British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

As stadiums deteriorate with age it will be cheaper to sell off and profit from the land.

The crowd levels cannot demand the continuation of the sport at many venues.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Sounds ominous for Startrax. Could be losing 2 tracks.!!! I thought the sport was in a better position than speedway from one or two. And 1 million for such a site does seem a little naieve,no?

Speedway, stock car and greyhound racing are all cloth cap sports in the decline. As the crowds fall and the revenue shrinks, more stadiums will become vulnerable to the developers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GWC said:

As stadiums deteriorate with age it will be cheaper to sell off and profit from the land.

The crowd levels cannot demand the continuation of the sport at many venues.

Especially in this age of creature comforts and strict health and safety guidelines.

I would watch speedway racing from a grass verge as long as it had proper rules. Apart from the track, proper rules and foundations of the sport are the main importance. You wouldn't even play a board game if the rules of the game were as flimsy as this sport. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So Belle Vue next???

The 'National Stadium' that was going to be the pearl of British speedway?

This will send shivers down the rest of the British speedway.

No the old one next door

Edited by Tracy Bird

1 minute ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

So Belle Vue next???

The 'National Stadium' that was going to be the pearl of British speedway?

This will send shivers down the rest of the British speedway.

NOT the National Speedway Stadium where the Belle Vue speedway teams are based. It's the old Belle Vue Stadium 'next door' currently staging short circuit cars and I think (not sure} greyhound racing.

Gutted about Stoke. I always say i will go to watch them or Sheffield with them being the nearest ones to me after BV. Always got put off going by too much live Sport on tv. Now i am too late with 1 of them. I really hope no more Clubs stop going.

Sad that it might be the end of the Kirky Lane stadium, the saviour of speedway in Manchester after Hyde Road's demise. But whatever you do, who is ever in charge, do not allow Stockcars in at the NSS.

9 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Sad that it might be the end of the Kirky Lane stadium, the saviour of speedway in Manchester after Hyde Road's demise. But whatever you do, who is ever in charge, do not allow Stockcars in at the NSS.

Why not? Isn't the actual stadium owners the council? And if their ratepayers who are also car fans insist this happens how can they be denied?

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

Why not? Isn't the actual stadium owners the council? And if their ratepayers who are also car fans insist this happens how can they be denied?

They'll be denied by the hockey pitch on the infield. Even the bikes are not allowed anywhere near it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

4G Football/American Football pitch in the middle of the track will prevent stox I would think..

Costs a fortune to put one of those in so they won't want 20 F1 stox potentially ripping it  up...

33 minutes ago, gustix said:

NOT the National Speedway Stadium where the Belle Vue speedway teams are based. It's the old Belle Vue Stadium 'next door' currently staging short circuit cars and I think (not sure} greyhound racing.

My mistake. Wasn't clear in the press release. I know they dont get big crowds but hoped it wasn't that bad!

19 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

My mistake. Wasn't clear in the press release. I know they dont get big crowds but hoped it wasn't that bad!

Stox get circa 4000 at the old track, around 10 times a season, so get at least as many, and probably more fans over a season than the Speedway at the NSS..

Losing both Stoke and BV will be a huge blow to the sport..

And may have an impact on Sheffield looking at the press release.. (?)

Will 11 Stock Car meetings mean the Speedway gets restricted time on a Sunday?

Again, more fans will attend the Stox each meeting than attend each Speedway match so more money to be gained from food and drink etc for the owners....

Edited by mikebv

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Maybe there could be a revival at Buxton.

If only they had flood lights and could run on a Saturday evening. Or maybe a 5pm start?