British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle vs Redcar 15/09/19 SGB Championship. 6.30pm

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Overcast - but no rain forecast.  Might be a bit chilly later on.

Bring some coal to keep warm:D

25 minutes ago, MaugerDiamond said:

How are the two Redcar riders after the trip to hospital?

bit morbid isnt it 

Hope the 2 lads are ok as the crash sounded horrendous.

Be a terrible shame if injuries were a deciding factor in the end of the season for the Bears.

Ulle at reserve makes a massive difference for the Diamonds.

3 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Be a terrible shame if injuries were a deciding factor in the end of the season for the Bears.

I think any rider who started the season at no1 riding at no7 would make a big difference !! 

Just now, bigred said:

I think any rider who started the season at no1 riding at no7 would make a big difference !! 

Fair point - can’t have happened very often, if ever?

14 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Think Steve Boxall did for Rye house but must of been close as he was knocking in the points at reserve and moved up.

1 hour ago, soupy said:

Think Steve Boxall did for Rye house but must of been close as he was knocking in the points at reserve and moved up.

Think Matej Kus did it at Berwick also....

Kus went from reserve to Number 1 at Berwick.

14 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

14 hours ago, bigred said:

14 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

Honestly

It happened last year at Workington when they won the lot (H18tory) and got the treble up; Rene Bach had a month at reserve after starting (and ending) the season at No 1 and it was one of the reasons Workington did as well as they did do because they always had a rider dropping into the reserve berth who could score points which took the pressure off young Kyle Bickley and of course allowed them to take the extra rides when it mattered. (and sensible team management of course) (Especially at Ipswich for the away win)

With the experienced riders Newcastle have you would have thought they would have done better than where they have ended up in the league (2nd bottom) and you cant fault Martin Phillips for his team build strategy it "looked a very good team on paper" with strength in depth; however we all know how often that little saying is proven wrong. After all Workington were stitched on "Wooden Spoon" candidates at he start of the 2018 season and look what happened there.

It seems to have been the case that not enough of the Newcastle riders could/can perform together on a race night to knock out the wins. Sheffield away proving the point with three of the team doing the necessary and there not being a fourth rider who could step up to the plate (not withstanding the injury to TJ and Matty being missing) (and why no guest for Matty?) and this has been the same for the whole season.

When Worky did the treble at least four and sometimes five of the riders pulled the stops out and supported the team by scoring points covering for the two/three riders who were having off nights and this rotated throughout the team and at the end of the season there wasn't a full point difference between the positions 1 to 6 across the averages (0.87 in fact) with the top three riders averages dropping and only Jensen; Bewley and Campton upping their averages and Young Dan missed half the season through injury. (is this why we love the sport?)

So as stated fair play to Martin he provided what looked like a very competitive team on paper that unfortunately as a team haven't lived up to expectations and if they all did click in a meeting someone would be on for a hiding but its a big if? and all of them in the top 1 to 6 (including Clegg) are capable of knocking in double figure scores (and have done so) but when only one; two and on the odd occasion three of them have done it together its not been enough to carry the win. Never mind there is always next year...

On the riders who were involved in the crash which was a "bad one" and I heard after the meeting they both have potentially season ending injuries if the early prognosis by the track doctors are correct, which is such a shame as Redcar were coming good for the business end of the season and were looking the part. MPT seemed to pick up extra drive coming out of the second bend on the 3rd lap and the bike reared up and he came off the back and then young Nathan ploughed right into him which did look horrendous. (and very painful)

Good luck to both of them and here's hoping they get well soon; and good luck to Redcar in the play offs and I agree it will be "a terrible shame if injuries were a deciding factor in the end of the season for the Bears" and it will be a tough ask with two key riders being out injured but here is one "Jawdee" who will be rooting for you. So whether its the Lions the Tigers or Wyverns!!! go get um Bears... Oh My... Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh My!!! Oh and that Wyvern thingy that isn't really a Wyvern but I wont go there...

Good luck Bears on whoever you get in the play offs...

Regards
THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

It happened last year at Workington when they won the lot (H18tory) and got the treble up; Rene Bach had a month at reserve after starting (and ending) the season at No 1 and it was one of the reasons Workington did as well as they did do because they always had a rider dropping into the reserve berth who could score points which took the pressure off young Kyle Bickley and of course allowed them to take the extra rides when it mattered. (and sensible team management of course) (Especially at Ipswich for the away win)

With the experienced riders Newcastle have you would have thought they would have done better than where they have ended up in the league (2nd bottom) and you cant fault Martin Phillips for his team build strategy it "looked a very good team on paper" with strength in depth; however we all know how often that little saying is proven wrong. After all Workington were stitched on "Wooden Spoon" candidates at he start of the 2018 season and look what happened there.

It seems to have been the case that not enough of the Newcastle riders could/can perform together on a race night to knock out the wins. Sheffield away proving the point with three of the team doing the necessary and there not being a fourth rider who could step up to the plate (not withstanding the injury to TJ and Matty being missing) (and why no guest for Matty?) and this has been the same for the whole season.

