British Speedway Forum
Steve55

Sheffield Tigers V Newcastle Diamonds Wednesday 11/09/19

47 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

The second - after Kyle.

chunk .but  i would put him before howarth and kurtz .

On 9/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, Big Al said:

I think Newcastle have changed their name to Newcastle Blades for this one,  Sheffield now known as Sheffield Wednesday. Should draw a good attendance.

Jesus, dont say that. If thats the case then we will be drab to watch and think we are better than we are....... 

Waiting for it.... :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Todd Kurtz is in the local press today saying he wants to be back in Sheffield's colours next season. I hope the management take note and don't make the same mistake of signing a load of untested riders  - a strategy which has given Sheffield a very long tail this season.

I dont think it will matter, if the rules stay the same then Sheffield will not be in this league next year because Sunday racing will not happen again regularly. Its been financial suicide and the racing has been poor.

The Sheffield team put together at the start of the year were favourites in many peoples predictions. Unfortunately the predicted improvement of some riders didn't happen as expected.

Dont get the calls that Kurtz should have been retained, he was not going to improve his average from last year and to be successful you need riders to do just that.

Hes pretty decent at home, however he is poor away at many tracks, always has been. Nothing against him he is good at home but having seen him away from home many times he is no better than some reserves. Now his average has dropped again since being at Somerset he could be worth a place. 

Well Sheffield win by 6 points with a 48-42 result and the Diamonds get an away point at last. Diamonds were only represented by 3 riders, after Jorgenson pulled out with 4 points after a shoulder popped out. Bjerre and Ostergaard brilliant with Steve starting well before tailing off. Sheffield with a full team with Allen being a brilliant replacement for Howarth.

• Like 1

Tonight was all the proof needed that afternoon speedway is no good for Sheffield. Having been bored all season and not enjoying a single home meeting, tonight has left me gutted the season has ended for us. Even the FTGs were closer. Bloody good meeting. Unfortunate for Newcastle, with Jorgensen withdrawing, as they looked set to win the meeting at that point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squall said:

Tonight was all the proof needed that afternoon speedway is no good for Sheffield. Having been bored all season and not enjoying a single home meeting, tonight has left me gutted the season has ended for us. Even the FTGs were closer. Bloody good meeting. Unfortunate for Newcastle, with Jorgensen withdrawing, as they looked set to win the meeting at that point.

Nothing in your post that I could disagree with. It looked like the riders had confidence in the track tonight and were giving it a real go. Much more passing than we've been used to this season and, as you say, even when there was no passing, the racing was close. I very nearly didn't attend this evening as I've been bored sh*tless by what's been on offer this season but thought I'd compare evening racing at Owlerton to afternoon racing. The verdict? If Sheffield race Sunday afternoons next year, I will not be there.If they race in the evenings, I'll buy a season ticket!!! That's a promise.

• Like 1

Decent meeting. Jorgensen cost Newcastle victory but saying that we were on  a 5-1 when Phillips decked it and then the inevitable ,the man at the back pops out in the rerun and wins !, We need some gaters in the team desperately next season we can't win titles with just exciting racers.Todd had an off night but depending on the team building averages next season could get a spot. I would love Jake Allen in the team he's one of my favourite riders and can ride any track Broc has to come back on his average.I think Kyle needs a change of scenery he's gone a bit stale last 2 seasons though he's still a good rider .I would keep Josh too he attacks the tracks away from home,just wish Zaine could score away as he's awesome to watch round Sheffield ,the race with Lasse and Jorgensen was brilliant.Good luck to the lads at the weekend it would be good to extend season.

14 hours ago, yorkshiretyke said:

Dont get the calls that Kurtz should have been retained, he was not going to improve his average from last year and to be successful you need riders to do just that.

But the fella we replaced him with (Kasper Andersen) didn't - at the time it seemed like a good move as Kasper had done really well in his couple of weeks last season and looked like he could put a couple of points on his average, but he didn't look anything like the rider of last August, this season. (At least not whilst riding for us, anyway)

Can echo other Tigers fans, the race with Zaine was worth the admission fee on its own. I too would love to see Jake Allen ride for us next year (if there is one).

Genuine questions as I'm not that up on the rule book - were Lasse and Ulrich allowed 7 rides as they were already using R/R?  Also could Jorgensen not be covered by IRR as A) the Diamonds were already using R/R or  B ) it was a recurring injury?  Like I said, genuine questions, it's obviously allowed otherwise Mr. English wouldn't have done it!   As it happened, Jorgensen dropping out was the turning point of the meeting. 

• Like 1

Just out of interest, and with good reports on last nights racing..

Couldn't Tigers run on a Wednesday night next season?

(If rules and regulations were to stay the same)

31 minutes ago, Tigerblade said:

Genuine questions as I'm not that up on the rule book - were Lasse and Ulrich allowed 7 rides as they were already using R/R?  Also could Jorgensen not be covered by IRR as A) the Diamonds were already using R/R or  B ) it was a recurring injury?  Like I said, genuine questions, it's obviously allowed otherwise Mr. English wouldn't have done it!   As it happened, Jorgensen dropping out was the turning point of the meeting. 

As much as I know, Bjerre was entitled to 4 programmed rides, a r/r, a TS and a nominated race, so yes,,, Ully as a reserve can take 7 rides.

Not sure about IRR, as TJ had taken part in 3 rides/completed races, (whether or not programmed),,, so not sure what's the ruling is on that.

• Thanks 1

Last night showed the folly of afternoon racing - no problems with track drying out and far better racing as a result.

Sheffield had the meeting sewn up after heat 4 and should have killed it off, but poor gating and silly mistakes let the visitors back in. Despite finishing the meeting with only three effective riders (only two of whom made any decent contribution after heat 6), Newcastle were gifted a league point. I bet they can't believe their luck.

quote "Not sure about IRR, as TJ had taken part in 3 rides/completed races, (whether or not programmed),,, so not sure what's the ruling is on that."

IRR is applied if rider has not taken part/completed 3 rides. His 4th ride can only be taken by a reserve( or TS if available)

Edited by IronScorpion

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

As much as I know, Bjerre was entitled to 4 programmed rides, a r/r, a TS and a nominated race, so yes,,, Ully as a reserve can take 7 rides.

Not sure about IRR, as TJ had taken part in 3 rides/completed races, (whether or not programmed),,, so not sure what's the ruling is on that.

19 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

quote "Not sure about IRR, as TJ had taken part in 3 rides/completed races, (whether or not programmed),,, so not sure what's the ruling is on that."

IRR is applied if rider has not taken part/completed 3 rides. His 4th ride can only be taken by a reserve( or TS if available)

Thank you for your replies.  I wasn't suggesting for a second it wasn't legal, just a bit of clarification that it was because of R/R etc. 

All the IRRs I have seen previously must have been withdrawals after 2 races or less!