British Speedway Forum
Baldyman

Poole v Ipswich today

9 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Speedway is heading down the F1 road, the only time there is an overtake is if someone makes a mistake 

You will see plenty of overtaking at the smooth Swindon track, especially by the Swindon riders when Poole are the opposition.

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Riders don't like unpredictable tracks..

They race much closer together on tracks when they feel it's conducive to do so..

Overtaking through mistakes isn't really too exciting to watch as invariably it means most races over the whole meeting will be strung out as riders reduce their chances of injury. Particularly injury caused by mistakes from anyone in front who then collect them..

Poole's (or anywheres) bumps and hollows won't encourage riders to take the risks that sometimes are needed to deliver great entertainment..

If that is correct, why are there so many more serious injuries on the smooth, well maintained and prepared Polish tracks??

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

You will see plenty of overtaking at the smooth Swindon track, especially by the Swindon riders when Poole are the opposition.

Well we shall see, if you do get past Poole in the playoffs if we meet, don't fancy your chances against Wolverhampton 

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

I thought it was Kings Lynn but you could be right, it definitely isn't Ipswich though which was my point.

But what IS your point exactly? Do you honestly think riders give a sh!t who owns their contract? Are you basically saying here, if Iversen was riding for Lynn in the play offs, he would be trying harder than he will for Ipswich?

Is Facebook still a thing? The social media thing where people post what they had for tea?

Always struck me as a platform for needy insecure people who are desperate for “likes” and compliments. It’s a pass from me. 

Maybe im just a grumpy old fart these days..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fliss44 said:

Bless you for such a polite and mature reply. I would certainly agree that once upon a time one could have banter with you. How times have changed.

Banter!? You mean when you just constantly slag off a club and I bite my tongue? Not any banter I've ever heard of. What is banter about saying someone should be killed? I've just decided not to bite my tongue anymore, a shock to a few of you it seems! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

If that is correct, why are there so many more serious injuries on the smooth, well maintained and prepared Polish tracks??

If it's factual... (?)

I would suggest it's down to the riders racing in much closer proximity to each other due to having more confidence in the track surface (which proves my point that it delivers better racing) and also because they get paid much more so that risk v reward is much more enticing, resulting again in much closer racing...

And then of course you have the pressure on them to perform each week to keep those fantastic contracts, as well as ultimately a fanbase that expects and demands you to deliver (and let's you know in no uncertain terms if you don't)..

Seem to remember Scott Nicholls mentioning how he hoped racing would improve the other week at the GP once 'the riders could trust the track'...

It didn't really improve much as they remained strung out, suggesting they never really trusted it to take any undue risks..

If the NSS was full of bumps and hollows you can 1000% be sure the racing wouldn't be as close, and therefore, as good to watch..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Banter!? You mean when you just constantly slag off a club and I bite my tongue? Not any banter I've ever heard of. What is banter about saying someone should be killed? I've just decided not to bite my tongue anymore, a shock to a few of you it seems! 

I've never known you to bite your tongue -- you are souring with age. My opinions on Poole's track is shared by many. I think we will have to agree to disagree -- I doubt we have anything in common anyway although we once shared pleasantries on Social Media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur54 said:

Well I was there, and there does seem to be a problem with the track entering bend 1, which they can't seem to rectify, but the rest of the track was fine 

I agree, the infamous bend 1 rut/hole seems to have reappeared but the rest of the track was OK.

Odd considering last week Cookie described it as "in great shape .. and was really enjoyable to race on" And we all know that he would be the first to moan if it wasn't right.

19 minutes ago, fliss44 said:

I've never known you to bite your tongue -- you are souring with age. My opinions on Poole's track is shared by many. I think we will have to agree to disagree -- I doubt we have anything in common anyway although we once shared pleasantries on Social Media.

Ah Social Media where you constantly slag anything that Poole do off, not just the track (nice try though) and I didn't retaliate by slagging every thing Coventry did off. Therefore I bit my tongue. Actually I didn't really say anything to you slagging Poole off on FB. I just rolled my eyes. Maybe I should have then you might have realised how ridiculous you were. You are definitely more bitter with age. Guess you are a very disappointed Poole didn't get shut down. I'm sure that would have made your year!

I find it very baffling if you are friends with someone on FB (back when we were..) why you would constantly slag and run down the team they support to them and expect them to be okay with it.  I don't think I would ever do that to a 'friend'. Maybe look up the definition if you are unsure on the meaning.There was no banter just nastiness (from your side.)

There. I feel so much better now, been wanting to say that for years :)

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

asAh Social Media where you constantly slag anything that Poole do off, not just the track (nice try though) and I didn't retaliate by slagging every thing Coventry did off. Therefore I bit my tongue. Actually I didn't really say anything to you slagging Poole off on FB. I just rolled my eyes. Maybe I should have then you might have realised how ridiculous you were. You are definitely more bitter with age. Guess you are a very disappointed Poole didn't get shut down. I'm sure that would have made your year!

I find it very baffling if you are friends with someone on FB (back when we were..) why you would constantly slag and run down the team they support to them and expect them to be okay with it.  I don't think I would ever do that to a 'friend'. Maybe look up the definition if you are unsure on the meaning.There was no banter just nastiness (from your side.)

Lisa I think you have it bad. MANY years ago I would share banter with Coventry fans and Poole fans alike.. We would have a laugh and you used to join in (that is banter). I would never wish any stadium to close down as it's heartbreaking at the time. I rarely follow live speedway these days but still watch it on TV. and try to attend Cardiff every year. You seem to have been bearing resentment for years and I'm glad you feel better. Perhaps your resentment and bitterness will now dissipate and we can consider this an end. Continue to enjoy your speedway while you can as one day it may not be there.

Edited by fliss44

56 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Ah Social Media where you constantly slag anything that Poole do off, not just the track (nice try though) and I didn't retaliate by slagging every thing Coventry did off. Therefore I bit my tongue. Actually I didn't really say anything to you slagging Poole off on FB. I just rolled my eyes. Maybe I should have then you might have realised how ridiculous you were. You are definitely more bitter with age. Guess you are a very disappointed Poole didn't get shut down. I'm sure that would have made your year!

You're not having a good few weeks here are you ? 

• Haha 1

OMG - so much bitterness.  Back to the speedway - that’s bound to cheer everyone up :wink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Is Facebook still a thing? The social media thing where people post what they had for tea?

Always struck me as a platform for needy insecure people who are desperate for “likes” and compliments. It’s a pass from me. 

Maybe im just a grumpy old fart these days..

Facebook is just a platform, all the other groups use it