British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Ipswich Play Off Semi 1st leg. 23/9/19

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

With no TacSub rides I would suggest ten points is doable..

Particularly if Ippo rip up the track and make it heavy...

We saw tonight how Poole struggled until the track went slick so maybe Ippo need to take advantage of this..

At least it makes the 2nd leg interesting for us neutrals..

(As much as we are neutrals).. :D

Fair play tonight to Poole for digging deep, and overall not a bad advert for the sport...:t:

Teams have tried this before against us, and tends to catch out the home team more as it isn't how it normally is. They need to have it how the Ippo riders want it and take it from there 

I'm not giving up,,, I just know exactly what we will get, they never prep it for towards the Ipswich riders,,, seen it year after year after year and on and on. Seen a few meetings over the years where a deeper gripper rougher track would be what's needed, and everytime a Bald slick gate and go is what ya get, it's as common as an Ipswich implosion. 

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

With no TacSub rides I would suggest ten points is doable..

Particularly if Ippo rip up the track and make it heavy...

We saw tonight how Poole struggled until the track went slick so maybe Ippo need to take advantage of this..

At least it makes the 2nd leg interesting for us neutrals..

(As much as we are neutrals).. :D

Fair play tonight to Poole for digging deep, and overall not a bad advert for the sport...:t:

The track tonight was never slick. Track times were 4 seconds off the norm and the fastest time was just under 63 seconds, which would have been the slowest race of the season before tonight.

Nice smooth track tonight as well. No bumps. 

• Like 2

Thank god for Harris,that would have been a pretty dull match if he wasn't riding.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

I'm not giving up,,, I just know exactly what we will get, they never prep it for towards the Ipswich riders,,, seen it year after year after year and on and on. Seen a few meetings over the years where a deeper gripper rougher track would be what's needed, and everytime a Bald slick gate and go is what ya get, it's as common as an Ipswich implosion. 

Trying to change the setup of the track catches out the home riders setup. Tonight was a prime example when the track was different (rain caused) the home team suffered. Ipswich will set it up like every week so their riders know their setups, or they will be chasing for it during the meeting.

I think Saturday is balanced on a knife edge. 50-50 either team could go through.

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The track tonight was never slick. Track times were 4 seconds off the norm and the fastest time was just under 63 seconds, which would have been the slowest race of the season before tonight.

Nice smooth track tonight as well. No bumps. 

No lumps but huge waves exiting bend 2, you can see them bobbing up and down, at one time I'm sure I saw one pop back up with an apple in his mouth 

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Trying to change the setup of the track catches out the home riders setup. Tonight was a prime example when the track was different (rain caused) the home team suffered. Ipswich will set it up like every week so their riders know their setups, or they will be chasing for it during the meeting.

I think Saturday is balanced on a knife edge. 50-50 either team could go through.

It does change for the riders, but I'm sure if asked, the majority of our riders would prefer a track they can make passes on, not one set up for the likes of Klindt. 

What a meeting as said in previous comments in all my 20yrs following never seen a comeback like it i had given up tbh once ipswich went 10 up with Harris and Lawson just damage limitation,couldnt quite believe my eyes what a comeback,10pt lead is a reasonable lead im very happy with that and a well deserved rider of the night to THJ crucial 5-1s in 12 and 14 to back up the top end. Get in there!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

I personally think Hawkins has made the right calls.In my head i would be thinking Sargeant  won't score whoever he rides against.So Hawkins has left him or put him in the races where he isn't up against the reserves of Poole.This has left Allen against them who you would like to think would beat them.You don't want Wells picking up points in the meeting by pitching Sargeant against him.

Yep, nothing wrong with his calls at all.

Leave Sarj in heat 9 when 12 up. Allen would be needed later on. 

As it happens a truly crazy turnaround. 

When the track has rain on it it always favours the away side to start with.

Poole yet again proving they can never be written off in the play offs, must be favourites as well.

• Like 2

So don't put him in on gate 4 when he been riding up by the fence? Rubbish, oh and how did it go using him later when track not so good for him? Oh yeah, rubbish. Why wouldn't you try to keep building your lead knowing Poole could turn it around,,,, that's right, you wouldn't. 

What utter bullhang

And look what happened doing it your way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

Edited by Baldyman

An absolute shambles from Ipswich, Harris apart, in the final 7 heats. The very least they should have got from the position they were in was a victory on the night. Clearly, no one bright enough to realise the conditions had changed and they needed to get out of the traps in the later races.

7 from 5 rides by PUK is absolutely scandalous. Not looking such a good decision to bring him in to the team, especially with how bad James Sarjeant rode tonight.  Riders like him have no place in the Elite League. Doesn’t even demolish the tapes anymore.

Ipswich can do this but they have made this so much harder than it needed to be. All riders have to be on it and get at the Pirates early to get the aggregate close and put the pressure back on the ‘underdogs’. 

Edited by theblueboy
P*** poor grammar.

Middleditch team talk: "£50, £100, £150, £200, £250, £300, £350....................."

Hawkins team talk: "How much? Bollocks to that". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Hawkins is getting a raw deal here, makes perfect sense to get Sarjeant and Heeps’ rides done as early as possible and for Allen’s last three rides to be against reserves. Don’t think that was at all responsible for the collapse. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think Hawkins is getting a raw deal here, makes perfect sense to get Sarjeant and Heeps’ rides done as early as possible and for Allen’s last three rides to be against reserves. Don’t think that was at all responsible for the collapse. 

Kinda agree there tbh,the track was changing every race and as a team manager should have had some influence in the pits especially when we started getting 5-1s plus the riders using there heads and changing there set ups,both of there faults tbh they seemed quite complacent expecting to win from 30 18 up and it cost them.... hahaha 

Well that was a meeting of two halves thankfully, Middo what a top man, he should get all the plaudits for the result. Well done THJ, i didn't think you had that in you anymore but come the playoffs for the Pirates you always perform. Wells back to Belle Vue form, hope he is better at Ipswich,going to be tough but we can do it.