British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

4 hours ago, Islander15 said:

None from the recent times then and tbf this wasn’t advertised. So they could have come along for the last meeting of their own accord or been invited, you don’t know. 

Former Potter Chris Widman was there in the crowd.

• Like 1

Well just like to say i am very sorry for the loss of the Potters just like my own Gunners  and the Kings we  will never sadly see the the likes of them again ,they were all IMO  victims of a changing world and culture .There are things the sport can do but I do feel in this day and age many extenal things have/ are conspiring against  it and there has never been  the robust support that football and alike have enjoyed from outside parties   but has  been seen as a blight and antisocial activity by non followers .

I think that the NSS will be the last pupose built track in this country and the best we can hope for is that demise of the remaining tracks can be avoided for as long as posssible !

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 2

How some tracks survive with such a small fan base is a miracle in itself. I was at Peterborough on Tuesday for a top flight meeting that attracted a sparse crowd. These are difficult times for the sport.

Didn't know about this until I got the Star this morning, very sad news indeed for those who's club it was, we have lost a lot of good clubs with long history's over the last decade or two.

Stoke to me were always about the likes of Eric Monaghan and Nigel Crabtree, we (Arena Essex) had some good tussles with the Potters back in the old National League days.

22 hours ago, Islander15 said:

None from the recent times then and tbf this wasn’t advertised. So they could have come along for the last meeting of their own accord or been invited, you don’t know. 

Don`t think any were Invited think they just saw the fact that Stoke was closing and came along on their own accord, so there might have been some in the Crowd I also saw at least 4 Referees paying a visit for the Last time.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, adonis said:

Even if they had any money to spend . even at £10 a point  90 points is £900  out of the takings . then pay a ref ,stadium rent . ambulance ,insurance . equipment ,shale , and maintenance .doesn't leave a lot of change on gates of 150

There is also on top of your list BSPA admin fees, SCB track and official fees. You are right, not much change on gates of 150 and just in case anyone is wondering about your 90 points, you have to pay your riders for the equivalent away fixture and of course travel to both.  

4 hours ago, griffo said:

Don`t think any were Invited think they just saw the fact that Stoke was closing and came along on their own accord, so there might have been some in the Crowd I also saw at least 4 Referees paying a visit for the Last time.

Yes they were.  I was there when some of the calls were made.

We will invite riders like Mike Broadbanks, Eric Monaghan, Nigel Crabtree and Paul Pickering who was a major part of our time here along with Mark ‘Buzz’ Burrows, Garry Stead and any former rider that has ever rode for the club please do get in touch with me or via email through the website, and lets us know if you can attend and we will have a real good night.

Same as for the end of season do.

Edited by Gary67
edit
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gary67 said:

Yes they were.  I was there when some of the calls were made.

Same as for the end of season do.

Don`t know if any of them came as I witnessed none of them and would have thought if they had they would have been on the Centre at sometime or other and none certainly came into the Pits. Nigel was definitely not there I believe he was working in Belgium. But still a Great Night and Send Off.

Sad to see the closure of any track especially one that has had good memories for so many visiting fans from up and down the country over the years.

My favourite memory of visiting when Peterborough was there was in the late 80s for a late October lge meeting, after a drink in the bar before travelling home we all came out to see Craig Hodgson lying on his transports bonnet licking the frosted windscreen as being from aussie he had never ever seen anything like frost before. 

Edited by scoobydoo