British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

My last comment on Mark Robinson, whilst he may not have the best use of the written word and i may not agree with everything he posts, I count on him as a very good friend, he wants the best for Speedway in the Uk, though some of his ideas are impractible and financially impossible make no mistake there is nothing more than he would like to see than all three UK Leagues to be succesful, and riders to ride on well prepared tracks which is after all nowt more than what they deserve, and for spectators to be treated with respect rather than most Promoters treating us like a bit of dog dirt on our shoes..

5 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

My last comment on Mark Robinson, whilst he may not have the best use of the written word and i may not agree with everything he posts, I count on him as a very good friend, he wants the best for Speedway in the Uk, though some of his ideas are impractible and financially impossible make no mistake there is nothing more than he would like to see than all three UK Leagues to be succesful, and riders to ride on well prepared tracks which is after all nowt more than what they deserve, and for spectators to be treated with respect rather than most Promoters treating us like a bit of dog dirt on our shoes..

As do all speedway fans , difference is , most of them dont go raving ,  that everything ( including teams closing because their stadiums have been sold out from under them ) is the fault of promoters .

There will be a chance to see the Potters again on 5th Oct at Leicester for the second leg of the k.o. cup semi final.

Edited by Happy Hunter
Correct spelling.

55 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

There will be a chance to see the Potters again on 5th Oct at Leicester for the second leg of the k.o. cup semi final.

What'll happen in the final if Stoke wins the semi final? Can they hold the home leg at a neutral venue?

Edited by False dawn

On Midlands Today the closure of the stadium got a mention.

8 hours ago, False dawn said:

What'll happen in the final if Stoke wins the semi final? Can they hold the home leg at a neutral venue?

If they overturn the deficit then they deserve to be given the whole cup!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well the journey from Ipswich was well worth it. We saw some fantastic racing on a well prepared track in front of a big crowd 

my sympathies to the potters fans who have lost their club. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Well the journey from Ipswich was well worth it. We saw some fantastic racing on a well prepared track in front of a big crowd 

my sympathies to the potters fans who have lost their club. 

Glad it was well supported, such a shame. Being the eternal optimist I hope it's not the end but fear the worst.

I am sure this has asked before but can Stoke Speedway not move it's promotion to Buxton, maybe need a name change but at least speedway would continue in that part of the Country and I think I am right in saying the track at Buxton has been used during the summer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screm said:

I am sure this has asked before but can Stoke Speedway not move it's promotion to Buxton, maybe need a name change but at least speedway would continue in that part of the Country and I think I am right in saying the track at Buxton has been used during the summer

I am sure a move to Buxton will go ahead straight away if you underwrite the move with say £250000. Just ask all the other National League promoters that pay over the odds and killed Buxton for a donation!!!!!!!

It was a very strange experience at Stoke last evening. As a (temporary) Leicester fan I always want my side to do well and their win was well fought and I believe, deserved. But there was always that feeling that these were the last ever heats to be raced on this excellent raceway. And I almost wanted the home side to do well, particularly those riders with a long association with the club. A going concern, cut down, maybe not in it's prime but still operating at a sustainable level. You can only come away from such meetings with a sense of loss, not just for the club itself, but for the sport in general. 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, foamfence said:

I agree with that but it would mean reverting to one league and initially a lower standard of rider, fine by me but every time anyone suggests it on here they get shouted down.

It's get shouted down because putting the standard down  is one of the main problems speedway has and why crowds have drop and stadiums are shutting down ..of course when this happens the answer is the lower  the standard again .

The same old people who reckon 7 juniors on a sat night with no guests is somehow the way forward ..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, False dawn said:

It was a very strange experience at Stoke last evening. As a (temporary) Leicester fan I always want my side to do well and their win was well fought and I believe, deserved. But there was always that feeling that these were the last ever heats to be raced on this excellent raceway. And I almost wanted the home side to do well, particularly those riders with a long association with the club. A going concern, cut down, maybe not in it's prime but still operating at a sustainable level. You can only come away from such meetings with a sense of loss, not just for the club itself, but for the sport in general. 

How has Hume performed this year False dawn?? no injuries which is great the odd fall here and there but overall what do you think.??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, orion said:

It's get shouted down because putting the standard down  is one of the main problems speedway has and why crowds have drop and stadiums are shutting down ..of course when this happens the answer is the lower  the standard again .

The same old people who reckon 7 juniors on a sat night with no guests is somehow the way forward ..

If you can't afford caviar you get scraps at the chip oyle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, orion said:

The way forward is to run to a budget and keep the costs down apart from Doyle,Iversen,Lambert, Fricke, our top two league's are pretty even.Speedway is about putting on a show and i have seen national league meeting's that are just as exciting as the Premiership.It is a MYTH about the top stars bringing in the crowds it doesn't for me Speedway is about a good night out and all levels can give you that.

• Like 4