British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

9 hours ago, Terry said:

Third charity pick for Woffinden. Hmm, turning into the next Harris methinks.. :wink:

A bit harsh but I must admit that it had crossed my mind whether Woffy will be the rider he was big injury ,3 titles ,young family ,plenty of kite in the bank and coming up to 30 yrs old( not that old but some riders just seem to go off at that age )  but he deserves his w/card IMO.

52 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

A bit harsh but I must admit that it had crossed my mind whether Woffy will be the rider he was big injury ,3 titles ,young family ,plenty of kite in the bank and coming up to 30 yrs old( not that old but some riders just seem to go off at that age )  but he deserves his w/card IMO.

Yeah a light-hearted comment (hence the wink!) However, putting on my serious expression I've always hated these 'four free passes' that they hand out each year.

I remember in the early years of the series all of the riders had to qualify and if you missed out, tough.Tomasz Gollob didn't get seeded into the 96 series, even though there were no Polish qualifiers and, believe it or not, 6 Brits!

That's how it was until 99 when Billy Hamill got a season-long pass.

I think everybody knows Lindback only got his place because of his nationality.

19 hours ago, Welwyn said:

Hancock - Finished 5th in 2018 & only 7 points off a medal. I frankly think it's disgusting for anyone to suggest that he should lose his place to do what he has done this year. If you didn't give Hancock a wildcard you would set a dangerous future precedent that would affect other riders decisions if faced with a similar issue in future and could seriously mess with their mental health. Sure, he may be affected by the year out and his age but that is just guesswork by anyone. Maybe we get to know it was the wrong decision by Turn 1, Heat 1, GP1 next year if he is tentative into it but we don't know that.

Have a word with yourself.  It's not disgusting at all to question the decision.   Yes he finished 5th in 2018, and is a former world champion, so what?  By the start of the first 2020 GP that will be what, 18ish months later?  Which brings me back to the point I have been making, somebody has decided that Hancock is still amongst the best 15 riders in the world, but based on what?  It's not based on speed, averages, 2019 results, it's based on marketing and/or nostalgia and that's a dangerous precedent to set for what is meant to be the best of the best. 

8 hours ago, Terry said:

I remember in the early years of the series all of the riders had to qualify and if you missed out, tough.Tomasz Gollob didn't get seeded into the 96 series, even though there were no Polish qualifiers and, believe it or not, 6 Brits!

This....

Sometimes injuries and bad luck mean you will not get your seat at the top table.  A real sportsperson would want to prove themselves by qualifying, not by being gifted.   

If wildcards have to be offered, they should only be offered for a qualification meeting, not the series itself. 

Edited by TheReturn

56 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Have a word with yourself.  It's not disgusting at all to question the decision.   Yes he finished 5th in 2018, and is a former world champion, so what?  By the start of the first 2020 GP that will be what, 18ish months later?  Which brings me back to the point I have been making, somebody has decided that Hancock is still amongst the best 15 riders in the world, but based on what?  It's not based on speed, averages, 2019 results, it's based on marketing and/or nostalgia and that's a dangerous precedent to set for what is meant to be the best of the best. 

This....

Sometimes injuries and bad luck mean you will not get your seat at the top table.  A real sportsperson would want to prove themselves by qualifying, not by being gifted.   

If wildcards have to be offered, they should only be offered for a qualification meeting, not the series itself. 

But thats not the current rules, so that argument is ruled out

You just dont like him, thats ok, just say so, no problem.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, lucifer sam said:

The big surprise has to be Lindback, simply because of the 13-point chasm between the riders in the eleventh and twelfth places. In short, Lindback was an also ran for the majority of this year’s series. Excluding Greg (out the whole year) and Woffy (injured and then coming back from injury), Lindback was the second worst rider in this year’s series, ahead of only Kolodziej.  Odd that he’s been included, ahead of the likes of Drabik and Michelsen, who clearly showed better form in 2019.

With 14 of the same permanent 15 riders as 2019, the GP is in danger of becoming a closed shop. Even “the new face” (Fricke) rode in half of this year’s series as second reserve rider.

