British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheReturn

2020 Wildcards

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

If Dudek had missed out, I would have gone for Drabik, but you really think we need Ianother Pole?

It's not about needing another Pole.  It's about having the best 15 riders in the world (or as near as possible) in the series.  None of the alternatives are as good as Drabik.

Edited by lucifer sam

1 minute ago, lucifer sam said:

It's not about needing another Pole.  It's about having the best 15 riders in the world (or as near as possible) in the series.  None of the alternatives are as good as Drabik.

That does come into it, though.  You, really think Drabik would fit the bill right now?

Drabyk would be the most exciting rider of the series if he gets a pick, amazing skill on a bike

1 hour ago, Crumpet77 said:

Not good enough, gone backwards this year.

Predominantly due to two massive crashes. But I agree, not ready based on this year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Woffinden

Hancock

Laguta

Drabik

would be my choices as well. Think the Drabik spot may go to Michelsen or Lambert though, but personally think Drabik or Smektala are more deserving.

Equally interesting is the 4 series reserves. Say that because this year Lambert really got used, and Fricke didn’t do too bad for meetings. So who are the 4 for 2020.

If Lambert not in the full 15, does he have another pick for 4 reserves.   Smektala, Michelson, Thomson, Woryna possible.

Michelson is most deserving of a Wild Card after Woffinden.

I think Hancock would have to prove himself in league speedway before he gets back in the GP's but maybe he'll get one. There is no obvious deserving rider.

It's no to an Artem Laguta Wildcard for me.

• Like 1

Personally think Hancock should call it a day in the GPs.    Hes old and should be thinking more about his family now

especially after recent events. I would hate to see him having a bad accident and being beyond repair.

11 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

If it is about the best 15 riders in the world why do you exclude Michelsen? He did more than Drabik in his GP appearances this year. He has performed better than Drabik in the Extraliga and Elitserien and is miles ahead of a horde of GP riders  in both the Polish and Swedish averages.

I hope it's Tai, Laguta, Michelsen and Drabik, but we all know that if Hancock wants it, he'll get it. 

Laguta is an interesting one, he's definitely been one of the fastest riders in the series this year and yet he finished hmm 11th? 

I think Tai and Michelsen are shoe-ins. Michelsen had a very good season and even though he had a poor Challenge, he definitely deserves it more than the likes of Bjerre, Lindback, Thomsen, Lambert etc. 

1. Zmarzlik
2. Madsen
3. Sajfutdinow
4. Lindgren
5. Vaculik
6. Janowski
7. Doyle
8. Dudek
9. Zagar
10. Iversen
11. Fricke
12. Woffinden
13. Laguta
14. Michelsen
15. Hancock/Drabik

not bad at all

Always makes me chuckle when people say 'this rider' or 'that rider' deserves to be in the series.

The only riders who deserve to be there are the 11 qualifiers.

Still, we have to go through this charade every year, so I guess Woffinden and Hancock are obvious, along with Michelsen (Euro champ) and Drabik (U21 champ.) 

• Like 2

I'd love to see the two Lagutas in... Think Grigory would be nice and controversial... Which will liven up the series some more... Artem is the best rider in the world on his day... Woffinden is obvious... Last place... Maksym Drabik, Mikkel Michelsen, Bartosz Smektala or Greg Hancock farewell (If he wants it) Think Greg is still one of the best in the world... Even with his year out

Reserves: I'd like to see Lambert get another reserve spot, but too early for a full time spot... Same goes for Chuganov...

1. Bartosz Zmarzlik

2. Leon Madsen

3. Emil Sayfutdinov

4. Fredrik Lindgren

5. Martin Vaculik

6. Maciej Janowski

7. Jason Doyle

8. Patryk Dudek

9. Matej Zagar

10. Niels Kristian Iversen

11. Max Fricke

12. Tai Woffinden

13. Artem Laguta

14. Grigory Laguta

15. Maksym Drabik/Greg Hancock/Mikkel Michelsen/Bartosz Smektala

Reserves: Robert Lambert, Gleb Chuganov, (Drabik, Michelsen, Smektala) Whichever two don't get picked full time, Anders Thomsen (Euro Champion)

Realistically... I know Greg might be a gamble... But I still think he'll finish top 8... And he's a legend... Would be nice to see him go out age 50, and with a bang

Edited by Dandelion

45 minutes ago, tarkens said:

Laguta is an interesting one, he's definitely been one of the fastest riders in the series this year and yet he finished hmm 11th? 

Not checked but I'm sure his Swedish & Polish league averages put him as one of the top 15 riders, plus a second consecutive SoN gold, but from what I've seen he's little other than a gater. If there is a gap that might get closed he doesn't go for it & simply isn't aggressive enough to compete at the very top level.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Yeah, offering a 4 time World Champion who rightfully qualified before his wife's illness sure does 'make a mockery'.

After a year out?    Gifting a wildcard now (for non speedway injury) would be a 'mockery' of the sport.

If we are going to gift wildcards to ex world champions, why not Nicki?  Yes I know that is ridiculous, but so is your argument.