British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

6 hours ago, montie said:

to be fair with the money involved in development these days far out weighs anything a promotor can do

if 5000 folk turned up you still wont match the cash available from developers

But having a fan base like that would help any application for being allowed to move elsewhere within the same area...

Sadly as it stands now, it would be difficult at most venues to make out to the local councils that the loss of them would have a huge impact on too many people...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

words fail me.so so sorry for all of the stoke fans and management.yet another club that brought me many memories as mentioned down the years is soon set to join the list of defunct tracks.it is not just because of the sport itself, there are many other factors contributing to the sports demise.i am part way through an excellent book at the moment ,that being dave mortons autobiography and he mentions that crewe folded with crowds around 2000 so it brings things into perspective.estimated crowd at sheffield for the c.l.r.c around 1500.not good.times and things have also changed.apart from the old stalwarts like us who aren't getting any younger there are not enough youngsters watching the sport because of other interests.i feel for the stoke fans and truly believe that you won't be the last.the powers that be that show the sport on t.v only seem to be interested in the top league and g.p,s with no lower league racing shown so the championship and d.league don't get any coverage,yes angel pearson does sometimes mention where to watch the championship but its not like actually seeing the sport at the venues.i hope that no more clubs fold but am not holding my breath.

• Like 1

nigel

1 minute ago, Moranboys said:

words fail me.so so sorry for all of the stoke fans and management.yet another club that brought me many memories as mentioned down the years is soon set to join the list of defunct tracks.it is not just because of the sport itself, there are many other factors contributing to the sports demise.i am part way through an excellent book at the moment ,that being dave mortons autobiography and he mentions that crewe folded with crowds around 2000 so it brings things into perspective.estimated crowd at sheffield for the c.l.r.c around 1500.not good.times and things have also changed.apart from the old stalwarts like us who aren't getting any younger there are not enough youngsters watching the sport because of other interests.i feel for the stoke fans and truly believe that you won't be the last.the powers that be that show the sport on t.v only seem to be interested in the top league and g.p,s with no lower league racing shown so the championship and d.league don't get any coverage,yes angel pearson does sometimes mention where to watch the championship but its not like actually seeing the sport at the venues.i hope that no more clubs fold but am not holding my breath.

nigel lol.don,t think he's any angel!

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

But of football grounds I have visited in London , Millwall, Wimbledon, Dulwich, Kingstonians, Tooting and Mitcham, Arsenal, Fisher Athletic just off the top of my head have all moved. Although Dulwich has a new ground built on the same site

Blimey done all those myself. Plus Upton park and rubbishe hart lane,If you want to stretch the london boundaries a bit Erith and Beleverdere as well. Just off the top of my head.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

I was just thinking the same - there is  a football web site where you can put all the grounds you have been to (both old and current) and it produces a map showing you where you've been and other stats such as how many grounds have been knocked down.

When i completed it, it turned out 38/80 footie teams i had seen at their home ground had moved to a new stadium, almost 50%. Compare that with the number of Speedway Tracks who are still operating/have defunct stadia ; in my first season (1980) there were 37 league sides; 17 teams are now defunct, 8 are still racing but in a different stadium and only 12 are still at the same track as 40 years ago. 

So in summary, just over 2/3 of supporters have lost their 'home' although around 1/5 have a new home track. The point (yes there is one) is that this is close to the football average so enclosed/semi enclosed stadia it appears do have a natural shelf life before redevelopment looms.

Maybe any Rugby/Speedway fans could comment if the same is true of their other favourite sport

Do you have a link, would love to have a go myself, some awesome little grounds I ve done following non league football over the years.

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

But having a fan base like that would help any application for being allowed to move elsewhere within the same area...

Sadly as it stands now, it would be difficult at most venues to make out to the local councils that the loss of them would have a huge impact on too many people...

Even more  difficult to explain to a council the actual local fan base and how many attending a stadium were away supporters. That from a probable basic average 1,000 for a meeting.

9 hours ago, Andy Downes said:

I was just thinking the same - there is  a football web site where you can put all the grounds you have been to (both old and current) and it produces a map showing you where you've been and other stats such as how many grounds have been knocked down.

When i completed it, it turned out 38/80 footie teams i had seen at their home ground had moved to a new stadium, almost 50%. Compare that with the number of Speedway Tracks who are still operating/have defunct stadia ; in my first season (1980) there were 37 league sides; 17 teams are now defunct, 8 are still racing but in a different stadium and only 12 are still at the same track as 40 years ago. 

So in summary, just over 2/3 of supporters have lost their 'home' although around 1/5 have a new home track. The point (yes there is one) is that this is close to the football average so enclosed/semi enclosed stadia it appears do have a natural shelf life before redevelopment looms.

Maybe any Rugby/Speedway fans could comment if the same is true of their other favourite sport

Do you have a link, would love to have a go myself, some awesome little grounds I ve done following non league football over the years.

Enjoy

https://www.footballgroundmap.com/

be nice if someone more technically minded could do a speedway one ...

12 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, adonis said:

Difference is Bury and Oldham will both be back .  bailed out by the gov't or local council as football always is .

Possibly or they reform and apply to join non league and work their way back up the pyramid as other clubs have done., Either way there is a way back unlike the numerous ex speedway clubs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Blimey done all those myself. Plus Upton park and rubbishe hart lane,If you want to stretch the london boundaries a bit Erith and Beleverdere as well. Just off the top of my head.

Oh yes, forgot the Irons and was just at the new Spurs ground a few weeks back. First ever proper match I attended was at the old WHL and a great place it was

22 hours ago, Longsufferingpotter said:

Correct. Macc have been tipped as the next EFL club to fold.

That would be a personal double whammy. I'm not only a Potters supporter but also a Silkmen fan.

A couple of friends of mine follow Port Vale and I went along to the game with them at Macc last season, a nice ground and a great set of fans, even the Vale fans were rooting for you to stay up last season, I remember when you were in non league and won the northern premier in a canter beating us Ashton United 5-0 at our place, Macc played some great football, hope the rumours are just rumours.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, adonis said:

At least one person will be over the moon at the announcement . Mark Robinson , that idiot has been wishing it to close for years ,

Wrong, He didnt like the way the track was prepared, he didnt like the regular power cuts, but he has never wished to see any track closed, in fact he has suggested had either of the promoters requested a ACV be put on the track once it was known it was for sale, the current situation may have been avoided.

11 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

Wrong, He didnt like the way the track was prepared, he didnt like the regular power cuts, but he has never wished to see any track closed, in fact he has suggested had either of the promoters requested a ACV be put on the track once it was known it was for sale, the current situation may have been avoided.

Messrs  Robinson & Geary a right pair of "nutcases".  Neither are worthy of the time it takes to read one of their posts .IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

Messrs  Robinson & Geary a right pair of "nutcases".  Neither are worthy of the time it takes to read one of their posts .IMO

I'd rather be a nutcase ,than an arse licking toady like you