British Speedway Forum
Baldyman

Poole v Ipswich today

47 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Perhaps they gonna see what happens tonight, as we can beat Swindon at home. If we lose to Ipswich surely we would pick Swindon??! 

You beat Swindon 46-44 when R/R and Covatti (at 6) scored 15+4 between them.........you fancy Covatti (at 2) and THJ to replicate that lol

You have beat Ipswich twice at home both times without Kurtz....and won twice at Foxhall, the first time with a weakened team

Go ahead , pick Swindon, what a daft daft decision.....but hey you might get 300 more through the gate........but no final oops

7 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

No didnt mean Poole been told Swindon will pick Poole if they finish top.

Yes i know that and ive also said in this thread it would be madness for either team to pick each other............but more so Poole picking Swindon as Swindon are the better side

As things stand at the moment, Poole won't be picking Swindon, but Swindon may well pick Poole to guarantee two bumper crowds (home and away).  Assuming Swindon beat Poole then a Swindon v Wolves final will also draw great crowds for both, as would Poole ve Wolves to be fair.

10 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Don't worry Wolfie. Head and Brick wall always come to mind when Gavan is commenting on Poole (When isn't he?).

I fully understand where you and CVS are coming from.

Wrong again

Ive commented many times that its daft for either team to pick each other

I ask you who would be favourites in a 2 leg affair of Poole v Swindon......im sure you agree it would be Swindon

So i can understand in some ways why Swindon might see Poole as a route to the final

Please enlighten me why Poole would pick Swindon??? 

As ive explained it cant be over money...........ive been told Poole will likely get 400 more v Swindon then the other two

A semi final crowd of say 1400 vs Swindon over a semi final crowd of say 1000 v Ipswich.

Poole lose to Swindon........season over

OR.......

A semi final crowd of a 1000 v Ipswich............and then a final crowd of 1400 v Swindon or 1000 v Wolves

Even my youngest child could work those maths out as to which is the better business sense

Oh and ive no idea what crowds Poole get im just using those figures to prove my point

Edited by Gavan

At the end of the day Gav, it's up to them what they do, at when the play offs are over you can then laugh at them. 

And if they pick each other its possibly better for ipswich

Edited by Baldyman

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

As things stand at the moment, Poole won't be picking Swindon, but Swindon may well pick Poole to guarantee two bumper crowds (home and away).  Assuming Swindon beat Poole then a Swindon v Wolves final will also draw great crowds for both, as would Poole ve Wolves to be fair.

Still makes no sense to me

Swindon have thumped Ipswich both home and away recently....yet just to get money in they would rather take on their local rivals

Im missing something as if it was my team i would want the easiest route to the final

Its like getting to the semi finals of the FA Cup with Liverpool (Swindon) Everton (Poole), West Ham (Wolves) and Cardiff (Ipswich) ..............then saying 'ok Everton you get the pick of who you want in the semi finals' ...........'hmm well West Ham would be tough and obviously Cardiff would be the easiest.....but we will go for Liverpool because although we would likely be beat it will be a big crowd'...................same as if Liverpool chose....' although we are favourites we will take our local rivals and hope we still get through' .....

Sorry the whole aspect of choosing a side because of money shows the state the sport is in to me

17 minutes ago, Gavan said:

You beat Swindon 46-44 when R/R and Covatti (at 6) scored 15+4 between them.........you fancy Covatti (at 2) and THJ to replicate that lol

You have beat Ipswich twice at home both times without Kurtz....and won twice at Foxhall, the first time with a weakened team

Go ahead , pick Swindon, what a daft daft decision.....but hey you might get 300 more through the gate........but no final oops

Bit more than 300! Lol. Doesn't really matter if we beat Ipswich months ago, different team they have now! See what happens tonight. 

16 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

At the end of the day Gav, it's up to them what they do, at when the play offs are over you can then laugh at them. 

And if they pick each other its possibly better for ipswich

Yes watching Wolves thrash Ippo home and away would make good tv. 

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

But if you go by what Gav always does,,, their form riders Becker and Douglas only scored 1 each on last visit.     Not that it makes any difference,,,, don't think they would thrash us at all, Bomber loves wolves,,, so we keep getting told

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Is that the same Wolves team that we drew 45-45 at recently..and the same Wolves side that thumped you 55-35 (when r/r and Covatti got 12 between them).......and against us Becker was at reserve and against you he was in the main body....oh and we have Niels as well now

Is that the same team that we beat twice at home this season

Is that the same Wolves side that recently won at Poole (oh yes Covatti and THJ got 3 between them)....................and the same Wolves side that lost at Poole earlier in the season (oh yes Covatti and Worrall got 13 in that match.......)

I would think its more likely Poole that would get thumped by Wolves .......dont you

No way should Ipswich be 11/1 for the play offs

Tonight could be quite close wlth Witches being +6 to +8 with the bookmakers 

Edited by mickthemuppet

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Yep and ive said in response on this thread that if either side didnt pick Ipswich it makes no sense.

Please tell me how only having one match (say a semi final Poole v Swindon) is financially better than having a semi final and final (Poole v Ipswich then Poole v Swindon/Wolves....or Swindon v Ipswich then Swindon v Poole/Wolves?)

I think Swindon would beat Poole over 2 legs but surely Swindon fancy there chances of beating Ipswich over 2 legs more than they do facing Poole

I hope whoever finishes top out of Swindon or Poole do pick each other then it would serve them right if they got beat..........Poole to finish top and have one match v Swindon , or pick Ipswich and have 2 matches

If my team finished top and Kings Lynn were the strong in form team in the play offs then there is no way id want them in the semis, local rivals or not.

Sorry but ive no idea why Poole or Swindon would pick each other

I got shot down the other month by Lord remainer Shovlar when i dared to suggest that Poole would be one of the weakest left in the playoffs.Of course they have my total respect and there record is all there to be seen over the last twenty years but myself personally would rather ride Poole than Wolves/Ipswich.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ray c said:

Semi final i reckon should be 1 v. 4.  2 v.  3 simple really

Would be a good way to do it.

All i know is that if my team finished top i would want them to pick the weakest of the other 3.............i want to be in the final

As i said there is an argument for Swindon if they finish top to pick Poole as they would be favourites to win that match

I cant understand why for the life of me Poole if they come top would choose Swindon.....makes no sense even from a financial point of view.....im struggling to see how one home match (should Poole lose) can be financially better then 2 matches whoever they are against