British Speedway Forum
Baldyman

Poole v Ipswich today

I think we can all agree the track was bumpy but not dangerous as some have said, unfortunately the track has become another stick to beat us with but we will rise above it. I hope we beat Kings Lynn and get the chance to pick Ipswich as they are a poor team compared to Wolves or Swindon. Ipswich track is smooth usually but very boring due to its shape.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So I was there in my usual seat high up in the grandstand and watching it live as well as just watched the TV coverage for a different view.

Firstly I thought the referee's decisions were spot on apart from allowing Danny King's rolling start, including all the startline warnings.

Yes the 1-2 bend had some bumps which quite honestly weren't there last week!! I don't know how or why although the rest of the circuit rode very well for everyone. I do know that the track guys could only get on the track from mid afternoon because of the greyhounds and auction which is not usually the case but can happen on Monday meetings. Not sure if that had any bearing on matters last night. Race times were on a par - if not slightly faster - than last Thursday.

As for the track being dangerous - as according to some its been for several years(?) - you'd think that riders would have worked it out by now?! Lawson was quick all night; King did his usual good first half then tailed off; Bomber was Bomber and NKI likewise.

Anyway onto the racing, Poole won but it wasn't as easy as the score might suggest. Beforehand many were saying Poole's reserves and former reserve Covatti were the  weakpoints but they proved everyone wrong as it was a couple of heatleaders that were below par. Particularly pleased for THJ who was in a German hospital for 6 hours on Saturday after a Longtrack crash and as the TV showed was clearly suffering with an arm injury!! Both reserves got paid 7 - no complaints there. Nico Covatti was immense, setting his best time of the season beating NKI in heat 1

I guess with only one remaining league meeting left, if we are to make the final then Nicolai will likely be at number 1 from October 1.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Ipswich’s shape is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. 

25 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Ipswich’s shape is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. 

I wouldn't know I haven't been many times, just judging on this season.

I don't think it's even the shape so much,, but more down to prep, maintaining track during meetings and really old style graders they drag behind tractors. A wonder wheel may be much better, and possibly more water and less grading. 

4 hours ago, Pinny said:

It’s about time someone put Lisa collette down. Painful reading her posts. 

You don't have to read them. 

6 minutes ago, TommyTanker said:

I don't think it's even the shape so much,, but more down to prep, maintaining track during meetings and really old style graders they drag behind tractors. A wonder wheel may be much better, and possibly more water and less grading. 

I have to say that I learned something new last Saturday (I try to remain open minded). I had several reasons for attending the final meeting at Stoke but what I witnessed was somewhat extraordinary. The track was clearly well prepared. The gates were fair. There were several racing lines and the quality of racing was good throughout. Not particularly noteworthy (actually it is, but) there were no men with rakes and there was no track grading. No tractors, nothing. I've never seen the like before. Someone should employ those (redundant) folk. Maybe they'd like a southern seaside employment location?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

So I was there in my usual seat high up in the grandstand and watching it live as well as just watched the TV coverage for a different view.

Firstly I thought the referee's decisions were spot on apart from allowing Danny King's rolling start, including all the startline warnings.

Yes the 1-2 bend had some bumps which quite honestly weren't there last week!! I don't know how or why although the rest of the circuit rode very well for everyone. I do know that the track guys could only get on the track from mid afternoon because of the greyhounds and auction which is not usually the case but can happen on Monday meetings. Not sure if that had any bearing on matters last night. Race times were on a par - if not slightly faster - than last Thursday.

As for the track being dangerous - as according to some its been for several years(?) - you'd think that riders would have worked it out by now?! Lawson was quick all night; King did his usual good first half then tailed off; Bomber was Bomber and NKI likewise.

Anyway onto the racing, Poole won but it wasn't as easy as the score might suggest. Beforehand many were saying Poole's reserves and former reserve Covatti were the  weakpoints but they proved everyone wrong as it was a couple of heatleaders that were below par. Particularly pleased for THJ who was in a German hospital for 6 hours on Saturday after a Longtrack crash and as the TV showed was clearly suffering with an arm injury!! Both reserves got paid 7 - no complaints there. Nico Covatti was immense, setting his best time of the season beating NKI in heat 1

I guess with only one remaining league meeting left, if we are to make the final then Nicolai will likely be at number 1 from October 1.

Onwards and upwards.

It wasnt as easy as the score would suggest correct

Perhaps you could tell Mr Shovlar that as he thought it should have been a rout.

Some Ipswich riders were definately riding within themselves namely Iversen

Pooles reserves did ok last night but our reserves arent that great and i would think Wolves 6/7 would destroy Pooles

2 minutes ago, Gavan said:

It wasnt as easy as the score would suggest correct

Perhaps you could tell Mr Shovlar that as he thought it should have been a rout.

Some Ipswich riders were definately riding within themselves namely Iversen

Pooles reserves did ok last night but our reserves arent that great and i would think Wolves 6/7 would destroy Pooles

Wolves reserves would destroy any teams reserves and are better than some heat leaders and that is why they will win. Iversen will ride within himself in the playoffs too, why get injured at this time of year.

13 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Wolves reserves would destroy any teams reserves and are better than some heat leaders and that is why they will win. Iversen will ride within himself in the playoffs too, why get injured at this time of year.

He rode within himself because he did not trust the track.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Niels hasnt ridden at Poole this season and was openly critical of the track last season. He looked fast but didnt put himself in any position where the track could have caught him out.

Its a bit daft to think riders will ride within themselves in the play offs............does that mean nobody is giving 100%

The track last night was shocking and bordering dangerous.......the match meant nothing .....the Cardiff GP is at the weekend.....3 good reason for Iversen not to put it all on the line

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

He rode within himself because he did not trust the track.

That was one of the reasons yes

15 hours ago, 89buttons said:

Tbh in reference to the tactical while in agreement Hawkins regularly fluffs the use of tac sub. He did make a point of saying in meeting preview the result of tonight’s meeting doesn’t have any affect for us but it’s a good chance to get some extra practise and test some things during the meeting so perhaps it’s agreed everyone getting all 4 rides tonight as we may we’ll be back here next week in playoffs

Hawkins might say the result didn't matter but I think they'd rather face Poole in the semis than Swindon. 

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Hawkins might say the result didn't matter but I think they'd rather face Poole in the semis than Swindon. 

Agreed, we really didnt want to win that last night we have more chance against Poole then we do Swindon

Its only certain Poole fans who want Swindon lol

16 minutes ago, Gavan said:

The track last night was shocking and bordering dangerous.......the match meant nothing .....the Cardiff GP is at the weekend.....3 good reason for Iversen not to put it all on the line

That was one of the reasons yes

And your a track expert are you ? Hmm. Not.

Edited by Starman2006

Ipswich had nothing to lose or gain so they were always going to go ‘through the motions’ on a track which had a few lumps and bumps. They may even have experimented with set ups etc.

Can’t imagine any of the 28 riders not giving 100% come the Play Offs. 

Edited by Bagpuss