British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

Simple really. They usually re-invite the 9th and 10 riders back in but this time they are already  in via the challenge so they have gone for 11th and 12th instead.

2 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Simple really. They usually re-invite the 9th and 10 riders back in but this time they are already  in via the challenge so they have gone for 11th and 12th instead.

I expect they looked at the three riders finishing fifth in the challenge, Asprgen, Loktaev and Thomsen, then quite rightly concluded Lindback was the better choice.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gavan said:

People wanting the likes of Drabik, Smektala and Lambert because they are young and will 'add something'.

What will they add apart from in all liklihood being the bottom 3 in the series

I seem to recall some said that about Woffy the year he was given a wildcard.    Lambert always looked well on the pace this year, and had he been given a wildcard and a full winter to prepare and perhaps less meetings then who knows maybe he would be more competitive. But no, they have given it a 50 year old rider whose not ridden competitively in what 12+ months?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Who are the top 16 riders in the Polish League? You shouldn't really be looking too far away from those to find out the best rider in the world

1. Madsen (2nd in GP)
2. Zmarzlik (1st)
3. Sajfutdinow (3rd)

(amazingly, also the top three in GP series)

4. Vaculik (5th)
5. A. Laguta (11th)
6. Doyle (7th)
7. Kolodziej (14th)
8. Woffinden (13th)
9. G. Laguta (-)
10. Drabik (-)
11. Pi. Pawlicki (-)
12. Pedersen (-)
13. Michelsen (-)
14. Bjerre (-)
15. Janowski (6th)
16. Wozniak (-)

17. Dudek (8th)
18. Lindgren (4th)
21. Fricke (GP 2020)
24. Iversen (10th)
25. Zagar (9th)
33. Lindback (12th)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gavan said:

I cant believe the things that some people say on here

About how boring next years series will be

People wanting the likes of Drabik, Smektala and Lambert because they are young and will 'add something'.

What will they add apart from in all liklihood being the bottom 3 in the series

ALL riders have a chance to qualify..............the likes of Zagar and Iversen proving they are the better riders than the supposed young riders.

Michelsen is a possibility but he had hos chance and got 5 in the challenge..........and in Vojens he hardly pulled up any trees scored 6....3 points less than Lindback

Wouldnt have worried me if it was MIchelsen or Lindback...........

Someone has to come 12th and 13th and if those riders who are 12th and 13th are better than the 'young guns' then they need to be in.

Nobody can turn round and say that next season we dont have the worlds best 15 riders.

I also feel the GPs need shaking up - maybe less rounds, or new faces.  It does feel like we're watching the same guys racing too many times and the results in one meeting have less significance to the title overall because there are a lot of rounds.  However, it is a commercial enterprise so understand they need to maximise income.

If, as you suggest, they give wildcards to 9/10th or this year 11/12th then why not simply make it the top 10 of those not already qualified?   I think it's more to do with the countries they represent and for me, Laguta is as dull as.

The big surprise has to be Lindback, simply because of the 13-point chasm between the riders in the eleventh and twelfth places. In short, Lindback was an also ran for the majority of this year’s series. Excluding Greg (out the whole year) and Woffy (injured and then coming back from injury), Lindback was the second worst rider in this year’s series, ahead of only Kolodziej.  Odd that he’s been included, ahead of the likes of Drabik and Michelsen, who clearly showed better form in 2019.

With 14 of the same permanent 15 riders as 2019, the GP is in danger of becoming a closed shop. Even “the new face” (Fricke) rode in half of this year’s series as second reserve rider.

It needed at least one fresh face. Drabik or Michelsen would have provided that.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

Always going to be contentious issue on who they pick ,they should be concentrating on picking better tracks IMO.Give the riders a decent track and you will get some cracking racing.

• Like 3

I think its fair to say that as much as most of us are in agreement that Lindback is lucky to get a pick, he hasn't been chosen in front of a possible title contender, he's been picked over younger riders who would mostly likely finish a few places above or below 8th place. So yes not a brilliant pick but also hardly complete travesty. averaged 7 points a GP, make a decent amount of semis. Not a huge fan of his, but I dont think its a complete travesty.

RE Hancock, he's deserved this wild card at the absolute very least. Despite his age and time out, I'd be very surprised if he wasn't competitive. If he isn't he will bow out gracefully. Thats the kind of guy he is. 

