British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

9 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

By entering two routes to qualification - an option open to all European riders. 

So only European riders get 2 chances ? Thats hardly fair.

49 minutes ago, Fullmax said:

So only European riders get 2 chances ? Thats hardly fair.

Not sure how the recent posts have got in such a mess.

1 The  SEC stands for speedway European championships and has nothing to do with the GP. It has it`s own qualification(for Europeans !!) has it`s own seeded riders(Europeans !!) from the final results and has it`s own wildcards(Europeans !!)

2 The GP qualification is open to all federations and every year the top 3 from the challenge final get into the following season`s GP`s.The GP`s   also has it`s own seeded riders and Wildcards.

Both competitions are separate and have nothing to do with each other apart from the SEC cannot pick GP riders(European ones !!) as their wildcards.

Edited by racers and royals

3 hours ago, Fullmax said:

Seems a number on here want to get the S.E.C.  champion a guaranteed spot in the GP.  How is that fair ? 5 points in the GP Qualifier for Michelsen when  he had chance to qualify and why should he get 2 bites at the cherry.

He had his chance to qualify and didnt make it.

I know there isnt an easy answer but the GP challenge is a one off meeting where a top rider can have one bad ride or engine failure. It could also be on a track that riders dont like and others do....lets face it this season we were close to having Aspgren and Pavlic in the gp's....and people moan about Lindback

I remember back in 1999 Mark Loram had an amazing gp season as a reserve and almost got a rostrum after missing a round............he went to the gp challenge on the ultra slick Lonigo circuit at a time where the format was 2 rides in 3rd and 4th and you were out.

Mark was in an elimination race and for 2 and a half laps was stuck in 3rd (behind Stoney and Jacek Gollob i believe), before finding a way past and staying in.............he made it by the skin of his teeth into the 2000 GP series......taking 7 rides to qualify..............and as i recall he didnt do to bad that following season!

Funnily enough the 2000 one and two came from the previous seasons challenge!

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Not sure how the recent posts have got in such a mess.

1 The  SEC stands for speedway European championships and has nothing to do with the GP. It has it`s own qualification(for Europeans !!) has it`s own seeded riders(Europeans !!) from the final results and has it`s own wildcards(Europeans !!)

2 The GP qualification is open to all federations and every year the top 3 from the challenge final get into the following season`s GP`s.The GP`s   also has it`s own seeded riders and Wildcards.

Both competitions are separate and have nothing to do with each other apart from the SEC cannot pick GP riders(European ones !!) as their wildcards.

My comment was only appropriate if an SEC win WAS to become a route to SGP qualification. Until that happens, if ever, European riders have one route, like anybody else. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:59 PM, chunky said:

So was the old world final system, so your point is?

The point is that one of the reasons we moved away from One Off World Finals was to try to assemble the best 15 riders in the world to contest the World  Championship. Unfortunately there still has to be riders nominated primarily by their nationality to ensure key markets that host GP's have ample riders from that nation to aid selling tickets. I get this but lets not dress it up that if Antonio Lindback was not Swedish but say Danish he would not have received a wildcard for next years GP Series. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

The point is that one of the reasons we moved away from One Off World Finals was to try to assemble the best 15 riders in the world to contest the World  Championship. Unfortunately there still has to be riders nominated primarily by their nationality to ensure key markets that host GP's have ample riders from that nation to aid selling tickets. I get this but lets not dress it up that if Antonio Lindback was not Swedish but say Danish he would not have received a wildcard for next years GP Series. 

I have repeatedly stated that one of the GP's biggest selling points is that it is designed to find the top 15 riders (or close to the top 15) in the world, whereas the world final certainly wasn't. The problem is that a lot of people still think the old system was best.

As dad as Lindback, of course, part of it was because of his nationality, but it is still not obvious - despite what some people think - that there were other candidates clearly better than him. So, you have one "debatable" inclusion out of 15? Helluva lot better than the old days!

On 10/5/2019 at 7:56 PM, Panthers89 said:

Hancock

Tai 

Laguta 

Lindback? 

Would think they would want another Swede in the line up, but the first three are bankers IMO.

Well...… wasn't that predictable!

On 10/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, tarkens said:

substitute riders: Smolinski, Michelsen, Smektala, Thomsen, Aspgren, Berge

why Smektala, not Drabik?
why Smolinski, not Huckenback?

Drabik was offered the first reserve slot, but turned it down.

20 hours ago, baiden said:

Drabik was offered the first reserve slot, but turned it down.

Why would he do that?

On 10/18/2019 at 2:14 PM, Col said:

Why would he do that?

Not sure why he would refuse, no reason was given. It was an nSport+ exclusive in Poland I think, and then he may have mentioned it himself at the PGE Gala.