British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Its certainly difficult to justify running another team in another league and charging a lower admission as a sensible business model as it could be seen a threat to the original team. That said i feel a NL side running on a weekend afternoon would bring in enough to make the venture successful and sustainable. Perhaps a link up with Reading to reintroduce the Racers as the Junior side could be possible? I think the track shape and standard at NL level would provide an excellent level of entertainment.

22 minutes ago, arnieg said:

That tends to be the worst of both worlds (see Coventry at Leicester last year for example).

Too far for more than a handful of Reading fans to travel, but not attractive to Swindon fans as the team is badged as Reading.

Neatly summarised IMO. But these sort of things repeatedly happen in speedway and most probably will continue in the future.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Neatly summarised IMO. But these sort of things repeatedly happen in speedway and most probably will continue in the future.

Maybe so but with the BSPA's insistence that the homeless satellite teams from the MSDL either find permanent homes soon or show they are actively seeking tracks there will likely be no future. Its pretty clear to all how rare and difficult it is to open a new track (simple comparisons of new tracks opened vs venues closed) so without help the volunteers who work tirelessly to keep defunct team names going whilst offering valuable track time to rising riders at great personal cost to themselves will be lost to the sport and its game over. If the grassroots leagues dont exist the sport will be dead in under 5 years.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

You are deluded Swindon up until the playoffs will barely break even, does a sponsor help to pay for Jason ??? The club have made great strides this year under Rosco/ and Lee Kilby and the crowds have been generally very good but there has been a few weeks when they have been  lower than they have deserved to be .The NL fixture was a huge disappointment gate wise and people are picking and choosing there meeting's more nowadays but yes you are right the club are going in the right direction.

What is deluded ? what is untrue ...Crowds have drop as the standard has ? clubs  closed every year ?  the plan is to cut the standard again the same plan as the last 15 years ? The problem with speedway is never thinks about how they will make crowds bigger its always been how many fans will can we hold on to .

If Swindon are barely breaking even I would say that doing pretty well seeing most clubs are losing money .

2 hours ago, orion said:

What is deluded ? what is untrue ...Crowds have drop as the standard has ? clubs  closed every year ?  the plan is to cut the standard again the same plan as the last 15 years ? The problem with speedway is never thinks about how they will make crowds bigger its always been how many fans will can we hold on to .

If Swindon are barely breaking even I would say that doing pretty well seeing most clubs are losing money .

You keep saying the standard has dropped i would say the Premiership level is as good as it has been for a while.Seeing Douglas/ Becker at reserve shows you that the level is not that bad.You think by bringing in the top stars that would rectify the problems i think not i would rather each club live within there means and keep the club's afloat.

The SGB website carries this item re Stoke in its Weekly Round-up section:

STOKE 
“It was strange in the pits tonight before the meeting it was like we’d come to a funeral; well we have in some ways, haven’t we? It’s really sad to see this old place go, but we’ve given the club and stadium a good send-off and I’m sure the packed crowd in here tonight enjoyed the racing and it shows there is support for speedway in this area.”
Potters boss Adam Isherwood summed up the emotion at Loomer Road on Saturday as the club raced their final home meeting at the venue – with the sale having only been announced in the preceding days.
NEXT AWAY: Leicester (KOC), Sat Oct 5 (7.30)

I am slightly puzzled in regard to the attendance for the final speedway meeting. The SGB site comment talks of a 'good attendance' but I understood from previous Posts - albeit sadly - that it was just 150 spectators!

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, gustix said:

STOKE 
“It was strange in the pits tonight before the meeting it was like we’d come to a funeral; well we have in some ways, haven’t we? It’s really sad to see this old place go, but we’ve given the club and stadium a good send-off and I’m sure the packed crowd in here tonight enjoyed the racing and it shows there is support for speedway in this area.”
Potters boss Adam Isherwood summed up the emotion at Loomer Road on Saturday as the club raced their final home meeting at the venue – with the sale having only been announced in the preceding days.
NEXT AWAY: Leicester (KOC), Sat Oct 5 (7.30)

I am slightly puzzled in regard to the attendance for the final speedway meeting. The SGB site comment talks of a 'good attendance' but I understood from previous Posts - albeit sadly - that it was just 150 spectators!