Laguta, well Id prefer his brother but is is Artem one of the best 15 riders in the world? I think most would agree absolutely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheReturn said:

I seem to recall some said that about Woffy the year he was given a wildcard.    Lambert always looked well on the pace this year, and had he been given a wildcard and a full winter to prepare and perhaps less meetings then who knows maybe he would be more competitive. But no, they have given it a 50 year old rider whose not ridden competitively in what 12+ months?

I cant take you seriously if you dont think Hancock deserves a wildcard

99% of people on here agree with the first 3 its only Lindback people questioning

Im not Hancocks biggest fan but he 100% deserves a wildcard

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chunky said:

It's funny, looking at some of the comments on these threads (not just this particular one)...

Some don't want Hancock because he's old.

Some don't want Hancock because he's "boring".

Some don't want Lindback because he's "never finished higher than seventh".

Some don't want Iversen and Zagar because "they don't add anything".

Some don't want Laguta because he is "just a gater".

Some want a bunch of youngsters, just because "they are the future".

The thing to remember is that this is the World Championship. Unlike the old system, the GP series is actually designed to include the best 15 riders in the world, and surely, that SHOULD be a goal of ANY world championship. World championships are designed to find the best right now, not those who will be competing ten years down the road.

No, it's not going to be perfect, as nothing ever is. There will always be questions. Yes, personally, I would like to have seen Michelsen in place of Lindback, but can ANYONE state categorically that the line-up for 2020 doesn't include - or at least come damn close to including - all the best riders in the world?

Steve

100% correct. The World Championship is the here and now of the best in the world. Simple. Despite being challenged on multiple occasions, I have yet to see any naysayer list 15 riders who they can credibly argue are better than Greg Hancock...and at this stage, it's fair to assume, they are permanently swerving the question. Why? Because it would expose the futility of their argument.

I'm sure the day will come when Greg Hancock is not among the world's elite, but until we see that on track, we cannot say when that is. He comfortably qualified for this year's series and understandably could not take up the opportunity.

And for the umpteenth time - and at the risk of boring myself - we cannot judge this guy on what has gone before because what he is doing is unprecedented. There is no-one in speedway history who has been a proven winner deep into his forties. Even Ivan Mauger, that other great mould-breaker was tootling around on his farewell tour aged 45. What was Greg Hancock doing...he was one year shy of his fourth World Title. 

Edited by falcace
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gavan said:

Someone has to come 12th and 13th and if those riders who are 12th and 13th are better than the 'young guns' then they need to be in.

Absolutely. In the harshest terms, guys like Chris Morton, Mitch Shirra, Ronnie Correy clocked up a few World Final appearances between them and none of them ever got on the rostrum or contended. But they were among the best in the world in their time and merited their place. Would people have rather seen Andy Smith, David Bargh and Charles Ermolenko or other "up and comers" of the time in their place? It's about being good enough. 

• Like 1

Greg is amazing, but he's go some to catch up Posa Serenius.  World Champion for the second time at the age of 54, and eventually kicked out of the series at the age of 61, after needing beta-blockers to keep on going and they're on the banned list.

And yes, there is yes less depth in Ice Racing, but to beat the top Russians on their sponsored machinery at the age of 54 is still amazing.

So maybe Greg's not quite finished after all ;)

I agree the only really contentious wildcard is Lindback.  That seems daft based on the 10 Grand Prix from this year. It's not like there isn't already another Swede in the series.  I don't think he is amongst the best 15 riders in the world - the Polish averages posted seem to confirm that. Drabik and Michelsen have had more successful seasons and one of them should have been given the opportunity.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Greg is amazing, but he's go some to catch up Posa Serenius.  World Champion for the second time at the age of 54, and eventually kicked out of the series at the age of 61, after needing beta-blockers to keep on going and they're on the banned list.

And yes, there is yes less depth in Ice Racing, but to beat the top Russians on their sponsored machinery at the age of 54 is still amazing.

So maybe Greg's not quite finished after all ;)

I agree the only really contentious wildcard is Lindback.  That seems daft based on the 10 Grand Prix from this year. It's not like there isn't already another Swede in the series. 

You know, I doubt Greg Hancock will win a fifth title. But I wouldn't put my life on it. I've been wrong about him too many times in the past.

Lindback shouldn't have got a pick. Is that a Monster energy pick? Can't remember if he's Monster sponsored or not

Clearly Laguta version 2.0 would bring so much more but perhaps after his ban he's still in the cooling off period

It's still a great line up though. 

substitute riders: Smolinski, Michelsen, Smektala, Thomsen, Aspgren, Berge

why Smektala, not Drabik?
why Smolinski, not Huckenback?

Edited by tarkens