British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

Potters have sold their stadium and will see out this season on Saturday but then that’s it. Stoke may have got their fair share of criticism but it’s still a sad day to lose a British Speedway club. 

• Sad 3

Another one bites the dust.

Bit by bit. Just a matter of time.

That's a real shame.  Obviously have some vivid memories of our time there in 96 along with fainter ones from previous trips to watch the Potters (including I think with a very young Jason Crump in opposition).  Visited for the NL fours recently and enjoyed the evening, it has its charms the old place - I'm still a sucker for a big grass bank to watch speedway on

Thoughts with the Potters fans

• Like 1

That implies it has been sold for development and not to a Stock Car Promoter as all seems very final?

Sad but i fear won't be the last this winter.

• Sad 1

Gutted for the Stoke supporters...

Personally, I gave up on Stoke a long time ago.... complete dissatisfaction with the promoters

Bloody hell, not another one.  Coventry, Workington, Buxton, Stoke and Peterborough in the future, what on earth is happening.

I feel so sorry for everyone connected with all of these clubs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Bloody hell, not another one.  Coventry, Workington, Buxton, Stoke and Peterborough in the future, what on earth is happening.

Don't forget Lakeside and Rye from my neck of the woods.

Speedway tracks falling faster than snow in Sussex. 

Feel for the fans and in particular Porky Potter who has done his best to publicise the club on here.

Also worried that another respected forum member suggests Stoke will not be the last.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

"What in earth is happening?"

Years and years of promoters ignoring the feedback from disenfranchised and disillusioned fans is 'happening' so British Speedway continues to reap what it has sowed..

Be interesting to see if those left finally change a wholly unfit for purpose operating model before any more tracks close...?

Somehow I doubt it as surely they would have done so over the last decade or so, when it was clear year on year it wasn't working...

4 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Looks as if we'll be having the most important Promoters' congress since the last one.

Helmet colour changes will be a priority I would imagine..

And also what biscuits will be available to have with their tea and coffee..

• Like 1