British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Ipswich Play Off Semi 1st leg. 23/9/19

13 hours ago, Suffolkpunch said:

Richard Lawson will ride for Ipswich on Saturday as i am sure Eastbourne will release him for the night as the meeting against Birmingham is nothing more than a challenge match. It would be much better having a 1-7 against Poole.

Its a league match on a championship day eastbourne have first and only call on him.

Eastbourne meeting is a league meeting so really they got priority unless all parties agree otherwise ps natalie has tweeted that Saturday meeting is live on bt 

Edited by ray c
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Its a league match on a championship day eastbourne have first and only call on him.

It’s a league meeting after the cut off date so should lose its priority to a more important meeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Call me wolfie said:

The Eastbourne meeting is taking place after the cut off date for league meetings to be completed, therefore, I would think, loses its priority status

Just now, stevebrum said:

It’s a league meeting after the cut off date so should lose its priority to a more important meeting.

The rule is quite clear and doesn't include any qualification regarding the cut-off date. However, as we know all rules in Speedway are subject to the caveat that Management Committee can make a decision 'in the best interests of the sport', and it may be that ensuring the most attractive line-up for the sport's media partner comes firmly under that heading.

• Like 2

I’d have thought it would be common sense to let Lawson ride for Ipswich and grant Eastbourne a facility? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I’d have thought it would be common sense to let Lawson ride for Ipswich and grant Eastbourne a facility? 

Bet you wouldn't think that if you were an Eastbourne fan:P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I guess this is a re-arrangement too.So in the best interests of the sport he should be made available to Ipswich imo.

2 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Will the second leg on Saturday be televised?

yes.

4 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Will the second leg on Saturday be televised?

https://ipswichwitches.co/changes-to-play-off-dates/

The ‘Tru Plant’ Witches will now face the Poole Pirates in the Premiership Play-Off semi-final with amended dates to those published originally.

Ipswich were due to travel to Dorset on Monday 23rd September but due to the poor weather forecast on the south coast, the away leg has been moved to Thursday 26th September with the return fixture at Foxhall now taking place on Saturday 28th September.

The other semi-final will be contested between the Swindon Robins and the Wolverhampton Wolves.

Wolverhampton’s home leg will be on Monday 30th September before they head to the Abbey Stadium on Thursday 3rd October.

The final will take place over two legs the following week on Monday 7th October and Thursday 10th October.

All play-off fixtures will also be live on BT Sport but make sure you don’t miss a big night for the town at Foxhall next Saturday.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Bet you wouldn't think that if you were an Eastbourne fan:P

We’ve just had two dead rubber matches at Lynn last week and I can honestly say that if Cook or Riss were needed elsewhere for a meaningful fixture I’d have accepted that completely. 

I hope Lawson is available to ride. Would be ridiculous for him to miss a playoff meeting. Though at the same time why should Eastbourne miss out?

I'm hoping Lawson rides for Eastbourne, and in the best interest of the sport we get a high scoring guest,, cos everyone knows for the best interest of the sport it would be better if Ipswich knock out Poole 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I hope Lawson is available to ride. Would be ridiculous for him to miss a playoff meeting. Though at the same time why should Eastbourne miss out?

It would be ridiculous for him to miss a vital play off meeting when his championship meeting is no longer a valid league meeting after the Play Offs cut off date.

4 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

It would be ridiculous for him to miss a vital play off meeting when his championship meeting is no longer a valid league meeting after the Play Offs cut off date.

It is still a valid league match. The cut-off date is simply an arbitrary date to allow the play-off teams to be known. The season carries on until 31st October. I would expect the matter had been discussed and resolved prior to the date being announced.