150 was an estimate for the previous meeting. (I can't speak to its accuracy but it sounds plausible to me.)

The farewell meeting was probably in the region of 1000 (a very rough estimate on my part)

FORWARDED MESSAGE:

Helsby & District Junior Grass Track Club proudly present 'THE SHALE SHAKEDOWN' , Sunday, September 29, 2019, at Stoke Speedway Stadium. Practice 11.30am, racing 12.45pm. Admission £7.50, U13 FREE. All youth grass track classes, Adult solo MX, 500cc sidecars, Quads.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, arnieg said:

150 was an estimate for the previous meeting. (I can't speak to its accuracy but it sounds plausible to me.)

The farewell meeting was probably in the region of 1000 (a very rough estimate on my part)

think you are about right there arnie. I have not seen a crowd like that since the old premiere league days. just a shame a few more did not turn up for the rest of the season not that it would have changed the outcome.

15 hours ago, gustix said:

Not sure what planet you're on with that one.  Estimates I've seen ranged wildly from 800 to 2,000.  But no one as confused as you with your figure.    I'd say 1,000 is about right.

One thing did disappoint me though.   That is that skipper Tom Perry didn't bother to put in an appearance to say farewell.

I know he couldn't ride due to some mystery non-speedway injury, and we had Jack Smith as a guest, but there was nothing stopping Tom popping along to support his teammates in the pits and say farewell to the fans on the mic.   Doesn't he live quite close to Stoke?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Not sure what planet you're on with that one.  Estimates I've seen ranged wildly from 800 to 2,000.  But no one as confused as you with your figure.    I'd say 1,000 is about right.

One thing did disappoint me though.   That is that skipper Tom Perry didn't bother to put in an appearance to say farewell.

I know he couldn't ride due to some mystery non-speedway injury, and we had Jack Smith as a guest, but there was nothing stopping Tom popping along to support his teammates in the pits and say farewell to the fans on the mic.   Doesn't he live quite close to Stoke?

I saw on Facebook he is on holiday. When he left I don’t know but that could be the cause of his absence 

32 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I saw on Facebook he is on holiday. When he left I don’t know but that could be the cause of his absence 

Not the first time this season his injuries have flared up around the time he was having a holiday. He must be so unlucky having all his breaks away hampered by being injured.:D

16 hours ago, gustix said:

STOKE 
“... and I’m sure the packed crowd in here tonight enjoyed the racing and it shows there is support for speedway in this area.”

16 hours ago, arnieg said:

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

A little late with your criticism PotteringAround as you will see from preceding quotes. The error regarding the attendance was brought to my attention and corrected.

2 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Totally agree. Perry had a booked holiday and was posting beach photos. I would’ve thought Stoke could’ve invited several past riders as well to come and say farewell to the club and fans but obviously not. 

27 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Totally agree. Perry had a booked holiday and was posting beach photos. I would’ve thought Stoke could’ve invited several past riders as well to come and say farewell to the club and fans but obviously not. 

There were Plenty of Former Riders there Islander I personally spoke to Robbie Kessler Neil and Les Collins Neil Evitts Chris Turner  Mike Wilding  Steve Sant Frank Smith Stuart Cope and I was only in the Pits doing My Job so don`t know how many others were  in the Crowd.

2 hours ago, griffo said:

There were Plenty of Former Riders there Islander I personally spoke to Robbie Kessler Neil and Les Collins Neil Evitts Chris Turner  Mike Wilding  Steve Sant Frank Smith Stuart Cope and I was only in the Pits doing My Job so don`t know how many others were  in the Crowd.

None from the recent times then and tbf this wasn’t advertised. So they could have come along for the last meeting of their own accord or been invited, you don’t know.