British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway since 1928

32 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Crowds at most tracks have held up in a year by year comparison ( with 2018 ). 23 tracks continue to run speedway matches & TV spectating numbers have soared. Triple World Champion Tai Woffinden made an excellent debut commentating on BT.

Can you clarify the statement re soaring TV spectating numbers?

3 hours ago, gustix said:

Can you clarify the statement re soaring TV spectating numbers?

Would it be a bit like Flat track is flourishing in Canada, because they host 9 meetings a year? Can you clarify what flourishing means? Each speedway track must in your opinion be flourishing , surely ?

5 hours ago, gustix said:

Surely track preparation, centre green repairs (if needed) are the ultimate responsibility of the stadium rather than those who rent the place?

In a 'contact' formula stock car race a car can be pushed aside by an opponent and as a result unintentionally forced on to the centre green.

The driving on the centre green I am referring to was repeated and deliberate despite repeated requests and a reasoned explanation that it was harming the surface for other users. I also seriously doubt that, in rented stadiums, landlords do track preparation.

2 hours ago, RS50 said:

The driving on the centre green I am referring to was repeated and deliberate despite repeated requests and a reasoned explanation that it was harming the surface for other users. I also seriously doubt that, in rented stadiums, landlords do track preparation.

Fair and respected comment RS50.

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Fair and respected comment RS50.

Any clarification on the use of ‘flourishing ‘ for Flat Track in Canada ?

8 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

All those now concerned about "negative" threads ( or opinions ) could perhaps look at this spin perspective. 

Numerous exciting close races have taken place during the 2019 UK season ( so far ). Several young riders likely " to go far" have made their mark in the Championship League.

Crowds at most tracks have held up in a year by year comparison ( with 2018 ). 23 tracks continue to run speedway matches & TV spectating numbers have soared. Triple World Champion Tai Woffinden made an excellent debut commentating on BT.

Draw your own conclusions about the state of UK speedway today. Nothing to worry about?

I didn't realise the number was as low as 23. You just take it for granted that a couple will fall by the wayside at the end of most seasons. 

12 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I didn't realise the number was as low as 23. You just take it for granted that a couple will fall by the wayside at the end of most seasons. 

Any anticipation/guesswork as to what tracks will cease to flourish and further reduce the diminishing strength of speedway as a mainstream sport in the UK?

I guess Startrax Stock Car Promotion could be wiped out over the next few months if the rumors about their 3 tracks are true... Can you see them moving into or building a track Gustix or is the fat lady singing the Startrax tune ?

25 minutes ago, gustix said:

25 minutes ago, gustix said:

It is interesting watching some of the vids of Flat Track Canada. They only have 9 meetings in basically one area(Ontario) at 9 different tracks. Some horse racing or trotting tracks etc. They just hire out and at the tracks I saw there was no spectator facilities around most of the stadium and it seemed quite sparsely populated. Do you think that this is what is needed for a ' flourishing' future for UK speedway ? Just hire out a few stadium for about 9 meetings per season ? Will this make the sport more successful in the UK, in our opinion?

I guess it is though a case of apples and coconuts. They both grow on trees, but have a very different taste. Speedway is basically a team sport, the basics of which to get that team feel is to have a base and have fans feel a connection to the team. Flat Track is just an amateur road show, like a circus traveling around. They don’t need a base. They might have a traveling following, but they might also rely on a few locals coming along for the novelty

Edited by iris123

22 hours ago, iris123 said:

I guess Startrax Stock Car Promotion could be wiped out over the next few months if the rumors about their 3 tracks are true... Can you see them moving into or building a track Gustix or is the fat lady singing the Startrax tune ?

Seemingly no Startrax at Belle Vue, Stoke and Sheffield in 2020? Possibility IMO is there could be a trackshare via Spedeworth Motorsports in regard to Mildenhall, Brafield, Birmingham Wheels, Aldershot and Ipswich.

Edited by Guest
spell

Why not Sheffield Gustrix? The Tigers maybe up for sale/open to investment but Owlerton Stadium is not for sale.A+S Leisure (owners)are in the process of having a massive multi million pound banqueting suite built.

17 hours ago, iris123 said:

11 hours ago, gustix said:

Seemingly no Startrax at Belle Vue, Stoke and Sheffield in 2020? Possibility IMO is there could be a trackshare via Spedeworth Motorsports in regard to Mildenhall, Brafield, Birmingham Wheels, Aldershot and Ipswich.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Why not Sheffield Gustix? The Tigers maybe up for sale/open to investment but Owlerton Stadium is not for sale.A+S Leisure (owners)are in the process of having a massive multi million pound banqueting suite built.

My response Andrew was based on the opening 'learned' quote. Startrax currently promote at Belle Vue, Sheffield and Stoke. The quote indicates that Startrax will cease at all three based 'on knowledge' that Poster has. 

Edited by Guest
spell