British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Postponements

I have collated some information on rain offs this year. Who's track is wettest. And who's track is driest. These are the postponement, some may not be due to waterlogged tracks

Belle vue aces 1 and colts 1 =2 Ipswich 1 Lynn 1 Peterborough 1 Poole 2 Swinson 2 Wolves 1 Berwick 3 Birmingham 6 Eastbourne 0 Edinburgh 5 Glasgow 6 Leicester 3 and cubs 2 = 5 Newcastle 2 Redcar 2 Scunthorpe 4 Sheffield 2 Somerset 5 Cradley (@ wolves) 1 IOW 1 (challenge fixture) Kent 3 Mildenhall 1 Plymouth 8 Stoke 4

So as you can see. If your an eastbourne fan then you have least to worry about the weather. And if your birmmingham or north of the boarder then should be more worried. Birmmingham though were alot of dodgy postponements. Most of the postponements were in august with 18, june had 17 and july 10, while March had 0 surprisingly. Although not many fixtures.

Each clubs loosepney postponing matches. So how much money have clubs lost 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

I have collated some information on rain offs this year. Who's track is wettest. And who's track is driest. These are the postponement, some may not be due to waterlogged tracks

Belle vue aces 1 and colts 1 =2 Ipswich 1 Lynn 1 Peterborough 1 Poole 2 Swinson 2 Wolves 1 Berwick 3 Birmingham 6 Eastbourne 0 Edinburgh 5 Glasgow 6 Leicester 3 and cubs 2 = 5 Newcastle 2 Redcar 2 Scunthorpe 4 Sheffield 2 Somerset 5 Cradley (@ wolves) 1 IOW 1 (challenge fixture) Kent 3 Mildenhall 1 Plymouth 8 Stoke 4

So as you can see. If your an eastbourne fan then you have least to worry about the weather. And if your birmmingham or north of the boarder then should be more worried. Birmmingham though were alot of dodgy postponements. Most of the postponements were in august with 18, june had 17 and july 10, while March had 0 surprisingly. Although not many fixtures.

Each clubs loosepney postponing matches. So how much money have clubs lost 

Eastbourne being south and east means that the climate is generally dry. East Sussex has not had a huge amount of rain in the last 18 months.

Also, the position of Arlington Stadium, in the shadow of the South Downs/Beachy Head means it often misses rain that is in the vicinity.

A couple of weeks ago it poured with rain ten miles north of Arlington but it was totally dry at the stadium.

I've jinxed it now for Saturday.

4 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Eastbourne being south and east means that the climate is generally dry. East Sussex has not had a huge amount of rain in the last 18 months.

Also, the position of Arlington Stadium, in the shadow of the South Downs/Beachy Head means it often misses rain that is in the vicinity.

A couple of weeks ago it poured with rain ten miles north of Arlington but it was totally dry at the stadium.

Funny you should say that; I have been to Arlington when it was pouring down nearby, yet the track was bone dry...

Steve

Over the many years they have been tenants at Arlington Stadium aka Eastbourne I cannot recall tenants Spedeworth Motorsports ever postponing a short circuit (aka stock car) meeting because of rain.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Over the many years they have been tenants at Arlington Stadium aka Eastbourne I cannot recall tenants Spedeworth Motorsports ever postponing a short circuit (aka stock car) meeting because of rain.

I am not the most technical of people, but would you say cars are more stable with their 4 wheels on axles than the likes of a speedway bike with two wheels in a line ? I await your informed reply

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I am not the most technical of people, but would you say cars are more stable with their 4 wheels on axles than the likes of a speedway bike with two wheels in a line ? I await your informed reply

It is very unusual for a car meeting on a tarmac or concrete track to be cancelled but meetings at shale track do suffer from the weather in the same way as speedway although a heavy shower during the meeting is less likely to be a problem for the cars. 

2 hours ago, gustix said:

And, of course, the cars race on the concrete which is outside the speedway track

• Like 1

When I brought up the matter of car  meetings being postponed at Eastbourne/Arlington it was more in regard  to deterring people from travelling to  spectate rather than in regard to racing conditions.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, gustix said:

When I brought up the matter of car  meetings being postponed at Eastbourne/Arlington it was more in regard  to deterring people from travelling to  spectate rather than in regard to racing conditions.

Fair point but heavy rain doesn't deter football supporters. Suppose the difference is that there is more cover at most soccer stadiums in comparison to speedway. Cant imagine many wanting to watch anything in pouring rain at Arena Essex, for example

It would also be interesting to know how many of these were called off on the basis of a forecast and how many times the forecast was right

14 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I went to the Somerset meeting late July (only meeting on that day) and it poured all way there but I remember someone saying Eastbourne have their own Met office weather supplier and raced based on that?

Not sure how much it costs but the Meeting was a great advert and a last heat decider so well worth every penny I'd say.  

28 minutes ago, HGould said:

I went to the Somerset meeting late July (only meeting on that day) and it poured all way there but I remember someone saying Eastbourne have their own Met office weather supplier and raced based on that?

Not sure how much it costs but the Meeting was a great advert and a last heat decider so well worth every penny I'd say.  

You are right -- Eastbourne have their own forecaster--been mentioned more than once this season.

It seems the person gives really detailed location forecasts - not just a broad area. Somerset was a prime example.

By the way, Eastbourne have done a lot of last heat deciders this year.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Sheffield's 2 are the original fixture and re-staging of Newcastle!!  Couldn't be a more difficult team to re-arrange with, given they're Sundays as well.  Mind you in 2017 we had the same with Ipswich and Redcar.  Going back to Newcastle though, they were the correct decisions, it had rained solidly for about 30 hours before the original one, and it rained most of the day on the second one.  Usually we are quite lucky, as quite often it really can rain everywhere else in Sheffield apart from over the track itself. 

I don't think Plymouth's are all down to the weather, haven't they had some bother with the track??

Edited by Tigerblade

18 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

As an Arlington regular, I'm always optimistic regarding weather forecasts. I've got away with it so many times over the years, i just take it for granted.

People always say it rains the most in the nw.