British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Ipswich Play Off Semi 1st leg. 23/9/19

42 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Well Iversen didn't make that much of a difference at all, he needs to come to the party Saturday but 10 points should see Pirates home.

Still can go either way, but is a decent lead. 

2 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Whole seasons work screwed up in 6 little races, never mind always next year. 

Think we should give Poole as much credit as any grief that is aimed at the Witches boys

It would've been easy for them to have thrown in the towel - instead they came out swinging

Fair play to them :t:

Most Witches fans would've settled for 10 points before the start - Its still in the balance

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

How did that happen? I don't watch much speedway these days but how did the team I've followed since a boy throw that away? From totally in control to under dogs in 6 heats my my! 

It started last week when everyone thought it was a good idea not to beat the Pirates. You reap what you sow,,,,, and we sowed nothing, and got nothing. 

Snowflakes have taken over the asylum

15 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Still can go either way, but is a decent lead. 

I said prior to the meeting it would be an easy home win, without the rain making conditions difficult the second leg would be a formality, I think 10 is enough even though law of averages says Ipswich have to beat Poole if they manage it this weekend I cant see it being by more than 10, with Serjeant the Withches are a 6 man team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Think we should give Poole as much credit as any grief that is aimed at the Witches boys

It would've been easy for them to have thrown in the towel - instead they came out swinging

Most Witches fans would've settled for 10 points before the start - Its still in the balance

Forever the politician, would they have been happy before the start if they were told they were 12 up with the chance of going even further ahead had a change been made, but wasn't, and then to end up losing by 10,,, different anawer me thinks

3 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Ten is a bit iffy, imo in the away leg you need to keep it to 8 or under. Though I am rubbish at predictions so who knows.

Before the start i wanted 12, but happy with 10 after being 12 down. Wolves or Swindon wouldn't have given us a second chance though. 

6 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Ten is a bit iffy, imo in the away leg you need to keep it to 8 or under. Though I am rubbish at predictions so who knows.

Before the start i wanted 12, but happy with 10 after being 12 down. Wolves or Swindon wouldn't have given us a second chance though. 

10 is ok bearing in mind no TS in the play offs. Gating boots required at Ippo and we could do with Jack not taking 2 races to warm up. Bit concerned with THJ, looked like he has to have assistance to take his helmet off after his last race.

• Like 1

Just got back. I don’t think I have ever in my 46 years of watching speedway ever seen a meeting of two halves like that. It was quite frankly ridiculous. 

I got to the stadium at 6.30 and they were watering the track. Then at 7 pm there was a short sharp shower which lasted about 5 minutes. Enough to wet the ground. The track still looked in very good condition though.

However, as the riders came to tapes in heat one we got another shower which lasted 2-3 mins. The track looked a little greasy. What the rain had done, together with the heavy rain we have had over the last two days, had made it greasy and tricky. The outside line by the fence came into play and the Ipswich riders were gating and getting straight out wide and then were impossible to catch. We were being mullered. To such an extent that by heat 8, and 12 points down, all hope had vanished into the ether and everyone around me, myself included, chilled and accepted that this season was not going to be our season. It really was men against boys. Led by Chris Harris who was revelling in the racing conditions. There was no holding him out, and with Lawson proved a potent force. 

Then something happened. Klindt and Josh G gated over King and held him off to reduce the gap to 8. But the next heat proved false hope as Harris won a good battle with Covatti and Brady was last. Ten down and looking at the Ipswich team it was hard to see where we would get a heat advantage from, when you consider how well the Witches riders were doing.

Heat 11 and a shock 5-1. Holder who had been poor in his first two rides popped out with a battling THJ, in front of Iversen. We were wondering how long it would take Iversen to split our boys but as the laps went on he wasn’t closing. A remarkable and unexpected 5-1 to reduce the deficit to 6. 

THJ was then brought out in place of Wells in the next and what a cracking race it was. THJ gated with Klindt but Harris got between them and then started to chase down and pass THJ. They battled side by side for a lap before Harris charged under THJ entering lap four but THJ wasn’t moving and Harris touched THJ calling a slide off. The fact that Harris also fell gave the game away and an awarded 5-1 meant there was only two in it. 

Heat 13 and it was game on. Poole gated and a challenge from Iversen petered out and beyond our wildest dreams we were two up. Thoughts were that we could possibly draw or win the meeting.

Heat 14 and the wheels had come off the Ipswich bus as THJ and Josh G gated and won at a canter.

In heat 15 I must admit I was surprised at the Poole picks but it turned into another great race with Harris climbing all over the Pirates for three laps before charging under both entering the 4th lap. The Poole boys then going either side of Harris to stun the crowd and open up a ten point lead to take to the second leg. 

It’s far from over. Middlo said afterwards at the press conference he would have been happy with 8 before the meeting and very happy with ten. Ipswich will come back hard at us after this. The team to go through is far from decided. I will say if we hadn’t had that rain Poole wouldn’t have been so poor in the first half.

THJ was named rider of the night. He said he was much happier with his performance. So were we.

I have never seen a team collapse like that. From being utterly dominant to losing 6 of the last 7 heats by 5-1 or 32-10 is frankly ridiculous.

And people say Middlo is not a good manager! He doesn’t know what losing is about, unlike myself who had given up the ghost.

Sorry for the length of this post.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pirate Nick said:

10 is ok bearing in mind no TS in the play offs. Gating boots required at Ippo and we could do with Jack not taking 2 races to warm up. Bit concerned with THJ, looked like he has to have assistance to take his helmet off after his last race.

He was fine in the press conference where he got Rotn. 

• Like 1

With no TacSub rides I would suggest ten points is doable..

Particularly if Ippo rip up the track and make it heavy...

We saw tonight how Poole struggled until the track went slick so maybe Ippo need to take advantage of this..

At least it makes the 2nd leg interesting for us neutrals..

(As much as we are neutrals).. :D

Fair play tonight to Poole for digging deep, and overall not a bad advert for the sport...:t:

12 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Ipswich won't rip up the track and make it heavy, it will be mainly down to gating. 

You see, you are giving up far too easy..

Simply tell Buster that as an Ipswich fan you know the only way for Ippo to get to the final is to prepare the track devoid of dirt..

Basically tell him that Ipswich need a billiard table type smooth surface with hardly a smattering of shale..

A 'gaters paradise' if you will...

That way you can guarantee a track with six inches of loose stuff that you could grow taters in... :D

Edited by mikebv

WTF was that? It was little other than a total farce on an awful track.

Who did Ipswich sign NKI as replacement for? It's with a heavy heart I say this because for a time he was my favourite GP rider but bring back whoever he replaced because that was the second awful showing from him that I've unfortunately witnessed in a couple of weeks.

Could no one in the Ipswich side of the pits figure out that Middlo's genius team talk was? Tell the Poole riders to set their bikes up to gate & ride the white line, while telling the track re+grade team to scrape the nitro boost near the fence exiting turn two?

Middlo is clearly more genius than Hawkins & Louis.

At least the Pirates should make the final a contest. The Witches would be steam rollered by either Wolves or Swindon.