frankfurt Conference on November 2-3.

Edited by baiden
Adding extra quotes

Think the wild cards will be woffenden Hancock A laguta and michealsen

i d personally like g laguta in but can t see it . Lambert had a good season last year but this year as levelled off so think he ll get one of the reserve picks along with drabik and possibly smektala

5 minutes ago, r8gdp said:

Think the wild cards will be woffenden Hancock A laguta and michealsen

i d personally like g laguta in but can t see it . Lambert had a good season last year but this year as levelled off so think he ll get one of the reserve picks along with drabik and possibly smektala

Not sure if Lambert has done enough over the season to be chosen as one of the 4 reserves, Thomson must be 1 of the reserves having so narrowly missed out in the challenge meeting, followed by Michelson. Agree with Drabik and Smektala for reserve. Hancock ,Woffy, Laguta and Lindback for the wild cards

When I questioned those who think Drabik should be in, I was met with the response that he is one of (or close to being one of) the best 15 riders in the world. Sorry, I'm still not convinced.

Thing is, I'm not a Lindback fan - way too inconsistent for me - but it comes down to this; is Drabik better than Lindback? At the moment, I would say "no".

I do think that nationality will still play a part, but we have wait and see how big a part. Like some others, I think Michelsen is worthy of inclusion.

As much as I like Lambert, I don't think he is worthy - yet. I don't feel he went backwards this year, but he didn't advance as much as he could. Still, it is not unusual for an up-and-coming rider to have a "year of consolidation" after making an initial impact, and it happens in all sports. Obviously, injuries played a part, and he wasn't able to reproduce his early season form after the SoN crash.

3 hours ago, Col said:

Not checked but I'm sure his Swedish & Polish league averages put him as one of the top 15 riders, plus a second consecutive SoN gold, but from what I've seen he's little other than a gater. If there is a gap that might get closed he doesn't go for it & simply isn't aggressive enough to compete at the very top level.

He has competed at the highest level and done well and for me is easily a top 16 rider.

Would rather see g laguta  over Linback think he will add a little bit more spice to the gp

3 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Imo there are a lot of young riders who should get a chance in front of Lambert for next season. The three young poles who finished 1,2,3, in the world u21. Then you have the young Russian lad Chugnof sorry for the spelling. Lambert had his chance this year. If it's a youngster then one of the others should get a chance for next season.

• Like 1