British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
porkypotter

potters v leicester cubs

well here we go again for one last time as the potters take on the cubs in the last ever meeting at loomer road. as per usual both teams have riders missing which is a shame but hey ho lets just enjoy it and hope it is a good and fitting match to end on. I am sure it will be a very emotional and sad evening. to hear dave tattum on local radio in the week was very hard to listen to and no matter what axe to grind with him anyone may have had in the past surely we can turn out in numbers and just enjoy some good racing on a very good track and do the promotion proud. for me this is probably the end of my time watching speedway as after reading about the sharp practice and manipulation going on at poole last night the premier league is not for me thank you very much. the win at all cost attitude of some promoters is doing the sport no favours and will drive good honest supporters away from the sport as it all leaves a bitter taste for some fans. anyway that is enough drivel from me so come on the potters lets go out with heads held high and good luck to all the riders on both sides but just a tad more luck for the potters please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm gutted that I can't be there. I'm abroad on holiday. 

I've been going to Loomer Road since 1980 and the first oponents I saw were Workington. Billy Burton broke the track record in heat 1. Rod North got a reserve maximum, and Ian Hindle scored about twice as many as the rest of the Comets put together.

I was hooked then, but now I'm just very sad at the way the sport is going.

Let's hope it's a fitting finale.

Up The Potters!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m coming up from Ipswich for this.  What’s the forecast weather wise ? 

Last time I went kevin teager was riding for sittingbourne. Must have been 23 years ago

8 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I’m coming up from Ipswich for this.  What’s the forecast weather wise ? 

Last time I went kevin teager was riding for sittingbourne. Must have been 23 years ago

hi Jason. the forecast is very good. its a lovely dry day today and should be the same tomorrow. hope you are coming to shout for the potters.

28 minutes ago, Longsufferingpotter said:

I've been going to Loomer Road since 1980 and the first oponents I saw were Workington. Billy Burton broke the track record in heat 1. Rod North got a reserve maximum, and Ian Hindle scored about twice as many as the rest of the Comets put together.

Up The Potters!

what a shame you have to miss this. like yourself I am becoming very sad the way the sport is going so perhaps some time away from it will either renew my enthusiasm or make me decide to walk away from it for good. we can only hope that at the agm the powers that be can realise the error of their ways and work together to put it back on track but don't hold your breath on that one and next season will just be the same old same old. come on the potters.

Have a good emotional night at Loomer Road tonight. For once the weather gods are behaving themselves, and don't be shy to shed a tear. My first last ever was at West Ham a lifetime ago, and i cried like a baby. I was only a wee lad at the time, so i had an excuse!

• Like 1

I will probably be coming up to this finale at Loomer road as the weather forcast is good, just sad to see the way our once great sport has gone over the last 20+ years or so, the powers that be have a lot to be accountable for they have presided over a long slow death of Speedway in the UK, whilst Dave Tatum may not be everyones cup of tea there can be no doubt he has always done his best to keep Speedway at Loomer road, its just unfortunate Speedway cannot compete with developers who just seem to sit back and wait for an oportune time to come in and buy up many Sport Stadia, Stoke,s time has come now and will join other long gone Stadiums given over to development it will be just a matter of time to wait and see who will be next.

3 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

I will probably be coming up to this finale at Loomer road as the weather forcast is good, just sad to see the way our once great sport has gone over the last 20+ years or so, the powers that be have a lot to be accountable for they have presided over a long slow death of Speedway in the UK, whilst Dave Tatum may not be everyones cup of tea there can be no doubt he has always done his best to keep Speedway at Loomer road, its just unfortunate Speedway cannot compete with developers who just seem to sit back and wait for an oportune time to come in and buy up many Sport Stadia, Stoke,s time has come now and will join other long gone Stadiums given over to development it will be just a matter of time to wait and see who will be next.

hi greyhound. yes the weather is perfect with lovely blue skies so it should be all systems go. I agree regarding the promoters but nobody can doubt dave tattums efforts to keep the team going when others may have walked away. I also agree that the powers that be are driving the sport into extinction. as I have already mentioned the poole situation stinks and a supposed injured rider on Thursday night turns in a near maximum the night after ( surely blatant rider manipulation ) but they are allowed to get away with it by the so called rule makers. anyway hope you make it up and have a good night. up the potters.