When Worky did the treble at least four and sometimes five of the riders pulled the stops out and supported the team by scoring points covering for the two/three riders who were having off nights and this rotated throughout the team and at the end of the season there wasn't a full point difference between the positions 1 to 6 across the averages (0.87 in fact) with the top three riders averages dropping and only Jensen; Bewly and Campton upping their averages and Young Dan missed half the season through injury. (is this why we love the sport?)

So as stated fair play to Martin he provided what looked like a very competitive team on paper that unfortunately as a team haven't lived up to expectations and if they all did click in a meeting someone would be on for a hiding but its a big if? and all of them in the top 1 to 6 (including Clegg) are capable of knocking in double figure scores (and have done so) but when only one; two and on the odd occasion three of them have done it together its not been enough to carry the win. Never mind there is always next year...

On the riders who were involved in the crash which was a "bad one" and I heard after the meeting they both have potentially season ending injuries if the early prognosis by the track doctors are correct, which is such a shame as Redcar were coming good for the business end of the season and were looking the part. MPT seemed to pick up extra drive coming out of the second bend on the 3rd lap and the bike reared up and he came off the back and then young Nathan ploughed right into him which did look horrendous. (and very painful)

Good luck to both of them and here's hoping they get well soon; and good luck to Redcar in the play offs and I agree it will be "a terrible shame if injuries were a deciding factor in the end of the season for the Bears" and it will be a tough ask with two key riders being out injured but here is one "Jawdee" who will be rooting for you. So whether its the Lions the Tigers or Wyverns!!! go get um Bears... Oh My... Lions and Tigers and Bears... Oh My!!! Oh and that Wyvern thingy that isn't really a Wyvern but I wont go there...

Good luck Bears on whoever you get in the play offs...

Regards
THJ 

Now who was that team manager at ippo that night john???:party:

30 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Now who was that team manager at ippo that night john???:party:

Honestly... Geoff I am far to modest to say...

Arrrggghhh OK a cant hold me water any more it was me ME; me me me me me me me me me me me me me me... Oh... the relief...  there a said it... it was me!!! and again being ever so modest Steve Lawson pointed out I am the only Comets team manger with a 100% win record and away from home to boot... it was the best £16 quid I ever spent for the BSPA "Manager for a day" licence I had to buy to do the job... and what an honour it was... and definitely worth listening too (or puttin up with) Boozer Bewley snoring in the back of the van all the way back home... (he slept all the way from Ippo to Penrith and when he woke up he said he hadn't been asleep but rather just "restin his eyes" until both Dan and me pointed out he was doing a dam good impression of someone snoring all the way back as the radio didn't even drown him out) (and he whipped the spare bike tyre!!! you can take the boy out of Maryport but you cant  take Maryport out of the boy... Tut Tut... he says he didn't but I seen)

Also not to claim all the glory I did get some help from Dickie Jull who was a great motivating force as I didn't know any Danish swear words but he translated my instructions brilliantly... cheers Dickie...

Yeah... happy memories... 

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

From the Bears website:-

Michael Palm Toft and Nathan Greaves were involved in a horrific crash during last night’s Championship League clash at Newcastle. Michael lifted coming off turn 2 during heat 12, falling from the rear of his bike and was run over by Nathan Greaves who was unable to avoid his fallen teammate. Both riders were taken straight to hospital for treatment, with Nathan being discharged after X-Rays.
Nathan has sustained tissue and some ligament damage to his leg and hip, escaping without any breaks. Unfortunately, Michael has a fracture to one the vertebrae in his back and severe bruising to his chest and lungs. He has been kept Newcastle’s RVI Hospital for further assessment and monitoring.
Nathan is hopeful that he will return before the end of the Agilia Bears season, but Michael has not been so fortunate, with his season coming to an end.
We would like to wish both riders a speedy recovery and will keep you updated with their progress.

So we might see Nathan again but it will be guests for MPT. Hope both guys recover quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

From the Bears website:-

Michael Palm Toft and Nathan Greaves were involved in a horrific crash during last night’s Championship League clash at Newcastle. Michael lifted coming off turn 2 during heat 12, falling from the rear of his bike and was run over by Nathan Greaves who was unable to avoid his fallen teammate. Both riders were taken straight to hospital for treatment, with Nathan being discharged after X-Rays.
Nathan has sustained tissue and some ligament damage to his leg and hip, escaping without any breaks. Unfortunately, Michael has a fracture to one the vertebrae in his back and severe bruising to his chest and lungs. He has been kept Newcastle’s RVI Hospital for further assessment and monitoring.
Nathan is hopeful that he will return before the end of the Agilia Bears season, but Michael has not been so fortunate, with his season coming to an end.
We would like to wish both riders a speedy recovery and will keep you updated with their progress.

So we might see Nathan again but it will be guests for MPT. Hope both guys recover quickly.

Speedy recovery to both guys ,bit unlucky for Bears at a vital time,but that’s Speedway.