British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

But due to his current circumstances, which could change for better or worst fairly quickly. Surely they should give him a date to declare that he will take his place so if he cannot commit to a full season another rider can be called in for a permanent slot.

I fail to see what Linback has done to justify a wildcard 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I believe that Hancock is still one of the top 15 riders in the world. I am clearly not the only one, as that is the reason he has been chosen. Age is irrelevant.

As I have said a couple of times, I am not a fan of Lindback, and personally, I would have gone for Michelsen. However, I can't really claim that he is "better" than Lindback.

That doesn't say much for the rest of the riders out there if you think a guy who hasn't ridden for a year is still one of the best 15 riders in the world, I don't really agree with his inclusion but I can ununderstand derstehy he was chosen 

11 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

That doesn't say much for the rest of the riders out there if you think a guy who hasn't ridden for a year is still one of the best 15 riders in the world, I don't really agree with his inclusion but I can ununderstand derstehy he was chosen 

Just because someone doesn't ride for a year it doesn't mean they lose everything, and it doesn't reflect poorly on the others.

Again, the problem for most people seems to be his age, which is actually irrelevant...

23 minutes ago, DSC67 said:

I fail to see what Linback has done to justify a wildcard 

I agree, WOFFINDEN and HANCOCK were always certs but we needed a couple of new boys and two out of Michelsen, Thomsen, Smektala and Drabik would have surely been a good way to spice it up.

Lindback is a really strange decision, I would be interested to hear the rational on that choice.

5 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I agree, WOFFINDEN and HANCOCK were always certs but we needed a couple of new boys and two out of Michelsen, Thomsen, Smektala and Drabik would have surely been a good way to spice it up.

Lindback is a really strange decision, I would be interested to hear the rational on that choice.

Uhmmm....diversity perhaps?!!!!!....can’t think of anything else to be honest with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

I believe that Hancock is still one of the top 15 riders in the world. I am clearly not the only one, as that is the reason he has been chosen. Age is irrelevant.

As I have said a couple of times, I am not a fan of Lindback, and personally, I would have gone for Michelsen. However, I can't really claim that he is "better" than Lindback.

I think you can. Michelsen averaged 2 points a match more in the Extraliga and over a point a match more in the Elitserien.

21 minutes ago, chunky said:

Just because someone doesn't ride for a year it doesn't mean they lose everything, and it doesn't reflect poorly on the others.

Again, the problem for most people seems to be his age, which is actually irrelevant...

It's a bit like a footballer who's out for a while he may be fit but not match fit , Greg being fit is one thing being race fit and race sharp is totally different , it's ok going around a track on your own but when there's three others out that's another matter  

• Like 1

The one thing that I feel about Greg is he has not retired( taken a certain mindset ) and comeback he has just taken timeout for a very good reason ,because of the type of rider/style he has I think he will carry on where he left off.The big question will be if he can still commit 100% to the first bend ,that usually tells me when a rider is done ,I am sure he will be fit and  raring to go in 2020!

I for one am glad Lindback has got a wildcard. Lets not forget that Antonio missed  the Malilla round through injury and would have been expected to do ok in one of his home GP`s. He only finished 13 points behind Laguta. 

Lindback 9 years in the GPs never finished better than 7th, just because he is Swedish. Michelsen should have been given it better league form.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I think you can. Michelsen averaged 2 points a match more in the Extraliga and over a point a match more in the Elitserien.

That is a fair point....

It's funny, looking at some of the comments on these threads (not just this particular one)...

Some don't want Hancock because he's old.

Some don't want Hancock because he's "boring".

Some don't want Lindback because he's "never finished higher than seventh".

Some don't want Iversen and Zagar because "they don't add anything".

Some don't want Laguta because he is "just a gater".

Some want a bunch of youngsters, just because "they are the future".

The thing to remember is that this is the World Championship. Unlike the old system, the GP series is actually designed to include the best 15 riders in the world, and surely, that SHOULD be a goal of ANY world championship. World championships are designed to find the best right now, not those who will be competing ten years down the road.

No, it's not going to be perfect, as nothing ever is. There will always be questions. Yes, personally, I would like to have seen Michelsen in place of Lindback, but can ANYONE state categorically that the line-up for 2020 doesn't include - or at least come damn close to including - all the best riders in the world?

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, chunky said:

It's funny, looking at some of the comments on these threads (not just this particular one)...

Some don't want Hancock because he's old.

Some don't want Hancock because he's "boring".

Some don't want Lindback because he's "never finished higher than seventh".

Some don't want Iversen and Zagar because "they don't add anything".

Some don't want Laguta because he is "just a gater".

Some want a bunch of youngsters, just because "they are the future".

The thing to remember is that this is the World Championship. Unlike the old system, the GP series is actually designed to include the best 15 riders in the world, and surely, that SHOULD be a goal of ANY world championship. World championships are designed to find the best right now, not those who will be competing ten years down the road.

No, it's not going to be perfect, as nothing ever is. There will always be questions. Yes, personally, I would like to have seen Michelsen in place of Lindback, but can ANYONE state categorically that the line-up for 2020 doesn't include - or at least come damn close to including - all the best riders in the world?

Steve

Who are the best riders in the world and how do you know that they are the 15 best in the world? How do you do when you decide who the best in the world are? 

1 minute ago, Ghostwalker said:

Who are the best riders in the world and how do you know that they are the 15 best in the world? How do you do when you decide who the best in the world are? 

GP qualifiers and Challenge final ?  Cook scored 1 more than Michelsen in Gorican- i don`t see many who wanted Cook in it for 2020.

• Like 1