Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

Lindback back in is a joke!!!!

Michelsen 45 SEC pts Lindback 22 & equal 11th in SEC!!!!

Michelsen better season in Polish Ekstraliga or Grigory Laguta NOT Lindback.

Can anyone give me a GOOD REASON why Antonio is back in. Certainly not one of the top 15 in the World on this season`s overall results.

Oh but there are likely to be 2 GPs in Sweden next season!!!

Who is on the selection committee to make such a choice?

But as we ll know these selections are all down to pounds-shillings & pence!!!

Never the best 15. Lindback selection certainly weakens next years series.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Never gave a thought that Lindback would get a wild card.

Quite honestly, I didn't either. It was only after looking at some of the alternatives I realised that he was even a contender. For some reason, there is quite a gulf between levels at the moment...

• Like 1

The 2020 line up may be fairly close to the world’s top fifteen but with a very similar field to this year and with pretty much the same tracks it doesn’t fill me with great anticipation for next year. Smacks of more of the same which, for me at least, wasn’t a particularly vintage year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

The 2020 line up may be fairly close to the world’s top fifteen but with a very similar field to this year and with pretty much the same tracks it doesn’t fill me with great anticipation for next year. Smacks of more of the same which, for me at least, wasn’t a particularly vintage year. 

Cant say I disagree with you, but that isn't the fault of the riders involved; qualification opportunities are there, but if nobody new is able to step up and qualify, then what can you do?

The problem is that there are a small group of riders who (and this may sound harsh) aren't good enough to consistently challenge the elite. However, there is nobody out there better than them, so they usually re-qualify, or get the wildcards because there is nobody ready to take their place.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Cant say I disagree with you, but that isn't the fault of the riders involved; qualification opportunities are there, but if nobody new is able to step up and qualify, then what can you do?

The problem is that there are a small group of riders who (and this may sound harsh) aren't good enough to consistently challenge the elite. However, there is nobody out there better than them, so they usually re-qualify, or get the wildcards because there is nobody ready to take their place.

I think that sums it up.  The likes of Zagar, Iversen, Vaculik can win a GP at any time..... just like Kolodeiz did this year...... but they cannot do it regularly. But they would be a loss to the series if not in for 2020.  Lambert early on this year got to a couple of semis, but couldn’t do it regularly.  And that’s the thinking I have at the moment with the likes of Drabik and Smektala. Against other under 21’s they look amazing (and they are), but can they do that against the more established senior riders? Sure they can on occasions and on certain (gaters) tracks, but not regularly. Even on a big track like Pardubice for the under 21 WC last Friday, when those two were gated they were sometimes not as dominant and even being passed by some of the others ie Cuganov in the final, and Lindsey was a challenge to them.

This year Lambert got the pick of first series reserve. Why him and not Drabik or Smektala? They are better then him, must have been done purely on nationality. Too many Poles in the series, even up with the possibility of a Brit, or even an Aussie (Fricke). When they got the chance, Fricke  seemed to have taken hold of the opportunity more then Lambert, and IMO was clearly better.  Plus, Fricke performed well in the Challenge final, Lambert was carrying a big injury.  I hope Fricke can build on that, get the sponsorship to invest in the equipment needed for a GP season, and move forward.

IMO, Lambert will benefit immensely by Not being in the 2020 series. It was tough for him this year, injury as well. He can go out confident in the fact he can race at that level, now needs to develop the consistency to do it. Perhaps couple years time he will be back. 

Re. Michelson, if he is as good as those who wanted him as a wild card say he is, he to will prove it in 2021. If he had finished higher in the Challenge then either Zagar, Iversen or Vaculik, then maybe his claim to a spot this year would have been more valid, but he didn’t. If he can progress in 2021 then may be he qualifies or wild card in 2022. 

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Smacks of more of the same which, for me at least, wasn’t a particularly vintage year. 

Yet it was the closest contested GP series I can remember, World Championship decided in the semi finals of the final GP of the series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

This year Lambert got the pick of first series reserve. Why him and not Drabik or Smektala? 

Probably because Lambert proved himself at the top level with silver in the SoN & bronze in the SEC.  Drabik & Smektala may have outperformed him in the U21 but just look at the careers of Robert Miśkowiak, Karol Ząbik & Dawid Kujawa all U21 Champions that careers plummeted once they were no longer protected by being Ekstraliga reserves.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The likes of Zagar, Iversen, Vaculik can win a GP at any time..... just like Kolodeiz did this year...... but they cannot do it regularly. But they would be a loss to the series if not in for 2020.  Lambert early on this year got to a couple of semis, but couldn’t do it regularly.

This year Lambert got the pick of first series reserve. Why him and not Drabik or Smektala?

Firstly, Vaculik doesn't belong in this conversation; he is better than the others mentioned, and he finished fifth - comfortably.

Lambert's performances tailed off after the injuries. I'm not saying he was top eight material, but he would have been much more competitive overall.

I don't know too much about Drabik, and haven't seen that much of him, but I don't feel that Smektala is better than Lambert.

Lindback & Lambert both had poor 2019's compared to 2018, I expect them to be perform better in 2020.  Neither however deserve a permanent wildcard in the GP's at this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col said:

Yet it was the closest contested GP series I can remember, World Championship decided in the semi finals of the final GP of the series.

That’s a fair point. It could just as much be my own issue as that of the series. GP speedway just doesn’t give me the buzz it once did. 

Not a surprise, but this from the SGP website says it all.

Hancock is set for an historic return to speedway in a year, which will see him become the first 50-year-old to compete in the SGP series, when he celebrates his half-century on June 3, 2020.

This is not a sporting decision, this is a marketing decision. If we are going purely from sport, there is literally zero evidence that he is capable of competing after what, 15-16 months out of the saddle? Whilst I am not a fan after his pathetic bullying campaign against Nicki, I truly hope that he can compete otherwise it will prove the mockery of the system.  So many questions... How much will they hype his age up next season?  How much influence do Monster have in this process?  Was that the real reason Monster flew him over to Cardiff?  Is he definitely riding? Because if not it will be unfair on the reserve call-up if that rider gets told he's riding the series at the very last minute. 

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, iand said:

Not sure if Lambert has done enough over the season to be chosen as one of the 4 reserves, Thomson must be 1 of the reserves having so narrowly missed out in the challenge meeting, followed by Michelson. Agree with Drabik and Smektala for reserve. Hancock ,Woffy, Laguta and Lindback for the wild cards

Correctly got the 4 right, does anyone know how many times Lindback has got a wildcard. Remember a few years back when people were moaning about Harris and Lindgren always getting them. Freddie now comfortably a top 8 rider with Harris still trying to get back in the series. Chris even managed to get to the Challenge final this year and will no doubt be up for it next year if selected by the BSPA to represent GB in the qualifiers. 

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

That’s a fair point. It could just as much be my own issue as that of the series. GP speedway just doesn’t give me the buzz it once did. 

GP's give me a buzz alright, especially on a track that allows racing of the highest order.

Its British speedway that is flat for me, for the opposite reasons. I know all tracks cannot be like BV, but preparation for racing is lacking at most.

• Like 1

Wilcards are Hancock, Woffinden, Laguta & Lindback.  Didn't realise that was announced last night apologies for repeat.

Edited by Col