On behalf of myself and I'm sure I can speak for all my friends at both King's Lynn and Mildenhall, enjoy tonight in front of what I hope will be a massive crowd, as the hard work of all concerned over the past few years deserve that.

As cityrebel said, don't be shy to shed a tear, because I know if I was there, I would, and I'm a complete neutral, nobody wants to see a track close down.
Before moving to Norfolk to live, I'd been a life long fan of Wimbledon, and although on the day of their closure I had moved to my new home, Mike Bennett gave me honour of returning and filming the meeting for him (main camera), and I'm proud to say that I cried my eyes out during the final race, to the point where I couldn't see what I was doing.  
Let your emotions go and don't hold back, and feel proud to have supported your local club the Stoke 'Potters' through good times and bad.  I'm so pleased that I made the journey up for your KOC fixture against Plymouth earlier this year, and took some photos of the stadium and riders.

I wonder if there is any way that the promotions of Buxton & Stoke could join forces, and bring racing back to High-Edge Raceway, so that the fans of both clubs could continue to enjoy their favourite sport for many years to come still.

Whatever the future should hold for you loyal Potters fans, I wish you nothing but the best, and good luck to you all, I'm so, so sorry.. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

On behalf of myself and I'm sure I can speak for all my friends at both King's Lynn and Mildenhall, enjoy tonight in front of what I hope will be a massive crowd, as the hard work of all concerned over the past few years deserve that.

As cityrebel said, don't be shy to shed a tear, because I know if I was there, I would, and I'm a complete neutral, nobody wants to see a track close down.
Before moving to Norfolk to live, I'd been a life long fan of Wimbledon, and although on the day of their closure I had moved to my new home, Mike Bennett gave me honour of returning and filming the meeting for him (main camera), and I'm proud to say that I cried my eyes out during the final race, to the point where I couldn't see what I was doing.  
Let your emotions go and don't hold back, and feel proud to have supported your local club the Stoke 'Potters' through good times and bad.  I'm so pleased that I made the journey up for your KOC fixture against Plymouth earlier this year, and took some photos of the stadium and riders.

I wonder if there is any way that the promotions of Buxton & Stoke could join forces, and bring racing back to High-Edge Raceway, so that the fans of both clubs could continue to enjoy their favourite sport for many years to come still.

Whatever the future should hold for you loyal Potters fans, I wish you nothing but the best, and good luck to you all, I'm so, so sorry.. 

I was working on the track staff that wet night in June 1991. The rain drops camouflaged my tears. I must sound like a right wet blanket, it must be an age thing. At the last ever at Lakeside last year, there were no tears, just a sad resignation.

33 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I was working on the track staff that wet night in June 1991. The rain drops camouflaged my tears. I must sound like a right wet blanket, it must be an age thing. At the last ever at Lakeside last year, there were no tears, just a sad resignation.

Nothing wrong with showing emotion mate, it shows you/we care.

24 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Nothing wrong with showing emotion mate, it shows you/we care.

nice sentiments mimmo I am sure there will be plenty of tears tonight. my home town club was Coventry but I had left for pastures new before they closed but this is a bit more personal. I have had a bit more involvement through sponsorship and other things at stoke so am feeling it a bit harder. lets just hope it is a cracker of a meeting and the potters are victorious though with riders missing again I think it will be a tough ask. come on the potters do us proud.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 12:28 PM, Longsufferingpotter said:

Up The Potters!

I started going in 1980,I remember that afternoon robbo rode for the comets,and bastable rode three match races in the second half great memories.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, porkypotter said:

nice sentiments mimmo I am sure there will be plenty of tears tonight. my home town club was Coventry but I had left for pastures new before they closed but this is a bit more personal. I have had a bit more involvement through sponsorship and other things at stoke so am feeling it a bit harder. lets just hope it is a cracker of a meeting and the potters are victorious though with riders missing again I think it will be a tough ask. come on the potters do us proud.

well as expected the lion cubs were just too strong for the potters although the potters rode hard and gave it everything. an excellent night with a very large crowd made for a good atmosphere for our last hurrah. big thanks to dave tattum and all his band of workers and nice to see him getting warmly applauded for all his efforts. cheerio potters.

• Like 1