British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Tommy Knudsen

44 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Recall the occasion when Swindon's Shawn McConnell played to the gallery when about to cross the finishing line only to be passed by Oxford's Jens Rasmussen who claimed the point!

Joe screen was the best wheelier of those times . no feet  .or standing on the pushbar . continuing round the turn sometimes , on the theme of ridiculous refs decisions . I remember rick miller being the only rider in a race .and getting excluded for pulling wheelies , "not making a valid effort to race "

Edited by adonis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bruno said:

We're wheelies banned at one point?

If I recall the referees during the England vs. USA Test series (1986) were under instructions to exclude any rider who performed a 'wheelie'...hence Wiggy's exclusion. Think the ref on that occasion was Paul Ackroyd?

Edited by steve roberts

18 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall the referees during the England vs. USA Test series (1986) were under instructions to exclude any rider who performed a 'wheelie'...hence Wiggy's exclusion. Think the ref on that occasion was Paul Ackroyd?

I couldn't remember the year, but yes, wheelies were banned for a while. Caused a big stink...

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 3:07 PM, chunky said:

I couldn't remember the year, but yes, wheelies were banned for a while. Caused a big stink...

I bet the riders felt like "rearing up" over that decision.:D

On 10/12/2019 at 10:23 AM, adonis said:

Joe screen was the best wheelier of those times . no feet  .or standing on the pushbar . continuing round the turn sometimes , on the theme of ridiculous refs decisions . I remember rick miller being the only rider in a race .and getting excluded for pulling wheelies , "not making a valid effort to race "

Yes it does amuse me when it's suggested that the Yanks were the best exponents of the art!

Edited by steve roberts

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, chunky said:

Didn't then World Champion Hans Nielsen continue to defy the new ruling? Quite rightly, the rule was dumped before the authorities could further drain every ounce of entertainment from proceedings.

2 hours ago, tmc said:

Didn't then World Champion Hans Nielsen continue to defy the new ruling? Quite rightly, the rule was dumped before the authorities could further drain every ounce of entertainment from proceedings.

Hans defied it at the 1986 BLRC at Hyde Road.  He eased to the championship with a 15-point maximum and pulled a few defiant wheelies as he crossed the finishing line. Paul Ackroyd was again the unlucky man in charge and this time he ignored the SCB directive issued by Dick Bracher. Fortunately, the ridiculous "wheelie ban" was dropped after 1986.

PS When Oxford went to Reading on the August Bank Holiday that year, Bernard Crapper refused to be team manager, because Paul Ackroyd was referee, and John Tremblin stood in.  Of course, the two men made up when Ackroyd became Crapper's successor as SRBF secretary.

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, steve roberts said:

Recall the occasion when Swindon's Shawn McConnell played to the gallery when about to cross the finishing line only to be passed by Oxford's Jens Rasmussen who claimed the point!

I remember that too. Very funny.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, steve roberts said:

Yes it does amuse me when it's suggested that the Yanks were the best exponents of the art!

They have obviously never seen Neil Collins with his wheel an inch in the air :rofl:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, iainb said:

They have obviously never seen Neil Collins with his wheel an inch in the air :rofl:

Erik Gundersen was another who didn't perfect 'wheelies'...or I certainly never saw him do so and I did see a lot of him during the many clashes between the "Cheetahs" and "Heathens".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Erik Gundersen was another who didn't perfect 'wheelies'...or I certainly never saw him do so and I did see a lot of him during the many clashes between the "Cheetahs" and "Heathens".

I can't even ever remember him trying tbh

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I can't even ever remember him trying tbh

I often remember Erik arriving at the first bend after the tapes had risen having his front wheel just inches off the ground before placing it down before entering the bend. Whether this was his way of gathering traction or just a reactionary thing I don't know but I certainly don't recall him pulling wheelies in the traditional sense.

Remember Bob Humphreys riding for Milton Keynes at Powderhall, coming out of the bends onto the straight his front wheel hovered about a foot off the ground virtually the full length of the straight,he was in perfect control,perfect set up I reckon.Superb skill.

• Like 1