British Speedway Forum
fatface

World Top 10?

One for Tony...and possible others?

I have a (very) vague recollection of Speedway Mail in the early 80s - possibly earlier? - of an annual World Top 10 unofficial rankings being printed in the Mail, provided by prominent reporters from different countries.  Naturally, there was a bit of national bias with the Polish correspondent ranking Zenon Plech higher than other national scribes, but it still made for interesting reading. So, I guess I have a few questions...

1) have I imagined this?
2) if not, please can someone dig them out for a refresh?
3) still if not, perhaps Tony can give us some background story on how they came about?

Thank you :-)

Edited by falcace

You are correct, the Mail did run an annual poll for international journos to vote for their Top 10 riders each year.

It was started by John Hyam, the de facto editor immediately after Ian MacDonald left in 1978, although I think John introduced it some years before then.

I guess he simply contacted each of the scribes by snail mail (no pun intended) and asked them to cast their vote.

58 minutes ago, tmc said:

You are correct, the Mail did run an annual poll for international journos to vote for their Top 10 riders each year.

It was started by John Hyam, the de facto editor immediately after Ian MacDonald left in 1978, although I think John introduced it some years before then.

I guess he simply contacted each of the scribes by snail mail (no pun intended) and asked them to cast their vote.

Thanks Tony. Good to know I am not going mad.

Is John Gustix? It'd be great to see those rankings again, just out of pure curiousity.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, falcace said:

Thanks Tony. Good to know I am not going mad.

Is John Gustix? It'd be great to see those rankings again, just out of pure curiousity.  

Yes that's correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years before the 'Speedway Mail' world rankings I started a similar scheme in 'Speedway Star' in the 1950s - only difference was it covered a Top 20 ratings rather than a Top 10.

Voting lists made by normal mail were from 'Speedway Star' representatives in different countries.

World Ranking lists were included in the Stenner's annuals in the 1940s and 1950s, as well as Australian, Scandinavian and divisional rankings - the latter compiled by individual contributors.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, Ruth Reddy said:

World Ranking lists were included in the Stenner's annuals in the 1940s and 1950s, as well as Australian, Scandinavian and divisional rankings - the latter compiled by individual contributors.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:39 AM, gustix said:

Many years before the 'Speedway Mail' world rankings I started a similar scheme in 'Speedway Star' in the 1950s - only difference was it covered a Top 20 ratings rather than a Top 10.

Voting lists made by normal mail were from 'Speedway Star' representatives in different countries.

Thanks very much both. It would be great to see those lists. Just out of pure curiousity. Are they on-line at all? 

I have a vague recollection that at one time these World Ranking lists were online. But it was quite a few years ago and I have no idea now where or what the source was. Possibly they were on a website that has long time become defunct.

Edited by Guest

Further to my previous comment I have a VAGUE recollection that MANY years ago Bob Andrews had a website which carried the old world ratings. 

Edited by Guest

Someone, well arnieg has compiled a list for last year and it seems they have done some previous years as well. But not sure if they are online

http://www.speedwayplus.com/

Don't work for me, Norbold

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Don't work for me, Norbold

Does for me.

26 minutes ago, norbold said:

Does for me.

Good for you. All I get is....

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1