British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Stoke closing down

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

"What in earth is happening?"

Years and years of promoters ignoring the feedback from disenfranchised and disillusioned fans is 'happening' so British Speedway continues to reap what it has sowed..

Be interesting to see if those left finally change a wholly unfit for purpose operating model before any more tracks close...?

Somehow I doubt it as surely they would have done so over the last decade or so, when it was clear year on year it wasn't working...

What would you suggest, you have the best track there's ever been in this country and still it has pathetic crowds?

• Like 3

Sad times especially for the Stoke fans, but giving the standing of speedway these days its probably no surprise.

42 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Bloody hell, not another one.  Coventry, Workington, Buxton, Stoke and Peterborough in the future, what on earth is happening.

I feel so sorry for everyone connected with all of these clubs. 

You can probably add cradley to that list by the sounds of things .

Belle Vue's Hyde Road was bulldozed for car auctions. Sometimes, outside forces can influence things. Perhaps Stoke's closure isn't entirely the sport's fault. But it shows again, you can follow a team loyally for decades and this happens. Speedway is so cruel and its existence hangs by a thread. Sort it out, promoters. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Run it like a proper team sport with credibility?

Run it to a budget that makes it sustainable for you rather than reflecting the costs your employees stump up?

Run it on nights when your customers tell you they can get there, not when your employees tell you they can get there.?

Stop sharing employees who see you as the lowest paying employer out of the three they have..?

Set an admission fee reflective of what you offer to the public, not one which needs to try and cover ridiculous salary levels which are far in excess of what a sport with such a poor following can ever hope to maintain.. ?

A few starters for ten...

I agree with that but it would mean reverting to one league and initially a lower standard of rider, fine by me but every time anyone suggests it on here they get shouted down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Belle Vue's Hyde Road was bulldozed for car auctions. Sometimes outside forces influence things. Perhaps Stoke's closure isn't entirely the sport's fault. You can follow a team loyally for decades and yet this happens. Speedway is so cruel and its existence hangs by a thread. Sort it out, promoters. 

And the man who looked to be it's saviour turned out to be the reaper.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I agree with that but it would mean reverting to one league and initially a lower standard of rider, fine by me but every time anyone suggests it on here they get shouted down.

yes but the shouters will have to face facts sooner or later

• Like 2

I loved the sport up until about 2006. Things became kind of fake. It was no longer a case of turning up at a track to follow a team of riders you had a kinship with. It was like turning up to help support some guys to ride bikes and pay their mortgage. They needed three clubs in this country and perhaps one abroad to keep busy. The riders ran the show. Promoters were too weak to resist. Now we have an unrecognizable sport than even 15 years ago. That is where the problem lies. You used to finish the season with near enough the same seven you began with, give or take. If promoters don't see this, there is no future.

• Like 4

The sport is run for the benefit of the riders, not the fans. What we want does not matter, we are just an irritant to the promoters. In the end there will be no fans left, just empty stadiums.

• Like 5

STATEMENT RE CHESTERTON STADIUM

Startrax have been advised at 2.30.pm today by Dave Tattum that the freehold for Chesterton Stadium has been sold with immediate effect and advised that racing will cease by 31st October this year with a period to the year end for removal of equipment. However, we have been granted an extension to enable the early November BriSCA F1 Stock Car event to take place which will be the last ever event for motorsport at Loomer Road, to be staged.

We do not have the full details as to whom has bought the stadium and at this stage or plans for it for the future. Dave has only been advised in the last 24 hours of the decision and has now informed ourselves. We are unaware of any planning applications submitted for the stadium at this present time.

Whilst at this point we are still coming to terms with the announcement, it has been no secret by ourselves for a number of years, that the freehold for the site has been for sale for redevelopment. We have also stated that racing was allowed to continue there as goodwill rather than just flatten the site until such point in time it was sold.

Indeed in the past we ourselves offered £1m for the site however the valuation was much higher. There was always an inevitability that it would be sold, now that has happened. 

We are currently looking at options and indeed we plan to stage probably two additional events at Loomer Road in October to ensure it least gets a proper farewell.
However, the last event WILL be the first Saturday in November. The Potters final match will be this coming Saturday, 14th September.

Whilst the future of Belle Vue also hangs in the balance, we will be relocating in 2020 fixtures to Sheffield as part of an overall planned 11 date season to discuss in coming weeks with the stadium management

There is obvious sadness at the loss which is also a major blow for Stoke Potters Speedway with both sports being at the stadium since it was built and opened in 1973. Regrettably, we have no jurisdiction over it's destiny and ownership.

REMAINING DATES AT STOKE

SATURDAY 21st SEPTEMBER

SATURDAY 5th OCTOBER

PROV EXTRA DATE SATURDAY 12th OCTOBER

SATURDAY 19th OCTOBER

PROV EXTRA DATE SATURDAY 26th OCTOBER

GRAND FAREWELL MEETING - SATURDAY 2nd NOVEMBER BriSCA F1 /MINISTOX/V8 GRAND FAREWELL

E/OE 10th September 2019

Very sad to see my local track go. I don’t think there’s the fan base or the desire to start somewhere else. Speedway in the U.K. is like the best cake ever, but someone’s iced it with rubbish. I fear the worst for remaining clubs.

Sounds ominous for Startrax. Could be losing 2 tracks.!!! I thought the sport was in a better position than speedway from one or two. And 1 million for such a site does seem a little naieve,no?

15 minutes ago, trophykid said:

Very sad to see my local track go. I don’t think there’s the fan base or the desire to start somewhere else. Speedway in the U.K. is like the best cake ever, but someone’s iced it with rubbish. I fear the worst for remaining clubs.

Maybe there could be a revival at Buxton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

Maybe those who shout this down would prefer a no league structure over a one league structure?

The one positive of all these tracks closing over the past three years is that eventually we will get one league and a supply of riders that exceeds demand as places will be scarce.

Meaning salaries will start to reflect the sports' actual level not the fantasy level it seems to try and pretend it is at..

No need for guests either when so many subs are sat waiting for their chance..

Survival of the fittest always includes a cull of the weakest for the species to survive, strengthen, and evolve..

Let's hope there's enough of the fittest left to move it forward..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4