British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway since 1928

How many speedway clubs/tracks have there been in Britain since the sport started here in February 1928? How does an overall list of those operating now compare?

If the tracks shown in this Link are correct it indicates that London has lost more tracks than are currently operating. The overall national list must be very large?

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/board/44/london-tracks-1928

Edited by Guest
updated

Oh great ~ just what we needed ~ another negative topic.

Why don't you have a cup of tea and then take a walk outside in the sunshine, listen to the birds singing and relax.  :D

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gustix said:

How many speedway clubs/tracks have there been in Britain since the sport started here in February 1928? How does an overall list of those operating now compare?

If the tracks shown in this Link are correct it indicates that London has lost more tracks than are currently operating. The overall national list must be very large?

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/board/44/london-tracks-1928

Per retro speedway 84 venues shut in 70 years.

4 hours ago, Gemini said:

Oh great ~ just what we needed ~ another negative topic.

Why don't you have a cup of tea and then take a walk outside in the sunshine, listen to the birds singing and relax.  :D

You don’t have to read the topic if it doesn’t interest you.Some people might find it interesting.

• Like 1

Okay fair enough. I just get fed up with the continual negative posts about speedway from gustix who probably last went to a meeting in the 1930's.  We all know the sport has lost umpteen tracks over the years and I notice he has changed  the wording on the original post, which is what I saw 9 hours ago and you probably didn't, so it now reads completely differently  to what it did before and what I based my comment on.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Okay fair enough. I just get fed up with the continual negative posts about speedway from gustix who probably last went to a meeting in the 1930's. 

At least he hasn't mentioned stock cars!

Yet... :unsure:

We all know the sport is in dire straits right now, but I will agree that all the ultra-negative posts from the same handful of posters does get tiresome...

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

At least he hasn't mentioned stock cars!

Yet... :unsure:

Why is there this bias from speedway supporters against stock cars aka short circuit car racing? I am on several Facebook groups devoted to the cars and cannot ever recall seeing an anti-speedway post. Maybe the anti-cars bias is a feeling of insecurity by speedway people?

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

Why is there this bias from speedway supporters against stock cars aka short circuit car racing? I am on several Facebook groups devoted to the cars and cannot ever recall seeing an anti-speedway post. Maybe the anti-cars bias is a feeling of insecurity by speedway people?

Or short circuit bike racing people...? :party:

5 hours ago, RS50 said:

Per retro speedway 84 venues shut in 70 years.

Then it must be more over 90 years - British speedway started at High Beech in February 1928.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Probably because of the damage they do. A Thursday speedway match at Sheffield once had to be called off due to the state track was left in after stock cars previous Sunday. Would not occur to them to return it to it's previous state. Also remember stock cars running on centre green at Owlerton despite repeated requests not to do so as it was used by a local football team. Clearly have no consideration for others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gustix said:

It is not a bias against stock cars at all. It is more that we are tired of the way that you turn 99% of speedway-related threads into a stock car thread.

And no, I am not saying that you shouldn't ever mention short-circuit car racing (people often compare speedway to football, cricket,  F1, and even darts) but in most cases, your comments seem irrelevant to the thread.

Steve

• Like 1

I would have thought that 200 Speedway Clubs have shut since 1928 but that amounts to about 180 tracks during the same period due to second teams running at the same venue then shutting.

8 hours ago, RS50 said:

Probably because of the damage they do. A Thursday speedway match at Sheffield once had to be called off due to the state track was left in after stock cars previous Sunday. Would not occur to them to return it to it's previous state. Also remember stock cars running on centre green at Owlerton despite repeated requests not to do so as it was used by a local football team. Clearly have no consideration for others. 

Same problems occured at Cowley during the early middle seventies.

All those now concerned about "negative" threads ( or opinions ) could perhaps look at this spin perspective. 

Numerous exciting close races have taken place during the 2019 UK season ( so far ). Several young riders likely " to go far" have made their mark in the Championship League.

Crowds at most tracks have held up in a year by year comparison ( with 2018 ). 23 tracks continue to run speedway matches & TV spectating numbers have soared. Triple World Champion Tai Woffinden made an excellent debut commentating on BT.

Draw your own conclusions about the state of UK speedway today. Nothing to worry about?

Edited by waytogo28
additional point made
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RS50 said:

Surely track preparation, centre green repairs (if needed) are the ultimate responsibility of the stadium rather than those who rent the place?

In a 'contact' formula stock car race a car can be pushed aside by an opponent and as a result unintentionally forced on to the centre green.