British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

So it’s Woffinden, Hancock, Lindback & Laguta! 

Whilst I think it’s the right decision, I’m surprised Lindback got one over Michelsen

Looking forward to 2020 already 

Edited by AlexBrady

30 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BIT more than just an ex-Champion...

Not according to the experts on here...

This is what gets me; do we want the best riders, or do we want the future? If we want the best riders, I am sure that Greg still would still be one of those. The idea of a World Championship is surely to feature the best competitors on current form, not who will be best in five or ten years time.

So, given that Hancock has been out of action for a year, it seems that there are those who think he is "washed up". How many top riders in the past have had a year off - or longer - because of injury or other personal issues? And returned at - or close to - the same level?

As a Dons fan, Todd Wiltshire and Ronnie Moore are two that immediately spring to mind. Briggo wasn't that far off after missing a year and a half... So, I have no reason to suspect that Hancock wouldn't be able to compete at GP level...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexBrady said:

So it’s Woffinden, Hancock, Lindback & Laguta! 

Whilst I think it’s the right decision, I’m surprised Lindback got one over Michelsen

Looking forward to 2020 already 

I agree. As has been stated, probably because a second Swede was preferable to a third Dane... I thought that Nationality would enter into it.

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not according to the experts on here...

This is what gets me; do we want the best riders, or do we want the future? If we want the best riders, I am sure that Greg still would still be one of those. The idea of a World Championship is surely to feature the best competitors on current form, not who will be best in five or ten years time.

So, given that Hancock has been out of action for a year, it seems that there are those who think he is "washed up". How many top riders in the past have had a year off - or longer - because of injury or other personal issues? And returned at - or close to - the same level?

As a Dons fan, Todd Wiltshire and Ronnie Moore are two that immediately spring to mind. Briggo wasn't that far off after missing a year and a half... So, I have no reason to suspect that Hancock wouldn't be able to compete at GP level...

At the age of 50?!!......None of those you mentioned were anywhere near that age. He will have the odd decent performance but on the whole, will be an also ran next season. Lindback is also very very lucky to be given another chance too, in my opinion.

Linback very very lucky in my opinion too . Still think g laguta would have added more to the series 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ytsejam said:

At the age of 50?!!......None of those you mentioned were anywhere near that age. He will have the odd decent performance but on the whole, will be an also ran next season. Lindback is also very very lucky to be given another chance too, in my opinion.

I believe that Hancock is still one of the top 15 riders in the world. I am clearly not the only one, as that is the reason he has been chosen. Age is irrelevant.

As I have said a couple of times, I am not a fan of Lindback, and personally, I would have gone for Michelsen. However, I can't really claim that he is "better" than Lindback.

Just now, chunky said:

I believe that Hancock is still one of the top 15 riders in the world. I am clearly not the only one, as that is the reason he has been chosen. Age is irrelevant.

As I have said a couple of times, I am not a fan of Lindback, and personally, I would have gone for Michelsen. However, I can't really claim that he is "better" than Lindback.

Sadly, age catches up with us all, even the very best, and I just cant see how his reactions, fitness, recovery rate and race sharpness can be expected to be anywhere near what they used to be at his age. Its a fact of life, else all the previous "greats" would have still been racing at the age of 50!....most of them didnt want to retire, I'm sure, its that they knew that their bodies and reactions just weren't up to it anymore. 

I agree about Michelson too, but would like to have seen one of the top 3 in the U21 World Championship, given a chance.

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Happy with Hancock too but I thought michealsen would get in ahead of Linback due to his performance in the euro championship

4 minutes ago, ray c said:

Disappointed to say the least

Me too, I'd have preferred some new blood.

14 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Me too, I'd have preferred some new blood.

Not one new rider only max 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ytsejam said:

Sadly, age catches up with us all, even the very best, and I just cant see how his reactions, fitness, recovery rate and race sharpness can be expected to be anywhere near what they used to be at his age. Its a fact of life, else all the previous "greats" would have still been racing at the age of 50!....most of them didnt want to retire, I'm sure, its that they knew that their bodies and reactions just weren't up to it anymore. 

I agree about Michelson too, but would like to have seen one of the top 3 in the U21 World Championship, given a chance.

I don't dispute that age catches up with us, but fitness in sports these days is so different to what it was back in the day. The riders I grew up with were largely beer-swilling brutes who you rarely saw without a fag in their hand!

24 minutes ago, chunky said:

Maybe Monster Joe had a little say in the matter!!

9 minutes ago, Crumpet77 said:

Sorry Phil, i'm not getting your point. I did say he should get a place next year.

HIS contribution to the SGP, and indeed speedway as a whole, since 1995 meant he had a lot of credit in the bank of goodwill. I know Greg well enough that if he didn't feel he could compete at this level he would not have accepted a spot. He is a very proud man and certainly doesn't want to leave his speedway legacy in tatters.

• Thanks 1