It needed at least one fresh face. Drabik or Michelsen would have provided that.

I'm sure Phil Rising will give us a rigorous defence to the wisdom of BSI picking Antonio Lindback as a wildcard. The asperation might be to pick the best 4 riders but unfortunately they also have to come from the right part of the World. Lindback has been selected because BSI need more than 1 Swede in the field having to sell 2 GP's in far flung Swedish venues  almost devoid of travelling fans. Antonio has had a good run in the GP, and has won GP's but rarely challenges the top 8. There were other , better options, The other Laguta,, Michelsen to name 2. But unfortunately the GP has always been run on a quota system.

2 hours ago, iwright71 said:

I'm sure Phil Rising will give us a rigorous defence to the wisdom of BSI picking Antonio Lindback as a wildcard. The asperation might be to pick the best 4 riders but unfortunately they also have to come from the right part of the World. Lindback has been selected because BSI need more than 1 Swede in the field having to sell 2 GP's in far flung Swedish venues  almost devoid of travelling fans. Antonio has had a good run in the GP, and has won GP's but rarely challenges the top 8. There were other , better options, The other Laguta,, Michelsen to name 2. But unfortunately the GP has always been run on a quota system.

FIM keeping the Swedish flag flying.....shame the young talent from  Sweden seems to have dried up

3 hours ago, iwright71 said:

But unfortunately the GP has always been run on a quota system.

So was the old world final system, so your point is?

2 hours ago, KIRKYLANE said:

FIM keeping the Swedish flag flying.....shame the young talent from  Sweden seems to have dried up

They've got some up and coming riders, but not many. Oliver Berntzon and Phillip Hellstrom-Bangs are worth keeping an eye on though I'm not sure how young the former is. With Andreas Jonsson retired there's not much depth. With the exodus of expensive foreign talent seemingly set to grow next year it could give young talent some space to develop. Too many teams over there are crowded out by Poles, many of whom simply don't deliver in Sweden. 

7 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

They've got some up and coming riders, but not many. Oliver Berntzon and Phillip Hellstrom-Bangs are worth keeping an eye on though I'm not sure how young the former is. With Andreas Jonsson retired there's not much depth. With the exodus of expensive foreign talent seemingly set to grow next year it could give young talent some space to develop. Too many teams over there are crowded out by Poles, many of whom simply don't deliver in Sweden. 

Berntzon is 26. Not a single Swede under 25 averaged even a point a ride in this year's Elitserien. Hellstrom-Bangs (who is still 16) is definitely the hot prospect, only Hjelmland and Anton Karlsson of the other young riders look like Elitserien material at the moment.

As i said check Lindbacks record this season it isnt that bad

5 semi finals in 9 gp's

Granted he isnt likely to challenge the rostrum but then again would the riders people have put up to replace him do that

Im all for young blood but not if they arent going to be any better than the rider they are replacing

• Like 1

My immediate reaction to the news about next year's wildcards was that the choices seem to lack imagination. The substitutes do, however, seem to redress the balance, a little, at least.

19 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Based on him comfortably qualifying for this year's GP and exceptional circumstances ruling him out. How many more ruddy times does that need pointing out to you?! 

Again, for the 117th time, let's see your 15 better riders. Let's see your alternatives, then we can truly contrast and compare. (he says...knowing there's no bleeding chance of this guy ever willing to list them as it will expose the futility of his argument).

Edited by falcace

The wildcards look ok to me

• Like 1

Seems a number on here want to get the S.E.C.  champion a guaranteed spot in the GP.  How is that fair ? 5 points in the GP Qualifier for Michelsen when  he had chance to qualify and why should he get 2 bites at the cherry.

18 minutes ago, Fullmax said:

Seems a number on here want to get the S.E.C.  champion a guaranteed spot in the GP.  How is that fair ? 5 points in the GP Qualifier for Michelsen when  he had chance to qualify and why should he get 2 bites at the cherry.

By entering two routes to qualification - an option open to all European riders.